Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

A year ago I bought my 05 RKC for 15K from a private seller. I simply love the bike and feel that I got a good deal. It had 8100 miles on it.
Why not list the bike on-line or something, you and the buyer will both get better deals.
I realize that there is some good changes on the 09 touring models but remember, first year new technologies always seem to have bugs that they fix in subsequent year models.
Also, I can't understand why anyone would not be happy with the RKC. Cruise control, great seating position. You plan on taking a beating financially to get a batwing and a radio? Keep the King man!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer will sell a consignment bike for a flat $1000, at least they did last year. When they resell a trade in bike, they mark it up $1000-$1500. That sounds fair when you consider that they have to invest time and money getting the trade bike ready to sell.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a new 07 RKC because of the 96 and the 6 speed. I like the fact that it has the old style gas tank and center counsel (gone with the 08's). It has the classic Road King look. I feel like I lucked out buying a new HD before they changed too much. I think I will save a lot of money in the long run by riding it and adding stage kits as time goes on, keeping the motor new and updated. As fare as the rest of the bike, it should last for ever. If kept in great shape...I could get my money back if I keep it long enough.

Personaly I would buy a 2nd bike before doing a trade in deal. My last bikes were a Triumph 70, BMW 67, 73, 85. I sold them all and bought my HD. If I had 10K I would start looking again for #2 and make room in the garge. With more than one bike...they all last longer.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really get it. The 09s are nice but I like the fit and feel of my 03 better; so does the wife. ABS, louder stereo, 6 gallon tank and 6 speed would be nice but my bike came to me with low miles and has plenty of years left in it. It also vibrates less. Go figure.

BTW, I have ridden the 09. My wife thought her foot would vibrate off the floor board and the throttle by wire is something I would have to get used to. Add the higher seat height and the $$ it would cost to get it the way I want it, I think I dun OK. New shiney things are very desirable but not always the best decision.

Good luck on your quest.

spiz

Old 10-03-2008, 12:52 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"WOW! I walked out of the dealer with a 22K bike after accessories, yes I know they don't count, but loosing 10K in less than two years is mind boggling! Looks like I'll be keeping my RKC for a lot longer."

If you think that is bad, be glad you didn't buy a boat, RV or snowmobile over the same time period. They depreciate even faster. Keep the bike or sell it, if you can afford to take the hit, then do it. Money is tight all over and the used market in a lot of places is for crap.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Remember too, you are dealing with a BUSINESS and this is a really "terrible" economy that does not work in your favor with trade ins. Not all dealers are the same and even though you did a deal there once before, don't feel obligated to any loyalty towards them because I can assure you they have none for you either.
+1 on dealer loyalty

Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

Originally Posted by RjCapp
Of course it's highway robbery. After the dealer gets done you will be able to do deep knee bends over a fire hydrant!
Now that's funny!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Your bike is barely broken in.. I would get a Kevin Evans or Dragonfly concepts detachable fairing for it, some air shocks with compressor and if you are really feeling the need for a wide tire go to Hog Pro and get their wide tire kit. Then your bike will be uniquely yours and you will still be ahead by $4000...

My streetglide is the same age as your ride and it has 12,000 miles on it, I honestly don't think I ride it enought to be worth the loss on trade for an '09.. I will wait until 2012 models are out

Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
hdmunro
Advanced
Default thats not robbery, this is robbery

up here in canada, we took a beating in the used market....factor in the
35% difference in money, so a 2006 (or older) ultra or king would cost us about $30k+,
now with our money worth more, you can buy a streetglide for like $20k, so who will buy a used bike worth $10k more than a new bike? i traded a 2000 fatboy worth a small fortune
for the 2007 streetglide.....i love the glide, but i liked my money too....

Bill

Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Sales man:

A new FLHX would run about $22,000.

Your bike new was selling for $18140.

Used it will sell for around $15495.

We could sell it on consignment for you and you would get around $13170.

We would normally trade it in for around $12396

NADA says your trade should be around $12500-$13500.

I found one on the internet as low as $12595 asking price.

If we could give you more than $13k and take “something” off the price of the new 2009, would you buy it?

Call me.

Sounds like this guy is a straight shooter... If you want the bike, and want to trade yours in that looks like a fair deal. Granted you added stuff to your bike, I'd suggest pulling the extras off, and then trading and putting the old stuff on the new bike, HDforums, or Ebay.

Quick Reply: Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway