Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a deal on chrome switch housings

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 03:32 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mslater741
want to change out my handlebars on 08 road glide....thinking about switch housings and levers also....is there any good bang for the buck deals...i dont want to have problems down the line , and dont want them to look cheap
I found Hill Country Custom Cycles thru the HDForums and have done some business with them. They were introduced to me as the cable guys if you needed + cables but you were not sure how much +. THey know thier $hit. THey sell fully configured bars- wired with switches and cabled....or just the bars and controls...or just the cables...what ever brand you want...or just what ever you need. THey will customize your order...they rock!

A couple of months ago I noticed they started selling triple chromed genuine Harley take-offs- namely hand controls with or without the clutch perch and/ or cylinder. I bought a full set from them- waiting for some temperatures over 30 degrees so I can install them. THe prices are reasonable, they have a phone number and they are great guys to work with:

Hill Country Custom Cycles
eBay ID: hcccycles
http://stores.ebay.com/Hill-Country-Custom-Cycles

Old 12-07-2008 | 06:32 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbore
Could you post a pic or two of your black controls with chrome switches?
Here's a couple of pics of my '08 Street Glide.

I also changed the grips and levers.

Old 12-07-2008 | 07:44 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with all that chrome you are gonna blind yourself when out in the sunlight...

but to each his own... don't blame me for warning you

Old 12-08-2008 | 04:40 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

I've done both switch housings & buttons on a couple of bikes. I've used the Kury's & the HD's, and have done the installs on bikes with & without the extra radio switches.

Here's what I've found:

1) The switch housing I purchased from HD didn't have a hole drilled for what my manual referred to as a "clutch isolation switch" or something like that, so I had to drill it when putting the guts back in. Furthermore, the bottom holes for mounting the switch internals were not tapped. That was a real load of fun. I had no problems whatsoever with the Kury's.

2) The brackets for the chrome master cylinder & clutch lever are a different story: Pros for Kury: they come with chrome bolts, while the HD ones do not, and are a separate purchase (bastards). Cons for Kury - the brackets for the clutch & master are not grooved enough, and may/will pinch your wiring harness, while the HD ones will not.

3) Installing the chrome switches is easy if you are patient. You can use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the old switches - DO NOT USE IT TO INSTALL THE CHROME ONES. They don't flex, and will shatter immediately. Follow the instructions, and it's fairly easy to get the knack.

4) It is a trying ordeal to install the chrome switches in the chrome housings on bikes with radio & cruise. You kind of have to piece everything together, and put it all in at once. If you try installing the radio internals, bolting them down, and then installing the top switches, it won't work. The chrome signal light switch gets stuck. I would suggest definately a magnetic screwdriver to install the internals. It really helps. Also, once you install the radio internals, I used needle nose pliers to gently manouvre the internals into their correct positions.

Finally, I also see now that Kury offers chrome switch housings that fit over your existing housings, provided you buy their chrome clutch & master cylinder covers.

I have no info or experience to offer on this new product. However, I have installed the clutch & master covers on my Deuce. They look really nice and burly, the chrome is good, and the install went well. However, you have to take your mirror off to remove your cover if you want to bleed your brakes. PITA. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Just my 2 cents.

Cannon

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:06 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out chicago harley.I know they have a 25% off on harley parts

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:11 PM
BaggerNut
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used both H-D and Kuryakyn and have found both to be a good quality. I wouldn't go with some of the other ones I have seen though. they seem to either have plating issues or dont come with hardware.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:49 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kbore
I found Hill Country Custom Cycles thru the HDForums and have done some business with them. They were introduced to me as the cable guys if you needed + cables but you were not sure how much +. THey know thier $hit. THey sell fully configured bars- wired with switches and cabled....or just the bars and controls...or just the cables...what ever brand you want...or just what ever you need. THey will customize your order...they rock!

A couple of months ago I noticed they started selling triple chromed genuine Harley take-offs- namely hand controls with or without the clutch perch and/ or cylinder. I bought a full set from them- waiting for some temperatures over 30 degrees so I can install them. THe prices are reasonable, they have a phone number and they are great guys to work with:

Hill Country Custom Cycles
eBay ID: hcccycles
http://stores.ebay.com/Hill-Country-Custom-Cycles
+1 they answer the phone, but you may have to try a few times. I bought a complete chrome control set and broke the clutch perch trying to put it on. I ordered a new one from them and they paid the shipping. Good people to work with. They even returned my calls when I left a message.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:53 PM
mslater741
|
Road Master

i ended up with the Kury chrome switch housing, chrome levers, and iso grips on wild 1 chubbie w0515 mini -apes. i left the switches black, looks good with the black/chrome combo of all the parts. seems Kury hasent came out with a chrome perch for the levers or a brake resivoir cover for the 08s yet, if they do ill change those too

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:17 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD and chrome housings?

"HD told me that they did not have chrome housings out for 08 and 09 fly by wire systems. I had them on my list to add prior to pickup and had to postpone until later" (from earlier quote)

This seems wierd to me.........I put HD chrome housings on my 08 RKC keeping the black switches for contrast.

Attached Thumbnails need a deal on chrome switch housings-dscn0761.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008 | 07:58 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

i did the same on my 09 RK with cruise

Quick Reply: need a deal on chrome switch housings