Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM
kennyross
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Wiring

I just got a Zumo 450 and would like to have it wired under the fairing on my 08 FLHTC.
Right now I have it to the lighter. I would like to have it powered on all the time.
Is there a hot lead or plug under the fairing?

Last edited by kennyross; 09-28-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Year
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this is not what you asked, but I just wired my 450 directly to the battery. I ran the wire thru the by the handle bar and then under the center console back to the battery it is a very clean set up.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I tied into the cigarette lighter power with a second socket inside the fairing. On and off with the ignition. Another hot wire is toward the end of your headlight wire harness. You'll see and unused plug there.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyross
I just got a Zumo 450 and would like to have it wired under the fairing on my 08 FLHTC.
Right now I have it to the lighter. I would like to have it powered on all the time.
Is there a hot lead or plug under the fairing?
You can wire it without removing the outer fairing, and I can't see a reason to wire it directly to the battery. For me, the preferable method is to wire it to a switched source (ignition), which gives the same effect as when plugging it into the lighter.

Remove the fairing switch cap (where the switches are located) by first pulling the switch **** and removing the two side screws. Wire it to the ACC switch as per this diagram:

Wiring diagram

If you want it wired to the switched side of the ACC switch, i.e. switched by the ignition and the ACC switch, use the orange wire instead-- although I can't imagine why you'd want to do it this way. I hard-wired my Zumo 450, which I just got last week, in the same way I had my Quest wired before it.

As for wiring directly to the battery, there is no reason that I know of not to do it this way since when powered off it shouldn't be any drain to the battery, although there's no info on this in the Zumo specs. Some electronic devices do pull some current while powered off, and this isn't something you want happening. What is a big downside to wiring direct like this is that the Zumo will not power down automatically like it does when the 12V source quits, as what happens with a switched source. Therefore you must power it off each time manually and if you forget it will drain the battery. OTOH I see no upside to this at all. When connected to an ignition-switched source and you want to use the GPS while the engine is off, just switch to "Access" (far right) position on the ignition switch.

If you want to connect it to a wire under the fairing, the lighter is as good as any and is close to where you'll likely mount the GPS.

Last edited by iclick; 09-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I wired mine into the unused HDI connector behind the headlight. I also wired a two pole flat into the line so I could take the cradle off if I wanted to. I ziptied the extra wiring to the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails GPS Wiring-image00001.jpg   GPS Wiring-image00002.jpg   GPS Wiring-image00003.jpg   GPS Wiring-image00004.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
norskehd
Cruiser

Wired mine to a cig. lighter adapter and now it is powered when the ignition switch is On or ACC.

I am still haveing problems with my power going through the mount of I have an issue with my Zumo (just installed it). Working with Garmin on the issue - - maybe you can help.

My messaage to Garmin:
I have my Zumo 450 powered via my FLHT cigarette lighter circuit. When I try to play MP3 songs - I get the error message - The zumo must be in a powered mount or be connected to a Bluetooth headset to hear audio. It appears that the zumo is not seeing the external power. I verified that there is DC power to the motor cycle Zumo mount. Any suggestions? I could check the pins on the mount for DC power - not sure which pins on the bottom of the mount would be checked for DC power.

Reply from Garmin:
To verify the unit is getting power is as easy as just placing the unit into the mount power off. This unit should power on immediately without you having to power on the unit yourself. Can you test this? Does anyone else you know have a Zumo also? Perhaps you could test this on their mount?

Reply to Garmin:
I placed my Zumo 450 in the motorcycle mount and it does not power on. I checked for power at the mount pins with the Zumo 450 removed and there is power at pin 3 on the front row of pins (third from the left when you face the mount).

Question to the "group":
Does your 450 or 550 power up when it is placed in the mount - with power applied?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

yes mine powers on automatically as soon as I put it in the cradle. Mine is wired directly to the battery.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Jmjohn

tie the Garmin 450 to the back of the cigarette lighter plug in the back of the fairing ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,,,

Old 09-28-2008, 06:21 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Mine comes on as soon as I put it in the mount. I used the wiring from the cigarette lighter, being it only gets used for the occasional cell phone charger in an emergency because I forgot to plug it in the night before.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by norskehd
Wired mine to a cig. lighter adapter and now it is powered when the ignition switch is On or ACC.

Did you hard wire it or are you using a cig. lighter adapter?
If you are using an adapter, does it have an inline fuse?
If so check the fuse in the adapter.

Quick Reply: GPS Wiring