Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Ron H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between what you paid for it (retail) and what they will give you on a trade (wholesale) is always a stunner. It's the same with automobiles. I don't think their offer was out of line.

Fortunately, there are a bunch of other dealers in the Northern Virginia area. Someone else might be a little hungier to make a deal. The best time to buy is January or early February. Sales are usually pretty lean then and the dealers have to work a little harder to move bikes.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 AM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WoW, I had no idea some dealers were asking $22k for an 09 Glide. Yikes.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

$23k here will get an 09 Ultra , dammm

Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 AM
jdredfire
Advanced

Casique,
First off, let me say that I have dealt with Patriot quite a bit over the last few years and have made some good friends with several of the sales people and the sales manager. I'm going through a nasty divorce and I had to sell my '07 Ultra about a year ago, after having it for only about 5 months. I paid about $23k for it new, added $3k in parts, and ended up selling it to Patriot for about $17k. I was in a big hurry to sell it and did what I had to do. Since then, I purchased an '08 FLHTP (Police) new in May for a tad over $18k, zero mods, and have ridden it about 4700 miles. The divorce nightmare is still going on and I recently considered selling my beloved police bike. I also have a Super Glide, so I would still have one bike to ride. Bobby sent me an e-mail telling me if I were to sell it myself, I might get $16,500. Selling it on consignment might get me $14,500 after the dealer takes their cut. Selling it to the dealer outright would get me $13,500. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I checked with the girlfriend to see what she thought. Fortunately, she loves bikes and told me NOT TO SELL IT!, as well as my Super Glide. She knew I would regret it down the road.

I have to keep reminding myself that the dealership is in business to sell bikes and make money on all bikes they sell. And, that this is not the market that H-D had 10 years ago with the year-long wait list. There is a lot more competition now, just about everyone and their great-grandmother has a Harley now, and today's economy is kind of scary. With all of that, our bikes just don't hold their value like they used to.

JD

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped in at my dealer last month and asked them how much they would give me for mint 6000 mile 06 glide classic.. First offer was 11k? 2nd was 12,5k.. Ill keep mine
Dave

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Default Resale..

Originally Posted by casique
I was looking at trading my 2007 RK Custom for a 2009 SG and this is what transpired between me and the sales man I bought my RKC originaly from.

The names have been removed to protect the guilty. The dealer is Patriot HD in Fairfax VA.

Me:

Bobby my name is $%&&#, you sold me a new 2007 RK Custom about two years ago. I’m interested in trading my 07 FLHRS and getting a 2009 black Street Glide with ABS. Can you give me an idea of what numbers we’re looking at for trade? My black 2007 FLHRS is in excellent condition with 8300 miles. Thanks.

Sales man:

A new FLHX would run about $22,000.

Your bike new was selling for $18140.

Used it will sell for around $15495.

We could sell it on consignment for you and you would get around $13170.

We would normally trade it in for around $12396

NADA says your trade should be around $12500-$13500.

I found one on the internet as low as $12595 asking price.

If we could give you more than $13k and take “something” off the price of the new 2009, would you buy it?

Call me.

Me:

I’m looking for a Vivid Black 2009 Street Glide with ABS, cruise, heated grips. Is there any aftermarket pipes out yet or HD Race tuner for the 09? If you can do $14K for mine and some off the 2009, we have a deal. Do you have a ABS 2009 Vivid Black Street Glide in stock?

Sales man:

The parts department would be able to answer your question about the pipes.

My sales manager told me I can go $12,500 for the trade-in and $250 off the msrp on the FLHX 2009.

Of course, I understand you want more for the trade, and more off the price of the new bike.

Perhaps it’s this time of year, my manager is considering, and he is looking for a margin of around 20% for trade-ins…sorry I can’t meet your offer at this time.

If you want to move forward, we would need to see the trade and maybe the prices and values would change slightly.

Patriot Harley-Davidson

My answer:

Thanks for taking the time to look things up. Thanks.

WOW! I walked out of the dealer with a 22K bike after accessories, yes I know they don't count, but loosing 10K in less than two years is mind boggling! Looks like I'll be keeping my RKC for a lot longer. The sales persons number were accurate based on my web research.
I was offered the same for my 07 SG, trade for a new Wing... (just checking the waters)
I have 5000 in upgrades on the SG..

And I bought a Harley because of it holding it's value...
What a load of BS...

Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

If you just gotta have it then sell yours and pay off the diff. Then get the best price you can on the 09.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Wink

The problem is this:

HD redisigned the touring bikes and made all sorts of improvements for 2009. That puts 2009 models in demand.

Unfortunatley, it lessens the demand for any left over 2008 models for the same above reason. People want the new bike with all the built in improvements. Dealers will really need to deal lower to move the 08s.

Now, what do you think that same scenario does to your used Harleys?? RIGHT, it lowers the price for them too.

Also, don't forget the E-C-O-N-O-M-Y factoring in to lower prices too. Dealers don't want your bike as inventory unless they get it for a song.

So, 09 model improvements plus the economy = lower prices for Joe Harley's used motorcycle.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
kong00us
Cruiser

no way...thats whats kewl about hd...you can have one for years and you have to look up close to see what year it is

Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
confused
Road Captain

A co-worker just traded his 2006 Ultra w/ 19500 miles and lots of extras. They gave him $13K and it is on their sales floor for $16K

He purchased a 09SG with;
Painted inside fairing
Cruise
Reinharts slip ons
Stage 1
SE Tuner

He paid $23K

He purchased the 06 Ultra from this same dealer
I think they got him coming and going, but he got the bike he wanted.

He's happy and I guess that is what counts.

Quick Reply: Highway Robbery or Attempt Anyway