Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Torque Fairing Screws

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJE8
Hey kjmorgan...

It's a piece of cake! I did the same thing several weeks ago. Speaker upgrade, Kisan modulator, HD XM unit, new painted inner fairing, oil temp gauge...it looks great and sounds a whole lot better!

BTW...while you have the fairing off put some DynaMat on the inside of the front half of the fairing to reduce resonance! It makes a big difference!

Steve
Wow, that's all almost exactly what I want to do! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I won't hesitate to add this to my list of "winter" projects. I'm also going to check those fairing screws for tightness next time I ride.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 PM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my outer fairing off a number of times and I always just hand tighten the screws just not to tight. I have never had a problem with them comin loose. Just be very carefull as I had a friend of mine break the insert off because he went overboard when reinstalling.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a new insert that replaces the three up top on the inside. The new insert is threaded on the inside and outside, unlike the old insert that was just knurled on the outside. I bought three of them a few weeks ago and will try to find the part number.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 PM
kens03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great advice

I use the blue loctite at work and it is great stuff. I have also used the purple loctite for real small screws and think it may hold good for this application and break loose even easier. Just a thought here. I haven't lost any of without using any thing so I never would have thought of this. Thanks much Guy's.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my fairing cap off to replace my handlebars. I did not use locktite,nor did I torque the screws. I have yet to loose any of them,and I do get alot off viberation. I have been a mechanic for over 15yrs. and I was always taught not to use locktite on plastic. Are you guys sure it won't damage the plastic?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purple loctite

For the fairing screws, Permatex Purple works great!

http://www.permatex.com/products/mot...ker_PURPLE.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +1 Purple loctite

For the fairing screws, Permatex Purple works great!

http://www.permatex.com/products/mot...ker_PURPLE.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use purple loctite (low strength) on screws with good success.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be that the fairing just settled in a little. I don't think the screws moved. It is not like torquing to metal parts together. I usually retighten after the first ride.

I use blue Loctite after I clean out the bolt holes with a pipe cleaner & compressed air. Although I am a firm believer in torque wrenches I think they provide to much lateral stress when used with delicate plastic parts. I use my very smallest socket wrench and torque by feel.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmurray
Could be that the fairing just settled in a little. I don't think the screws moved. It is not like torquing to metal parts together. I usually retighten after the first ride.

I use blue Loctite after I clean out the bolt holes with a pipe cleaner & compressed air. Although I am a firm believer in torque wrenches I think they provide to much lateral stress when used with delicate plastic parts. I use my very smallest socket wrench and torque by feel.
I too think torque by feel with stuff like this is sufficient. It always worked for me anyway.

Quick Reply: Re-Torque Fairing Screws