Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug at Head-Quarters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Doug at Head-Quarters?

User Deleted Post

Last edited by BCSG; 10-09-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the reverse with him. I thought about going with the 39's with a 95" and 10 1/4 JE pistons, and heads done by Big Boyz and he told me it would be over cammed with that setup, because of the heads? He said go with the 34's, Dunno?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh? WtH? Don't get it.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:11 PM
BCSG
Tourer

What don't you get Bigskyhd? He mentioned that the head work that goes with the 0034's was "amature" at best. Why would someone say that about a product/service that they offer. He inferred that I should go with the 0039 set up which is more $$$.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

What I don't get BCCustomK is that he would tell one person one thing, and another the exact opposite. Is that clear enough for you? Do you get that?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Cool

I think it's maybe upselling???

Last edited by BCSG; 09-26-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you may have misunderstood. The 0034 aand 0039 cams are the same price. 0034's work great with stock heads and no to mild increase in compression. The 0039s work well with compression increase up to 10.5:1. All depends on where you want to go. Maybe try calling again and getting a clarification. Doug doesn't do "mild" headwork. His work is tops in my opinion and if you did'nt get the answers you wanted, you may not have asked the right questions. By all means, call Doug back or give Kevin a call, he will spend the time necessary to explain everything. Hope all works out well for you.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
What I don't get BCCustomK is that he would tell one person one thing, and another the exact opposite. Is that clear enough for you? Do you get that?
But, it's not the "exact opposite." One is asking about a cam for HQ heads (which are fully ported, including removing the valve guides to access the intake port), while the other guy is asking about a street port job which leaves the valve guide in and doesn't open nearly as much of the intake port--not nearly as much air flow with the street port job compared to the full head porting HQ does.

So Doug was telling the guy with the street port heads that the HQ--0039 would be too much cam for the volume of air the street ported heads could flow.

As for the "mild headwork" remark, HQ does full head porting; no street porting--it may have been the latter he was referring to as being "amateur."

As for the other guy, he doesn't mention what piston, or compression he was going to run.

As Dalton mentioned, there is no upselling: both cams sell for the same price.

Stick with the HQ heads and follow Doug's advice; sounds like some miscommuncation that would easily be clarified.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-26-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM
speedglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCCustomK
For those that have done HQ builds and dealt with them, I've done my homework, and only have so much $$$ to spend on a 95" upgrade. I was going to go with 0034g and the head work to match (opening them up-done by HQ) I emailed Doug @ HQ on compression, and he replied that "the mild head work" is amature? Huh? did I catch Him on a bad day or Is the 0039g set up really the way to go. I've talked with him once on the phone, and once on email. He suggested I forget the 0034's and do the 0039's, and wouldn't say why. Is it worth the $$$ up sell. I can't figure this guy out. Should I talk to Kevin?

Thanks.
Hey BCC-
I'm planning a build this winter myself. I have been following the HQ techline forum for months. From what I gather, although Doug is the man with experience, at this point he is more or less at the machine work end of it, and Kevin is more at the customer service end. I think Kevin has a good grasp of HQ's products. I wouldn't give up yet on HQ, I have been comparing the experiences of many folks and their builds here, along with their dyno sheets, and HQ is an excellent choice from what I can see.
Here is the link to the HQTechline if you do not already have it...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=324375474
Lots of good info here!!!
Good luck with your build. Post your progress and results here for the rest of us!!
Jason

Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you when deciding on what build to do. I had read a lot of good things about HQ on this website so I called them. They were nice to talk to but didn't make that great of an impression on me. I'm not knocking HQ just giving my opinion.

I used to do a lot of drag racing so I have spent many hours on the phone dealing with builders. My experience in the past has taught me to go with the guy who is willing to take the time to explain, educate and provide support no matter how trivial.

I went with Steve at GMR for this reason, plus GMR is more affordable.

I gave Steve at GMR a deadline to have my kit to me and he was 4 days early. Thats impressive!

Before you make a final decision give GMR a call. You'll be glad you did.

Quick Reply: Doug at Head-Quarters?