Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Guy dents/scratches my tank! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let them tell you where to have it fixed, that's up to you. They will try and steer you to one of their hack shops..and if it is Progressive they will cut it to the bare minimum to repair it.
If they start talking about repair bring up the phrase "Diminished Value" and tell them you want it fixed to pre-accident condition.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..reality-check from an adjuster...you can "demand" things all you want, but that doesn't mean you always get them! Using your logic, if someone puts a parking-lot ding in a car-door, then the owner should just "demand" a whole new door cause they don't want bondo in it. Hate to tell you but that isn't how ins. works, trust me, I write for the biggest ins. co in Mass. TR is right, have your ins co. work for you AFTER you see what the other side wants to do for you. it might not be needed. By the way though, when I write HD's I always write to replace dented sheetmetal anyway, not because I "have-to", but cause I know half the bikes owners that I do appraisals on....good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Rags722
Novice

Ah lets think about this.... jug is damaged and some one else is at fault, and you want the money so you can not fix it and look at your bike and be pissed every day???
Time to really think about this. Insurance is going to PAY HD to pull your jug. Now is the time to be talking to your parts guy about a little "upgrade". Have them apply the money for a stock jug for a bigger jug, you pop for the extra jug, pistons and rings, and convince the dealer to do the motor work on both jugs out of the money they got from the insurance co. ( think about how much extra stuff they have to do to replace one as opposed to just doing both while they are in there).

Just a different way of looking at things.
Rags

Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

need to replace the jug. no sense going to all this hassle to get new parts and paint then every time someone asks you about the fins you have to tell the painful story again! fix everything at the same time. most states allow you to use any shop YOU chose to get the repairs done. i would quote 2 to 3 hd shops for parts and labor

Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 AM
dhincc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.. I dont think i want to go through the hassle of replacing the Jug.. but i would like to be compensated for it due to.. i will have to look at it everyday and be reminded that i didnt do that to my baby!
Forget that. It's not like you're going to be doing the work, and even if you are, it will be worth it in the long run to get EVERYTHING replaced or repaired.

As has been said before, notify YOUR insurance, and let THEM hash it out with the other guys. They work for, and should represent, YOU! Good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
Do NOT tell them you'll contact an attorney - once you do, MOST insurance companies will cease to speak with you!! If they give you grief, contact YOUR insurance and talk w/your agent about filing under YOUR policy and let THEM duke it out w/the other company. It will NOT affect your rates. You'll have a deductible, but your insurance will usually recover that for you as part of their recovery - it's worked for me!
Originally Posted by kansasroadking
TR is 100% correct, I make my living in the collision repair field and deal with these guys every day.... don't give that bastard an inch.... demand that every single part that is even in the slightest way messed up be replaced.
go over it VERY thoroughly....
This is best advice given.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new Bike should get new parts. I think is going to be a fight but the worth it.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who spent a lot of time in the insurance field, working for Progressive, in California - I would say on a four month-old bike you have an argument for the fuel tank. I would not necessarily say the same about a fender or other painted part. Dents in a fuel tank can be a safety issue. Also, in CA, if they are not dealing with you to your satisfaction, there is an 800 number to call the Department of Insurance in CA, and it is taken seriously by both the Dept. and the carriers.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Let's also remember that the insurance company ain't been heard from. Last time someone tagged mah bike, they replaced ALL components with factory-new, color-matched parts without me sayin' a word.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
NATESBPD
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update!!

WEll,, Talked to the insurance guy and instead of just buying a tank, seat and compensating me for the jug and being done with it, he wants me to go through my insurance. (His Insurance already claimed full liability)

Well, My insurance said that if thats what he wants then take my bike to HD and get a quote for ALL the things broken fixed. ... Tank, seat and Jug... Parts Labor ect.... My insurance said that the bike is only 4 months old and needs to be fixed back the way it was! Right on...

Tomorrow i will go get quotes from two local HD dealers.

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.. they helped!

Quick Reply: Help!! Guy dents/scratches my tank! What to do?