Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
I don't understand the "highway robbery" title.

A better title would have been "Welcome to the world of reality."
I would have to agree.....

Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys. I was looking for ABS and a seat height I can deal with (5'8"). Yes I love my RK Custom and I'm keeping it.

By the way, East Coast offered me 14K for my bike and 22K (MSRP) for the SG. That is is an 8K hit in two years. I'll wait.

Thanks for the reality check!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want top dollar for a clean used bike you should sell it yourself on the private market. The dealer has to turn around and make money off of your trade so of course he is going to lowball you. Try eBay or Craigslist. You will undoubtedly do better.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through the whole dealer song and dance when I tried to get some basic trade-in numbers on a year and a half old FatBoy. IMO selling privately is the only way to go. More to the point, selling newer Harleys on eBay might be the best way to go.

I had my bike on the eBay for ten days, with a reserve, with conditions that the buyer pays shipping or picks the bike up, and with conditions the money was wire transferred to me before delivery. I got a way a better price than trade-in and frankly more than I expected in the first place. Actually the buyer got a better deal than he would have with a dealer too, so everybody won.

Nice thing about eBay is you don't have to deal with too many tire kickers making promises they won't keep. The bike will either sell or it won't. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by casique
I was looking at trading my 2007 RK Custom for a 2009 SG and this is what transpired between me and the sales man I bought my RKC originaly from.

The names have been removed to protect the guilty. The dealer is Patriot HD in Fairfax VA.

Me:

Bobby my name is $%&&#, you sold me a new 2007 RK Custom about two years ago. I’m interested in trading my 07 FLHRS and getting a 2009 black Street Glide with ABS. Can you give me an idea of what numbers we’re looking at for trade? My black 2007 FLHRS is in excellent condition with 8300 miles. Thanks.

Sales man:

A new FLHX would run about $22,000.

Your bike new was selling for $18140.

Used it will sell for around $15495.

We could sell it on consignment for you and you would get around $13170.

We would normally trade it in for around $12396

NADA says your trade should be around $12500-$13500.

I found one on the internet as low as $12595 asking price.

If we could give you more than $13k and take “something” off the price of the new 2009, would you buy it?

Call me.

Me:

I’m looking for a Vivid Black 2009 Street Glide with ABS, cruise, heated grips. Is there any aftermarket pipes out yet or HD Race tuner for the 09? If you can do $14K for mine and some off the 2009, we have a deal. Do you have a ABS 2009 Vivid Black Street Glide in stock?

Sales man:

The parts department would be able to answer your question about the pipes.

My sales manager told me I can go $12,500 for the trade-in and $250 off the msrp on the FLHX 2009.

Of course, I understand you want more for the trade, and more off the price of the new bike.

Perhaps it’s this time of year, my manager is considering, and he is looking for a margin of around 20% for trade-ins…sorry I can’t meet your offer at this time.

If you want to move forward, we would need to see the trade and maybe the prices and values would change slightly.

Patriot Harley-Davidson

My answer:

Thanks for taking the time to look things up. Thanks.

WOW! I walked out of the dealer with a 22K bike after accessories, yes I know they don't count, but loosing 10K in less than two years is mind boggling! Looks like I'll be keeping my RKC for a lot longer. The sales persons number were accurate based on my web research.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep the 07 until it has 100000 miles on it, then trade. You will get a lot better deal in terms of dollars per mile. Both bikes have the same motor, which is 90% of what a harley is.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Used to live in No. VA. Patriot sold my bike on consignment and I bought my Road King from Ft. Washington across the bridge in MD. Shop around. Washington HD had some good deals a few years ago. I'd at least check with them, Dumpfrees, and Orange, and Whitt's in Mananasas, and also that little dealership in Winchester,VA, in Fredrick, MD, and Gathersburg, MD. Geez, there's about 8-9 dealers within 100 miles. Go where you get the best deal. Let each one know you're serious about buying, and give them one change to make their best offer.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and in my haste to respond, I forgot to say....your original post, and the rationale you outlined is the very reason I'm still riding my 2000 Road King Ultra Glide... Perhaps 2010. (Probably not, though)

Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Used to live in No. VA. Patriot sold my bike on consignment and I bought my Road King from Ft. Washington across the bridge in MD. Shop around. Washington HD had some good deals a few years ago. I'd at least check with them, Dumpfrees, and Orange, and Whitt's in Mananasas, and also that little dealership in Winchester,VA, in Fredrick, MD, and Gathersburg, MD. Geez, there's about 8-9 dealers within 100 miles. Go where you get the best deal. Let each one know you're serious about buying, and give them one change to make their best offer.

Hey bigskyhd check out that "little dealership in Winchester" now. It's now owned by a woman - Barbara Grove. It's pretty impressive.

http://www.hdwinchester.com/

Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a pretty fair deal on the SG. Ive been quote $22700 OTD for an 09 in color with cruise, ABS, Security, doc fee and no prep charge including 6% sales tax.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
If you want top dollar for a clean used bike you should sell it yourself on the private market. The dealer has to turn around and make money off of your trade so of course he is going to lowball you. Try eBay or Craigslist. You will undoubtedly do better.
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't hurt to at least list the bike and see what happens. If doesn't sell for a good price, you're just where you're at now. If it does, then you can shop for a good deal on an '09.

Quick Reply: Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway