Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008 | 01:14 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wreckdiving
I have an 08 rk anniversary with 3500 miles and all the extra chrome bling,rinehart eaglebeaks. Went riding over the weekend with a buddy who has an 07 ultra. The tunes that he was listening to too was making me jealous. Yeah silence is golden at times, but having music to listen to just seemed like the greatest during those long rides. The question is Trade in my baby and lose 5K right off the bat Or buy an aftermarket fairing? I was told by the dealer, if I put the fairing on I would just have a glorified RK. If you ask me looking at the pictures everything looks the same except for tour pack, fairings, and the name on the front fender. I would probably buy a fairing if they were a little more reasonable but at $2500 painted from deadcenter,thats a hit in the wallet. Any advice or maybe a used if any one knows of one. Really torn as to which direction to go. My wife thinks I am a nut all this for music. What I would really love is to trade my RK anniversary for a Ultra anniversary. Is this $5000 depreciation normal or is the dealer just trying to take advantage???
If you bought your scoot new you lost $5k as soon as you rode it off the lot. If it's the music you're really after get yourself an MP3 and some quality earbuds or custom earplugs and go ride. You'll invest around $500 and have much better sound quality. If you want the stereo to soothe your ego get ready to spend the big bucks.

Old 09-29-2008 | 03:27 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I changed from a Road King Classic to an '08 Ultra. There is more to the change than just tunes (which I do enjoy when I choose). I was looking for more protection from the weather, plus some other things. I can now ride comfortably for more of the year, while listening to some nice tunes. There pluses and minuses to all decisions. Make the choice that suits your interests and ignore others.

Old 09-29-2008 | 04:07 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I've got the Dead Center fairing. Couldn't be happier. Great system, locks, Sirius Radio, and it Rocks!! People ask me what kind of bike it is, I just say it's an Ultra King. Those that ride, understand, and those that are just looking smile, and say, Cool, man.... You can get 20% off I've heard through Rice HD. Don't have details here, cause I'm on the road, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I bought used. Used slightly, and saved a bunch. I was exactly where you are, and I was unwilling to take the beating on all the extras I've poured into my King. Your call, but I don't think you'd be disappointed. Check EBay, Craig's List, Forum Classifieds (where I got mine) and hang tough, you'll get a good deal too. Good luck

Old 09-29-2008 | 04:38 PM
wydopn231
Banned

If want to ride without wind then buy a airdam for the front.If its music theres other ways to get that.The ipods are one and you could have someone mount a unit in bags and mount remote so you can change it around.I mounted cd player behind bag on left,two speakers in side covers with some modifactions and a plug in for head set transmitter to wireles head set.Im working on custom fairing thats aero dynamic and gives me location for 4 speakers and amp.

Old 09-29-2008 | 09:23 PM
pxs130
Cruiser

+1 on J&M amplified speakers. They sound great, and you have your choice of music with your MP3 player/playlists. Not to mention that you can't beat the versatility of a RK.

Old 09-30-2008 | 08:24 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

depends on how well you like the road king? Do you run a full windshield, small windshield or no windshield? Tunes can be added ,so can lowers and a tour pak. If you can except riding behind a fairing every time you ride get the ultra. If not keep the king and add a fairing and stuff.
fairing with radio 1500-2000
vented lowers 500
king tour pak 1000
not that much difference in price between adding on or trading up. The year newer bike with the new frame probably makes it about a even deal. keep in mind you can take off the lowers and swap to a smaller windshield but a ultra will never be a king but a king can be made to be real close to the ultra.

Old 09-30-2008 | 08:32 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Yup heavymetalthunder has the deal covered. I'm in the process of converting my FLHRC into an Ultra like bike... It's a great deal of fun, and 99.99% can be done without a tech. I've added fairing, bags, pak, lowers, rails, etc. When I pulled into the dealer who sold me the FLHRC he asked me where I bought the Ultra. I don't know how often I will strip it down, but when your doing a wash and sun is shining bright it just might be the time for a stripped down bike. At any rate the only thing that is difficult (for me) are the gauges. I rather look at them on the fairing but I don't think I can do it reasonably, and then there is the issue about easily removing the fairing. At any rate I have a tach on my speedo and put the oil temp lcd unit to replace the stock stick. We'll see. I'm hoping to get some pics this weekend and then post. The bike is about 80% done, but I'd like to get some pics out for those who have been asking.

Ride safely and enjoy,
J