Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:48 AM
mrbuck
Road Master

i highly recommend a detachable fairing (though the detach is kind of a waste once its on youll never take it off) I bought a hoppe quadzilla off ebay for 1299 shipped then paid 500 for custom paint. I had to go two weeks with out it (the painted was useing it to match paint for bags) and i could not wait to have it back the bike just looks naked with out it. its by far the best money ive spent. just my .02 cents

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:52 AM
Jesse_the_kid
Advanced

I'm debating the same question with my Road king. I think that I'm going to put a removable fairing on keep my Road King. You still have the option of removing the fairing if you want the sleeker look for a local ride. My dad has one on his Road King and loves it. He bought his fairing from Jireh Cycles. Go to there web-site and search fairing. They call it Radio Caddy Fairing. Slightly different look compared to factory fairing, but not much. $589 with all hardware, just have to paint and get audio. Gives you the option to buy the head unit and speakers of your choice. Sound is just as good as factory if you buy good speakers. Take a look, if you have any questions about the fairing let me know. This will be the way I convert to having a radio on my Road King.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:52 AM
JohnB445
Tourer

I am in the exact same boat as you Wreck. I went in and sat on a 09 Electraglide Classic.

It is more than just a fairing. I liked the seat, the rider position, and other features.

If your going to invest 2,500 my 2C go in and look and ride an 09.

I only planned on keeping my 08 RK for 1 year when I bought it, and moving up after that.

I was prepared for a loss, so it was not that big a shock to me. Good Luck

I should add, I still have my 1980 Wide Glide. It is nice for those hot days, when I want

the wind in my face and only the purr of the engine.

Last edited by JohnB445; 09-28-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2008 | 11:29 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

At least check with the dealer to see what kind of a deal/trade you can get, they may surprise you, they did me. Actually had a buyer for my 06 RK w/5000 mi at $15000 but came out better on trade because of only having to pay sales tax on the difference of trade instead total sale price. Got to keep and ride RK for the 8 weeks it has taken to get it built and shipped (still not got here yet but expecting any day.) Also will yank all the acessories off and probably sell on ebay. No use in just giving them away. Trading 06 RK in on 09 black firefighter ultra.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:09 PM
chuckb
Intermediate

The display is dead on my 06 for the 3rd time. First replaced under warranty, second repaired by myself, now totally dead. I probably killed it by getting water in the head unit. My dealer says if I pull the radio they can send it in for repair for $275 + shipping. At least that's cheaper than a new radio.

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:43 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Default Get the Ultra if you can

If you can get a new ultra for 5k, that would be a great deal. My guess is it woun't happen, but if it did; now add the chrome bling you will add and what do you have maybe another 5K... now I now you can buy a dead center and hard tourpak and hard bags for less than 10, and you have your chrome and upgrades. Guages are a different issue, but I just put a dc fairing on my FLHRC; added hard bags, and a tourpak and lowers and it is fantastic!!! I do miss the guages on the dash... but, I can strip this thing down to a cool looking roadking if I feel like travieling light!

Old 09-29-2008 | 02:11 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

For me...it's nice to get away from the noise of society. Radios on bikes..no thanks!

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:00 AM
rmartino55
Intermediate

check out cycle sounds. I like the set up

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:07 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

+1 -- you have the Ultra in your system now -- if you can afford it get the Ultra -- may not be that difficult to find a 08 anniversary

Originally Posted by crewzerdude
If you can sell your Road yourself you may be able to get more out if it than the dealer trade in allowance. That would save you some money. Beware of the factory audio system, I have an 06 street glide I bought used and the CD/radio display is dead. The radio and amplifier work you just don't know what station you are on, AM/FM or CD selected. The previous owner told me it went dead after the warranty expired. From reading on this forum this is a common problem with the Harley audio system.

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:35 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Okay, get a geezer glide and you have a geezer bike that you can do nothing with "looks wise".

Keep the RK and add the fairing and you have the most versitile tourer that HD makes. Kick azz boulevard cruiser AND music singing tourer.

Quick Reply: roadking no fairing vs ultra with fairing