Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 16's on my RG and love them....sooo comfortable for me as Im 6'5". I was pulled over twice in 4 hours yesterday here in Reno, NV and warned that they are too high, then sited for non-dot helmet ($100). Guess they are cracking down???? Must be a shortage of meth labs to crack down on in the area?? Total BS, I have had them on for a year now and never had a problem. Guess we are being profiled....Apes = 1%er?? LMAO

Old 05-24-2010, 02:32 AM
nsodpty52
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
they are illegal for many reasons beside looking stupid. hands should not be above the heart for extended periods. watch riders shaking circulation back into their hands at stop lights. you must be able to keep your hands on the controls at all times in any manuever and many cannot in a tight parking lot turn.
I shook my hands out way more when i rode a crotch rocket. Those bars were below my heart? just sayin

I also don't ride around in parking lots all day I prefer the open road.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
That's an old wives tale about "hands should not be above the heart for extended periods." Heck, I keep my head above my heart for extended periods quite a bit and I think blood to my brain is more critical than blood to my hands.

scg1953. I would like to see a pic of your RKC with the 14"ers. I'm thinking about those for my RK.

That was funny.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
they are illegal for many reasons beside looking stupid. hands should not be above the heart for extended periods. watch riders shaking circulation back into their hands at stop lights. you must be able to keep your hands on the controls at all times in any manuever and many cannot in a tight parking lot turn.
your so full of s&*#

Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 AM
DynaStorm
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nsodpty52
I shook my hands out way more when i rode a crotch rocket. Those bars were below my heart? just sayin

I also don't ride around in parking lots all day I prefer the open road.
amen to that....the most comfortable rides I've owned, had drag bars or yaffe monkeys...both had my arms/hands at about shoulder height, which for me, is comfortable, and good control, plus way cool --- I installed both sets of bars on my bikes, and never got the 'numb tinglys' following the bar install--- If johnny law dont like my bars....or anyone else for that matter....too f%*&$*#& bad, I ride my bike, nobody else.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
thecolor
Advanced

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
That's an old wives tale about "hands should not be above the heart for extended periods." Heck, I keep my head above my heart for extended periods quite a bit and I think blood to my brain is more critical than blood to my hands. ...
where is the +1 / vote up button?!

I have to remember the "steering wheel" example though...

My hands get nummer typing on my keyboard while excessively low (standing) then level or higher.

Last edited by thecolor; 03-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding with apes for years and love them, even riding illegally, I didn't care if I got pulled over. Many riders would give me all kinds of reasons not to use them, but as soon as I and the help of a NM senator had the entire handle bar law removed from the books, then all of a sudden I would see many of these people runnin' apes, what hypocrites! None of the reasons they gave me in the past ever mentioned anything about being illegal though...

Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 AM
FlyByWire
Cruiser
The following users liked this post:
cadreamn (03-04-2021)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Smokengun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16's on mine and I'm a short turd bout 5'8 ish. I had drag bars on my previous bike and hands still went numb. Doesn't matter what bars you have. I really had to get used to the apes but I LOVE em now. Been on a few out of staters and so far so good. My buddies think I'm a little nutty for goin that long with em. But they only kid with me. And that's not even too much. Far as tight turns and parking lots, I'm no expert but I can get around tight areas no problem. Just had to learn how with these things. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a Softail Deluxe with 18 inch apes on it. They are more comfortable than you think. I don't know why i haven't put them on my previous bike before. I'm going on the Talimena Ride in April,from Oklahoma City, Its a four hour drive and don't think it should be a problem.

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers? Just wonderin . . .