Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway

I was looking at trading my 2007 RK Custom for a 2009 SG and this is what transpired between me and the sales man I bought my RKC originaly from.

The names have been removed to protect the guilty. The dealer is Patriot HD in Fairfax VA.

Me:

Bobby my name is $%&&#, you sold me a new 2007 RK Custom about two years ago. I’m interested in trading my 07 FLHRS and getting a 2009 black Street Glide with ABS. Can you give me an idea of what numbers we’re looking at for trade? My black 2007 FLHRS is in excellent condition with 8300 miles. Thanks.

Sales man:

A new FLHX would run about $22,000.

Your bike new was selling for $18140.

Used it will sell for around $15495.

We could sell it on consignment for you and you would get around $13170.

We would normally trade it in for around $12396

NADA says your trade should be around $12500-$13500.

I found one on the internet as low as $12595 asking price.

If we could give you more than $13k and take “something” off the price of the new 2009, would you buy it?

Call me.

Me:

I’m looking for a Vivid Black 2009 Street Glide with ABS, cruise, heated grips. Is there any aftermarket pipes out yet or HD Race tuner for the 09? If you can do $14K for mine and some off the 2009, we have a deal. Do you have a ABS 2009 Vivid Black Street Glide in stock?

Sales man:

The parts department would be able to answer your question about the pipes.

My sales manager told me I can go $12,500 for the trade-in and $250 off the msrp on the FLHX 2009.

Of course, I understand you want more for the trade, and more off the price of the new bike.

Perhaps it’s this time of year, my manager is considering, and he is looking for a margin of around 20% for trade-ins…sorry I can’t meet your offer at this time.

If you want to move forward, we would need to see the trade and maybe the prices and values would change slightly.

Patriot Harley-Davidson

My answer:

Thanks for taking the time to look things up. Thanks.

WOW! I walked out of the dealer with a 22K bike after accessories, yes I know they don't count, but loosing 10K in less than two years is mind boggling! Looks like I'll be keeping my RKC for a lot longer. The sales persons number were accurate based on my web research.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:19 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

What don't you like about your RK? Tell me what YOU want out of a deal. You state you'd take $14k for yours so how much did you expect them to take off the '09 SG?

I'm just trying to get a feel of how bad you want an '09 is the reason for my questioning.

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY no way would I take a bath on my '07 for an '09. I'm smarter than that and I hope you are too.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand the "highway robbery" title.

A better title would have been "Welcome to the world of reality."

Old 09-28-2008, 04:32 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

So...

They offered you wholesale book for a trade in. You said you knew accessories don't count. Your right. But from your message, it would seem you were expecting them to?

Where you really expecting anything better than wholesale book value?

Your also dealing with a generational thing. The 09s have major changes. Any previous years, right or wrong, will not be as desirable in the used market. Just like 06 and older took a dump when the 96" & 6 speeds came out in 07. Right or wrong, it happens. When major changes like that happen, you better be ready to move fast, or loose your butt on your current bike as people start to hear more about the new models.

Had the same thing happen to me when I traded in my 05 for my 07. (the only time Ive done a trade-in vs selling the older bike myself) although It was a far cry from the 10k your looking at eating.

Do remember, trading it in can help you substantially on sales tax on the new bike, so factor that into your asking price (if you were to consider selling outright)

Last edited by flyingace; 09-28-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember too, you are dealing with a BUSINESS and this is a really "terrible" economy that does not work in your favor with trade ins. Not all dealers are the same and even though you did a deal there once before, don't feel obligated to any loyalty towards them because I can assure you they have none for you either.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no excuse to take a beating in going from an '07 to an '09 other than the fact the dealership KNOWS you absolutely feel you want an '09 for the sake of owning one. If you do it proves one thing, you ride the internet more than you ride your bike.......period. I don't care if you post 18 bazillion .pdf's on the changes that the '09's have I GUARANTEE I can ride my bike JUST as fast, smooth or whatever you want to use to gauge that the bikes are not a revolutionary change from each other and the only thing you'd feel the difference in would be your wallet which would weigh a ton less if you're stupid enough to take this bath. To believe anything else is delusional and ludicrous.

Buy an '09 because you want one. If you have a late model bike and can take a beating and move on, go for it.

EDIT: Let me make one thing clear, I DO NOT have an issue with the 2009 model bikes. I'm ecstatic that the MOCO represents change and they bring it to the consumer on a continual basis. My view is merely on taking a beating on a late model bike for an '09. If you can afford it, go for it but don't complain nor expect anything less than a beating when dealing with most dealerships relating to trading. I am in no way directing my reply towards anybody in particular as these are my own feelings so take or leave them.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 09-28-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like life to me. It sucks I know, but it cost a lot to trade often.
No bike these days will keep much resale value, they make to many of them nowadays.

Is riding season about over in Fairfax, VA?
They don't want to put a lot of money in a fairly new used bike and have to keep it all winter.

I've never sold a bike on consignment, but that sounds like an extremely high commission to me.

A new Street Glide shouldn't cost that much ($22,000) unless they have already added a bunch of goodies to it.

Look around and drive in.
A drive in should be a better deal than just a hypatheical trade price.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
I don't understand the "highway robbery" title.

A better title would have been "Welcome to the world of reality."
+1......

Old 09-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If owning an 09 will make you happy and not hurt you financially go ahead and make the best deal you can and buy one.
If the lost dollars are going to hurt you or keep you awake at night with buyers remorse keep the bike you have and enjoy it.
Years ago I had to have the latest and the newest.
I still have to urge but I don't give into it. I lost too much of my hard earned money getting rid of prefectly good bikes just beacause they didn't have the latest doo dad.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did ride today at a demo day a '09 EGC. An I was disappointed how much HD character a new stock bike is missing. I would only trade my 2002 RKC for the ABS option and for nothing more. And so I will stay for much longer with my current bike.

I would suggest keep your bike and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway