Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Metz 880s New Vibration - 2 sets

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:16 PM
oldhippie
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Inflation

I will check what this set is inflated to. I just put these on and I'm betting they are inflated to 40. Which is what we landed at with the others.

So mine are MT and MU tires, what did he say they should be run at?

This 2nd set I have maybe put 30 miles on.. going out to put a few more on. I'll try the 42/48 settings you suggest.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:26 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the Avons. Couple of guys I know have them , both with great results.

Old 10-01-2008 | 04:31 PM
RenoGlide
Tourer

Something to consider...

With a stock set-up with stock pulley, when you balance the rear tire you are also balancing the pulley as well.... an assembly

With the IDS, most shops remove the pulley and balance the tire without the pulley section on it. The pulley has rotating mass to it & it spins at the same speed as the wheel... so if the pulley is out of balance & then not balanced with the wheel assembly, it could set up a harmonic vibration when installed back together. Also, see if they lost one of the rubber bumpers inside.

Just an idea

Jim
Fast Aire

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:13 PM
oldhippie
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RenoGlide
Something to consider...

With a stock set-up with stock pulley, when you balance the rear tire you are also balancing the pulley as well.... an assembly

With the IDS, most shops remove the pulley and balance the tire without the pulley section on it. The pulley has rotating mass to it & it spins at the same speed as the wheel... so if the pulley is out of balance & then not balanced with the wheel assembly, it could set up a harmonic vibration when installed back together. Also, see if they lost one of the rubber bumpers inside.

Just an idea

Jim
Fast Aire
This is a very good point and I made it to the Indy, they said they didn't take it off, but it is still suspect in my mind. Maybe time to take it off and inspect the rubbers.

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:33 PM
Lincolnhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by 88b
I spent the best part of an hour talking with a German Metzler technician at European bike week, as I was concerned about the 880's on my RG and had two big slides on the way there in the alps. I've read on several forums about tyre pressures in Metzlers needing to be much higher than Dunlops. Here's what he told me.
All numeric sized Metzlers are made in Brazil ie 140 / 80 /16 etc.
Alpha numeric's are made in Germany that's like the Harley Dunlop sizeing MU90 16 etc.
The numerics made in Brazil should be inflated to 52 psi rear and 50 psi front when fitted, after 50 to 100 miles not exceeding 60 mph drop the pressures to 48 / 50 rear and 38 / 42 front. He made it clear you need to give the tyre a minimum of 50 miles to break in and remove the mould release oils etc.
I inflated my tyres to 42 front and 48 rear, it handles better with no rain problems.

I'd say both sets of tyres the indy fitted were from the same batch and could have a problem, but what were they inflated to and did you give them a gentle first 50 or 100 miles ?
My 880's say max pressure is 42lbs,,,,,,,are you over inflating?

thanks

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:50 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

If you still have your old tire....the Dunlop that you took off the rear.....try reinstalling that tire (make sure they do balance it also), and see if the problem is still there.

If I had to bet money I would say its the guy balancing the tire. I would look for another indi or HD dealer and just bring them the rear wheel and ask them to balance it.....see how that goes.

90% of the time when I am buying new tires for myself (and I always stick with Metz ME880's) I take them to one indi shop where I know they have a nice new balance machine, and the guy knows it inside and out. I have NEVER had a problem with any of the ME880's I used......even the one that did say Brazil as country of origin.

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:41 PM
07uc
Intermediate

I had the same trouble, but it was on my Victory, never could figure it out. We went through 3 sets of tires, I got tired of it and going to eat the tires and go with a different set i.e Company. I know this doesn't help just letting you know I feel your pain. Good Luck

Old 10-03-2008 | 11:11 PM
oldhippie
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Fixed!!

Well, this will teach me to take a Harley to a Honda dealer.

Turns out I take it up to Manadnock HD and tell them the long sad story. They graciously say they will take it in and look it over real careful and not just throw another set of rubber on it, unless that's the only thing left.

I bring it up Thursday evening and they take it in and tell me they'll work on it in the AM. First thing in the AM the mechanic calls me and talks to me for 10 mins about the story all over again. He says he'll be thorough. They call back an hour later and say they really can't feel what I'm talking about, but they think they found the problem anyway and would I come up and test ride it?

Seems they found the front wheel put on backwards. The tire direction was correct, but the wheel was backwards and you tell that by the way the air valve points. It turns out that Harley, in it's infinite wisdom decided to take R marked disc rotors and mount them on the left side, and L labeled disc rotors and mount them on the right side. They do this as it decreases brake squeal complaints.

So, the original installer must have taken the wheel off without really noticing much and then went to figure out how to mount the tire and maybe saw those little markings on the rotors and said "oh, this must mean right side/left side" and mounted the wheel backwards. (tire going right way) The Harley mechanic says that even though the wheel fits that way, there are bearings in the wheel that are different on each side and it may in fact cause some weird behavior.

So I took it out. Smoooooooth as a baby's ***.

Yahooooooooo.

Old 10-03-2008 | 11:14 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Well, this will teach me to take a Harley to a Honda dealer.

So I took it out. Smoooooooth as a baby's ***.

Yahooooooooo.
I sort of suspected it had absolutely nothing at all to do with the ME880's.

Old 10-03-2008 | 11:22 PM
oldhippie
|
Stellar HDF Member

Yep.. I'm kicking myself for not noticing the air valve on the wrong side, because I played with the pressure a few times.

Did you ever hear or see any story like that about the markings on the disc rotors? That was a new thing on me, and I've never seen it written about anyplace.

Quick Reply: New Metz 880s New Vibration - 2 sets