Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder and Bubbled Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Master Cylinder and Bubbled Paint

I see it on all-too-many bikes. The brake fluid has buggered up the finish on the control levers (master cylinder seepage). I've seen polished aluminum eaten up, paint peeled off, etc.

HD OEM controls are painted black. Mine bubbled up sometime right after the 1000m checkup (of course this isn't a warranty issue). Looks like hell (oddly, it's just the master cylinder section....the switch housings are fine).

I actually like the black look. I don't really want chrome controls or chrome switches (nor do I want to pay HD another $500 for something I feel should have come from the factory with the ability to resist being eaten by it's contents).

Are there any other options? Will powder coating stand up better than re-painting?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:48 PM
dbuff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 also and mine did the same thing, dealer replaced under warranty no questions asked.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirdup

HD OEM controls are painted black. Mine bubbled up sometime right after the 1000m checkup (of course this isn't a warranty issue). Looks like hell (oddly, it's just the master cylinder section....the switch housings are fine).
Every scoot comes with a 2year factory warranty beginning from the date of purchase. This is covered under warranty. Make the dealer replace your cover and gasket.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Had it happen on my front master cylinder on my old Heritage. Cleaned off the bubbled paint and lightly sanded the area. Washed the affected area with a cloth soaked in solvent. Masked of the area around the master cylinder and covered the rest of the bike. Sprayed red primer on the exposed area and then sprayed on satin black paint.

The end result was pretty good. Sorry, no pics, but make sure the master cylinder cover is on snugly and both screws are tightened evenly or it will happen again.

Also, if you plan on removing the master cylinder cover, make sure the handlebars are turned to the left so that the top of the master cylinder cover is as level as possible. Cover any ares below the master cylinder that might get dripped on if any brake fluid leaks out when you remove the cover.

Brake fluid is one of the best paint removers - especially when it gets on something you do not want to remove the paint from.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sand and repaint ... I need to also

Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer told me it's very common on the 07's. Replaced the entire assy under warranty.
There was an issue with a vendor on the flatness of the m/c cover. Tried to get them to put on a chrome m/c cover since they are the same price as the black ones. No go.....

Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I am Jerry
Road Master

My '06 was leaking, I didn't figure they would put the chrome one on so I just bought one myself and it fixed it. Luckily I caught it before it did any damage.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:51 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been powder coating for about 10 years and do a LOT of master cylinders. Never had a problem including the ones on mine and my wife's bikes that have been done for years. Get them powder coated and be done with the problems.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's DOT 4 for ya!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
hogdvr
Cruiser

It's covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder and Bubbled Paint