Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo and Speaker recommendation HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo and Speaker recommendation HELP...

2008 Road King, never had music before, tried ipod with earphones, not comfortable with it.

Getting a stereo box which will hold deck and 2 speakers. I'm assuming I need marine and or water proof speakers, not sure about the deck. I could go marine cover for the deck, but open to all suggestions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, not looking for ultimate sound, but would like it to last.

Good and bad experiences with equipment also appreciated, just seeking direction.

Thanks....

Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

email firecap501 on this site. he has the badest stereo setups in the world! arc audio amp and speakers with kenwood or blaupunkt head units. hes the best in the buisness. tell him blue sent you

Old 09-28-2008, 01:59 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Remarkably similar recent thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/280836-marine-grade-speakers-and-head-unit-road-king.html

For your convenience, my (slightly modified) response from that thread:

You can mount something to the windshield, or do a detachable fairing, but there's also ways to get small amps to run ipods, and small portable satellite radios, in which case you may not need a whole head unit w/ cd and all that, imo.

Here are some links to get started, that I've been researching myself:

Links page for tunes on a RK: http://www.mmi.org/merrington/radio.html

That link includes links to *some* of the fairing companies, and some of which you can get empty and talk to the firecap guy in the above post, still learning about his products, I don't know yet if he has a hook up for fairings or if you have to get your own fairing. It also includes links to some of the bolt on sound options, w/out the need for fairings or windshields.

UniqCycle - One of the more affordable bolt on speaker/amp systems for ipods/satellite:
http://www.uniqcycle.com/category_s/1.htm

Cycle Sounds - Smaller bullet speakers:
http://www.cyclesounds.com/index.php

Loud Lids - speakers in bags, etc.:
http://www.loudlids.com/products.html

Another well known product from J&M:
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=16

Hope that helps. The first link also has links to windshield systems w/ some sort of head unit packaged like the original question, but I just haven't looked at them. For me, I'd either rather have it available all the time when there's no shield, or have a more robust option w/ a fairing, but that's just me...

Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain

Thanks Karz,

The other familiar thread was mine too, I just could't find it.
When they re-did this Forum, it was summer and was out riding instead of getting used to the new format.

Again, thanks for the links, it's a good start.

I have heard many peoples speakers, and the small ones just din't have the "umph" I am seeking for music, while I want the radio for traffic, as my bike is my work vehicle too, and I will use satellite radio for that.

My main concern is being water proof or resistant, as I want it to last.

My experience with stereos has always been home or cage, (and not hi tech, just throwing in a deck and preakers in a cage) but since I modified my bike with GPS, laptop (in saddlebag), file boxes etc... for doing sales calls, I want to complete the job to make it a total sales vehicle.

That's where my thoughts of direction were going, and I thought people replacing stock Harley fairing equipment might have suggestions of decks and speakers they like and or dislike, waterproof vs. car decks etc...?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No problem. One thing I do is go to the user cp link in the upper left, and then click 'list subscriptions' because I think even if you don't add email notification, any thread you post in by default should be listed there, if you want to find a thread again, I've found this easier than using search.

Yeah, I'm not as familiar with the decks in the different units, like others pointed out, I've seen a lot of recent interest in that firecap guy's offering. I think if you read this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/280628-lodest-sound-system-youve-heard-on-bike.html you'll see a link to his audio gear and a youtube video of one of his bikes.

As for the gear in some of the other fairing and radio products, I've seen Pioneer used a lot, but if you look at all those fairing company product links on that one page, you may figure out what they're using.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Street Star Designs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I offer my lid set-up for the road kings with my amps integrated in the saddlebag lid,with the speakers, so you dont loose any bag space, i have a harness that can be purchased that gives you a volume control after you plug your mp3,ipod, etc in to drive the amps! i know this is the cleanest set-up for the road kings to date. check out the website to contact me or pm me if you have any questions...this system rocks! Thanks Alan

Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Alan, can I become a dealer, I have had several guys ask me about your product, do you have dealers?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Street Star Designs
Cruiser

I am setting up dealers...do you have a shop? if so where are you located? Better yet just give me a call tomm and we can talk... 407-832-9895 Thanks Alan

Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Alan I will call you, yes I have a brick and motor shop, we are located in Russellville, AR

Old 09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Street Star Designs
I am setting up dealers...do you have a shop? if so where are you located? Better yet just give me a call tomm and we can talk... 407-832-9895 Thanks Alan
Send me a sample stereo, I'll ride around with it and advertise for you! LOL

I guess I need to start over by asking about speakers.
I need 6 1/2" speakers, do they need to be "marine" grade, or water resistant?
They will see weather, so I'd assume so, is that correct?

Can anybody recommend a speaker they have had, use, or used in the past?

Quick Reply: Stereo and Speaker recommendation HELP...