Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome???

Has anyone ever taken off their switch housings and lever brackets, and had them chromed?? Is it of more value than buying new already chromed parts?? Are these made of a material that can be chromed?? What would I have to do to prepare them for to be chromed?? What about the brake reservoir?? I have an "08" Ultra and want these parts to be chrome. I don't mind paying the price for the pieces already chromed but, I don't want any fitment issues. Which way should I go??

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A high quality chrome plaiter like Brown's will produce better quality chrome than you can usually buy in a shop. They also usually have an exchange program that will reduce your down time. You have to do nothing to the parts other than ship 'em.

Certain parts, brake calipers, brake reservoirs, threaded parts, etc. take special care since plaiting adds material that may interfere with fit & sealing. If you elect to send parts to a plaiter pick one with a good reputation.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider - if you buy chromed parts, you can offset some of the cost by selling your painted parts. In my experience platers prices/quality vary wildly - get a quote and testimonials before you decide.
I agree custom platers CAN do a better job if they're good. Prep work is the key.
Don't know if you're familiar with the process but it is pretty involved.
Stripping, polishing, masking/plugging, zincating (aluminum), copper plating, nickel plating, then finally chrome plating. And depending on the desired final finish, such as show chrome - polishing between plating steps.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Another thing to consider - if you buy chromed parts, you can offset some of the cost by selling your painted parts. In my experience platers prices/quality vary wildly - get a quote and testimonials before you decide.
I agree custom platers CAN do a better job if they're good. Prep work is the key.
Don't know if you're familiar with the process but it is pretty involved.
Stripping, polishing, masking/plugging, zincating (aluminum), copper plating, nickel plating, then finally chrome plating. And depending on the desired final finish, such as show chrome - polishing between plating steps.
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had goos success with Chromemaster's in Nashville TN...also, S&H Chrome in Madison TN.
Brown's does a nice job, too.

Most of these chromers want the parts TOTALLY disassembled, and it would be to your advantage to do this. Say you want to chrome a caliper and didn't disassemble it. Caliper has 4 pistons, you may only get 3 back.

Anyway, chrome shops do better work than the production stuff you can buy already chromed.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sending my levers out to be anodized black. 100 dollars for black ones from harley or I can go 2 days without my bike (which don't matter cause it's ****ing raining) and get mine done for free.

In other words if it's cheaper, then go for it.