Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 AM
swwilson77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .

Last edited by swwilson77; 02-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 16" apes on my 02 RK and love them. Keep in mind tho, that the longest ride I have done with them is about 300 miles in a day. For my longer rides and touring with the wife I ride my fairing bike. At 6'3" the apes feel really comfortable and natural.

And yes, the "cuz they look cool" thing is definately an added bonus!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

+2 on what hoz88 said I have 16" on my softail and love em

Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

they are illegal for many reasons beside looking stupid. hands should not be above the heart for extended periods. watch riders shaking circulation back into their hands at stop lights. you must be able to keep your hands on the controls at all times in any manuever and many cannot in a tight parking lot turn.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

16" for comfort...i'm already a cool mf

Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
deloache
Novice

u have 7 years of riding experience, im sure the apes felt weird, im a rook and i had the stock handle bars on mine for a couple thousand miles, switched to apes in my sig and it felt pretty weird at first but after about 20 miles i was in my groove. they look cool but im a big guy so i feel alot better with the apes. i kept hitting my knee on sharp turns with the stock bars.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
baron3547
Cruiser
Default besides looking stupid...

Originally Posted by huffhuff
they are illegal for many reasons beside looking stupid. hands should not be above the heart for extended periods. watch riders shaking circulation back into their hands at stop lights. you must be able to keep your hands on the controls at all times in any manuever and many cannot in a tight parking lot turn.
I have 16" ape hangars and they are more comfortable then beach bars in my opinion.

I am the only one in my group that rides with apehangers and everybody shakes their hands when they go numb.

I can also lock my bars during a u-turn. I can make a tighter u-turn

As far as looking stupid...you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

It's just a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, apes on a RK are sweet looking. I don't have them on mine, but that doesn't mean I can't admire them on yours. It goes back to the old saying, if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
miketami
Cruiser

Originally Posted by huffhuff
They are illegal for many reasons, all of them make no sence, especialy you comment on hands above the heart. Put your hands at 2 and 10 oclock in my truck and your hands will be above your heart.

I have 16" apes and love them, and will take any figure 8 challenge you want to throw at me with the apes.

Shaking my hands out, I ride my wifes heritage and have to do that, so realy no diff for me there. My hands get tiered on either, weak grip I guess.

I allways love how people have no problem with things they dont like being illegal. And safety is allways the reason. got news - motorcycles are not safe!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I like how people who are afraid of APES are the ones who can tell you all the reasons why they are no good. been riding with 16's for last 15 years and I can make turns

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .