Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Torque Fairing Screws

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wrap shop rags over my passing lamps, prevents the fairing from getting scatched and I also place one on my front fender, just in case

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones

Any of you guys use blue loctite on them?
I wouldn't use Loctite on anything that's near a plastic part, as it may cause it to crack in the vicinity of the application. This is a known problem and you can read more about it on the Loctite FAQ, but I'm not sure if the type of plastic used on HD fairings is subject to the problem. I do know that HD recommended using Loctite on the quick-disconnect kit for the fairing lowers, which I think is the same type of plastic as the fairing, so perhaps it is okay to do. I still wouldn't use it there, however--and keep in mind the top screws are also near the windshield, which is another type of plastic.

I had a discussion about this with a Loctite sales rep and he said the problem was the "light ends" (carrier liquid) in the solution, and once it evaporates there is no risk. The problem for most applications is keeping it away till that happens.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Protection

Originally Posted by Bushy
I wrap shop rags over my passing lamps, prevents the fairing from getting scatched and I also place one on my front fender, just in case
Always good to protect ahead of time. Even easier than shop rags... I put an old sock over the passing lamps... just use an old, white, athletic sock on each lamp... they stay put, unlike the shop rag I used to use. Just a thought...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe it's just me but loctite and a torque wrench on seven little fairing screws seems ****. I know it calls for this in the service manual, but really, a torque wrench? Had mine off several times and always tightened by hand and never lost one. Dumb luck I guess.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
There is a new insert that replaces the three up top on the inside. The new insert is threaded on the inside and outside, unlike the old insert that was just knurled on the outside. I bought three of them a few weeks ago and will try to find the part number.
The part number is..........................16585-96