Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling difference between 09 and 08-earlier Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Handling difference between 09 and 08-earlier Road Glide

Seen a bunch of posts and reports comparing the handling difference between the 09 and 08-earlier E/S/U Glides.

But what about the Road Glide??? A few people have posted having one and their impressions. But what about people who traded up to an 09 or own an 08 or earlier and have test rode an 09. Is there a big difference??? Was it possible to make the good ride and handling even better???

Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Touring bikes all share the same frame so I'd think the RG will be stiffer too. I have not ridden one yet. I want to keep the 07 for another year or two before I get the next one and I know that if I really liked the 09 I would just buy the damned thing.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

I know the touring frames are all the same. But the handling on the RG was superior to the batwings before the new frame. What I was curious about is with the new frame is the handling even better that the RG's on the old frame.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:07 AM
skydoc
Banned

I traded up to an '09 from an '08. Stability, handling and tracking are much improved with the new chassis & wide rear end.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
I know the touring frames are all the same. But the handling on the RG was superior to the batwings before the new frame. What I was curious about is with the new frame is the handling even better that the RG's on the old frame.
Go ride one. I test rode an '09 Road Glide a couple of weeks ago. Overall, I think it's an improvement. I didn't feel any of the looseness of the earlier frames, the drive line was tight, & the bike handled well. It did have a whine in all gears, but it didn't bother me since I didn't own it. The seat is higher off the ground regardless of what the MoCo says. The TBW has the standard off-idle lag that takes about 3 or 4 standing starts to get used to, & of course it was totally stock which made it a lot less comfortable than the '07 I've adjusted to fit me.

The '09 is a nice improvement, but I wouldn't change just for the improvements. If you're already in the market for a new bike it'll be well worth the cost over a left over '08. If you're buyin' just because it's "new & improved" you'll have to justify the expenditure of "discretionary funds".

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tested rode my buddy's 09' RG.
Stability and handling was better, the 17" front tire made turn in
feel lighter.
I too believe the seat height is higher than the 08'.
Needs a 1- 1.5" rear drop and higher handle bars, then it
would be ).).

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
kwoodard
2nd Gear
Default 2009 Road Glide Compared to 2007

I presently own a 2007 Road Glide with 16,500 miles on it.I have the Ultra Tour Pak and all of the Ultra amenities on the Road Glide and truly love this bike.My buddy manages a Harley dealership and has been kind enough to let me ride a 2009 for the past 10 days to get my impressions.This will be one of the bikes in the rental fleet. These are my opinions of what I have found.Everything that is the same, I will not mention to keep it short.

1.The new wheels are growing on me and the more I look at them the more I like them.

2.The new wide tire and wider fender do give the bike a more custom/tricked look.I still like the old bike with smaller tire.

3.Overall look improvements, I give them a AAAA.

4.The issue of handling.I think the Road Glides are the best handling Tour Bikes Harley makes.I heard that the new bikes handle better before I rode the new one.The new bike is quicker to react.The bike also rides stiffer.I also have a 2008 Street Glide and the stiffness of the new RG suspension almost feels like I am on my SG.The 2007 RG has a more cushy ride to it.I think that the bigger wheels and new tires may be alot of the reasons for this.I like the 2009 alot, but would not go and trade my 07 in for one.

5.The heat question.This is what I have found to be the biggest improvement that HD has made to these bikes.I left the dealership and spent 20 minutes in traffic on the interstate has soon I as left.Just for fun, I let the bike run and I am here to tell you that I had hardly any heat problems.If I was on my 2007, I would have had to kill the bike.HD has really fixed this problem and these bikes are awsome.

Overall I think HD has done a great job on the changes to the new touring line.I have been riding Harley's for the past 15 years along with all sorts of other makes.I am glad to see Harley doing changes that may bring people over to start riding HD's.With all of this being said,HD hit a homerun on these bikes.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Great feed back guys. Thanks!!!