Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys with bagger apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

6' and have the 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars. My seat height is a lot lower than stock so they would be comparable to a 15-16" bar though. While I love the looks and feel of the bars is I had it to do over I would go wth the Cyclesmith 13" bars they don't cost near as much and they are actually 12"s where your hands are. A local buddy has them on his bike and we compared the bars. The Yaffe bars are 13"s at hand height both were measured from the bottom of the bars.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 AM
shadowrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember if your bars put your hands higher than your shoulders your heart is
gonna have work a little more to pump the blood up there, I would think you would loose
a little high-speed cornering ability to, how do you ride, just cruise around or do you hit
some twisties every now and then, and do you mind your bars having some flex to them?
because 18 or 20 inches you can really flex around, I like my bars to be solid and
responsive, you might want to install long extension wires that way if you change the bars
to taller you won't have to re-do the wires.

gl

Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 AM

thanks to all the advise so far! to answer your question shadowrunner i ride a preaty good mix of a types of roads. some would prob say i ried hard as well. i do enjoy the twistes and wouldnt want to sacrifice control in both high and low speed cornering. i have to say my mind is deef made up to go with apes now i just have to decide which of the two bars will work best for me. if anyone has anymore input say it cuz i like to know as much as i can about things like this when making a decision to ensure i make the beest one the first time

Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
MIglide
Advanced
Question

How long of a job was it to do the swap with the internal wiring and such??

Old 09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

16" on all my bikes last 25 yrs, some were hand made. Im 5-8 no problems.........

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...ure062-1-1.jpg

Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
harley1005
Tourer
Default Yaffe 13" Apes

I'm 6' and I am running the 13" Paul Yaffe Apes on my 2008 SG. I love them. They are just below shouler height and very comfortable. You can order these bars with all the cables, lines and wiring included, even the fluids if you choose to do so.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MIglide
How long of a job was it to do the swap with the internal wiring and such??
Yeah... I hear that the labor is the majority of the expense with converting to apes.
I overheard a guy at the dealership tell a guy it was like an 8 hour job including hiding the cables & wiring inside the bars.
It was something like a thousand bucks all said & done.
I'd have to want them pretty bad to shell out THAT much!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't imagine riding a bagger without apes

Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'9" and have 12" chubby apes and a rider backrest, cured all back pain from my bad lower back!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:41 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I and others failed to mention is,when you have the bars off,change the bushing to the urathane ones.It will make the bars more solid and responsive.I didn't lose any control at high speed or in the twisties with my 13".I've read on here where some people changed the bar clamps to a one piece instid of the two piece.I couldn't find one so used the stock clamps and haven't had any probs after 10,000 miles yet.It took me two days to do mine.I was by myself and didn't get in any hurry.Its not hard,just time consumming.2 six packs should get you thru it.

Quick Reply: guys with bagger apes