Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder and Bubbled Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Id be talking to that dealer of yours my paint has had no problems yet but i have had my gasket replaced 3 times and last time they put a new top on no questions asked and all covered under warranty. next time iam letting it eat the paint and getting a chrome one.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same peeling on master cyclinder cover just above the rubber gasket yesterday. Was figuring non-warranty as cosmetic. Will go to dealer and see if they will cover since I have seen several posts saying they had theirs replaced under warranty. Still got 2 months left on the 2 year warranty.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Thirdup
Tourer

I asked the service writer about it before I did my 5k (myself). He told me that they had no way of knowing who had last opened the res to check the levels (and thus no way of knowing if it had been re-sealed properly). Told me it wasn't covered.

Of course, it was just a wrinkle in the paint then. Now every edge of the lever and res is bubbled up or missing paint.

There is a new service guy at the dealership. I guess it won't hurt to ask him before my warranty is up next month.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirdup
I asked the service writer about it before I did my 5k (myself). He told me that they had no way of knowing who had last opened the res to check the levels (and thus no way of knowing if it had been re-sealed properly). Told me it wasn't covered.

Of course, it was just a wrinkle in the paint then. Now every edge of the lever and res is bubbled up or missing paint.

There is a new service guy at the dealership. I guess it won't hurt to ask him before my warranty is up next month.

Similar deal here. Some will, some won't. 2 shops here in B'ham owned by same person. Different service guys, of course. Heart of Dixie said no because they did not have any record of it before I had Indy work on bars, cables, etc. The friggin thing was leaking/peeling b4. I swung by Rider's (other store) they didn't even hesitate and said they'd cover it. I had two weeks left on warranty but said fugit. I never had it done. one day I'll prolly sand and paint or go chrome.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

did the warranty thing twice. finally got two chrome covers from j&p 68 bucks total. problem solved. no leaks

Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 PM
dgretz
Tourer

Stopped by dealer today and showed them the peeling. Said will take care of it under warranty. Goes in 10/20 to fix.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you can do to solve the problem is to drain and flush the master cyl and the rest of the system with DOT5. Just make sure you bleed a entire can or so of DOT5 through the system so you know you got all the DOT4 out. The DOT5 dont eat the paint as badly as the DOT4, so between that and installing a better cover or powder coat your problems should be gone for good.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

not to go too far off topic here, but considering how hygroscopic DOT4 is, and the safety implications of that after 2 years, plus the paint peeling quality that rivals 5F5, why the fark doesn't HD go to a synthetic dot 5 and resolve the paint issue, the reduced boiling point with age issue, and the corrosion that causes calipers to hang up issue.

Now remember boys and girls, you can not mix DOT5 fluid with any dot 4, 3 or 5.1 fluids. BUT if you were rebuilding/replacing a master, and upgrading your lines and rebuilding or replacing the calipers, so you have a pretty dry system to start with you can use DOT5 synthetic for the refill.