Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

We all have different ideas on what looks cool and what is comfortable. Look at the pics of all our bikes - many different bikes, almost none exactly alike. Me? I don't the appeal of apes. Don't like the look, don't find them comfortable, but, it's cool with me that other people dig them. On a chopper style bike, to a point, for me, they work. On a Road King? I'd put them right up there with bolting a lawn chair to the hood of a Bentley as a hood ornament.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHROME LADY
Ah, one of my favorite aspects of riding.........APES!
I'm 5'8" and have 2 full riding seasons under my chaps (hee hee ). Last summer, CNC Wheel Guy and I put apes on our 05 Deluxe's. He had them first on his and I took it for a ride. I was very nervous at first and they did feel uncomfortable...for about a minute! I love them and so does my physical therapist. I never have a knot in my neck and the have helped me with physical therapy for my lower back. I have 14" Wild One Chubby's with a 2" riser. CNC has 18" Nash Gimp hangers with a 2" riser. I am now getting ideas for my 06 Street Glide. I'm thinking of Monkey Bagger Bars (Yaffee) or Cyclesmiths. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

I have the Monkey bars and I like them very much, and they look good too.
I did 2800 miles in 6 days and felt no ill affects

Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
scg1953. I would like to see a pic of your RKC with the 14"ers. I'm thinking about those for my RK.
txfxstrider, here's a pic of my RK with 14" Chubby's (I will be going to 16"s soon)

Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM
jarman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 18"s on a Road King and love 'em

I'm running 18's on my Road King and love'em. Check out the attachment. Cruising the Dragon without any problem. Most who shoot them down don't ride with them. I put 25,000 miles on mine over the past two years

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .-imga_3758.jpg  
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Sp0rtster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mirrors

I notice nearly all the pics of bikes with apes have the mirrors mounted above the grips as I suppose they are designed to be. I've seen many a bike with apes have the mirrors hung below the grips. What are your thoughts on that? I'm putting 12" chubbs on my RK soon, I like how the mirrors look hung low, but am curious about issues with visibility. I still prefer saftey and function over style. Maybe I'll grow out of that some day.
thx.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

I've always run high bars. Keeps my back straight and comfy. Right at shoulder height...

Attached Thumbnails Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .-2-of-my-bikes.jpg   Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .-2-of-my-bikes-2-.jpg   Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .-2-of-my-bikes-3-cropped.jpg  
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 10"s on my Y2K RK and wished I had put 14"
Better than the damn highbars though.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

Don't see any point to it.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
TMART
Road Master

Dont think I would personally like them,but on a RK they look dam sweet!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sp0rtster
I notice nearly all the pics of bikes with apes have the mirrors mounted above the grips as I suppose they are designed to be. I've seen many a bike with apes have the mirrors hung below the grips. What are your thoughts on that? I'm putting 12" chubbs on my RK soon, I like how the mirrors look hung low, but am curious about issues with visibility. I still prefer saftey and function over style. Maybe I'll grow out of that some day.
thx.
With stock bars I would have to adjust mirrors outward to not see my arm in 1/4 of the mirror. As soon as I drove away from getting my 14" apes on, I noticed that I could see the whole road behind me with absoloutely no obstruction. I's like a panoramic view of the complete roadway. I think that below the bars woul be even worse than stock and I might be lookin' at my hairy pits.

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .