Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an 09' Electra tomorrow...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buying an 09' Electra tomorrow...advice?

Pretty sure I'm headed to the dealer to buy my 09 Electra tomorrow. I've been doing research,talking to a lot of dealers, and planning on taking almost a 3 hour ride tomorrow to the dealer with the best selection and price. Does anyone have advice on how much off MSRP can be expected? Are freight charges for real? How about set-up charges? Does Harley pay them for set up? If not then what should I expect as an acceptable set-up charge? What % off accessories should I expect? Truth to better deals on last day of month?

Looking at an Electra Classic but might allow myself to be talked into an Ultra if the price is right. Dealer says they are the biggest US dealer and WILL NOT be beat. They will not make deals on the phone though so I am trying to prep myself for "the dance".

Thanks for any help/advice...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember, there are three parts to the deal; the price of the bike, the amount they give you in trade, and the rate of the note. I've had dealers tell me they'll beat any deal, and give me what appears to be a fair trade, but then try to finance at an obscene rate and say they can't do the deal without the VIP service package, ect.

Here's what I did. I went to three dealers and told them I wanted a new Ultra, and that they had one chance to make their best offer. Bottom line on the table, right now. If they won, I'd be back. The difference between the highest and the lowest was almost 2.5K!
Just be honest and upfront with them, and let them know they have just one chance to earn your business.
Only one dealer moved from MSRP, and they all wanted to charge freight.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you could say, there is the price of the bike. And pay cash

Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have them throw in the 1,000 mile service for free.
Tom

Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Great advice. Thank you.
I did leave some things out that simplify the deal. I told them all I would not have a trade in, as I already have a buyer. Second, I told them there would be no financing, as I am using my home equity loan.

Interesting that 2 of 3 did not come off list. Especially since you were upfront with them. I've talked to 4 dealers that would not come off MSRP. I'm gonna call 4 more today that I expect will stay at MSRP also.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are probably not going to find many that are going to budge off MSRP. HD is reducing the production numbers this year which means dealers are going to have less uits to sale so why reduce the price. As for freight and set up, most dealers do charge that. If you look at HD's website it will show you the cost you are paying for freight (usually around $350) and most dealers will charge the same thing for their set up fee. In some cases that fee may be waved and some dealers will give you a % off parts or maybe throw in a 1K service. Just don't expect to be the next contestant on The Price is Right, this is not going to be the year that dealers have to budge on price and you want see any left overs at the end of the model year like you have in the past couple.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
BigD64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 % off parts is standard for a year but you can do better ordering from Zanotti's even with shipping on most items. The 09's have only been out a month so the discounts won't be anywhere near the discounts on 08's, but you should still be able to get a bit off MSRP this time of the year. Good luck and get used to the whine in 5th gear for the 1st thousand miles. It does subside over time.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth I just paid msrp, $375.00 freight and $200.00 prep. That was my first "bid" and they took it so I probably could have done a little better but not a whole lot. All the dealers in the immediate Houston area have been tooting the msrp horn but then won't budge off of an inflated prep fee. I've been saving up for the past year now so I paid cash, sure makes the shopping process simpler. Good luck and enjoy it!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I doubt you will get much of a discount if anything, off of msrp on an '09. Now if it doesn't have to be an '09, they may have some '08's on the floor. You could expect to get at least 3k off msrp on an '08.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Deal

Here is my deal in So. Cal...
But as far as off MSRP, most dealers go over MSRP.
I was lucky to find the one who only charges MSRP.
But, did reduce the prep and is installing the accessories I bought through him for free.

2009 H-D Ultra Flame Blue Pearl
MSRP $21,529.00
ABS $ 795.00
Security $ 345.00
Emissions $ 200.00
Freight $ 375.00
Prep $ 400.00 (Reg. $800.00)
Plus DMV, Doc Fees, and Local Sales Tax
$25,700.00 Out the Door
7 Year Warranty$ 1,860.00 Includes Tire and Wheel Protection
Lojack if Wanted $ 1250.00
All together, $28,810.00!!!!

Quick Reply: Buying an 09' Electra tomorrow...advice?