Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know I got hosed somewhere in the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts
Default I know I got hosed somewhere in the deal?

About a month ago I was riding an 03 Big Dog Pitbull Rigid and had listed it for 13,500.00 and was hoping on jumping on a used Road King, 05 or 06. Then started thinking well if I only have to finance a few thousand I should probably get an 07 with the bigger motor and 6speed.

Having never sat on a Road King I went to Rossmeyer's in Sunrise (and even with all the horror stories - these guys treated me very well). They had no Road Kings but they had a 2007 Black Road Glide that had some nice work done to it. Rinehart exhuast, SERT, SE/AC, Chrome lower, and bolt cover, chrome hand controls, HD grips, matching floor boards and pegs, short antenna, progressive shocks and a few other things here and there. Bike had 7k miles on it. So to play the game with the sales guy he tells me how much do i want for my bike and I say no less than 13g's. He comes back and gives me 13,250 for it? and tells me the Road Glide will come out to 16,999.00. I'm thinking 3800.00 bucks and I got a new bike. So I don't haggle and say lets do it. Still the 16,9 price in my head with all the stuff the bike has sounds great. Then they add the dealer fees of 580.00 bucks or so and I'm still good with the deal and the numbers. Hell they gave me MORE for my bike that I was planning on selling for on the street and now I didn't have to pay taxes on that portion of the trade in.

here's where I feel jipped a bit. So the bike is outta warranty - the owner bought it in 06 so the lady tells me 4 years for 1299.99 and then some other crap, and lo jack and I finally say yes to this tire and rim package for 415.00. Now my sale just got jacked up close to 2g;s. In my head 16999 +1300+415 = 18714.00??

I coulda gotten a brand new 08 for that price - but it woulda been bone stock. The deal on the bike sounded great...but after this warranty crap it just got ugly and they got me by telling me its only 11 dollars more a month. I think once I pay off the balance in a few months I'll cancel the plan.

I do love my bike and even thought I'm still figuring her out as I we go - that Road Glide is gonna be with me for a while. Man, she's comfy, fast enough, smoothe, has attitude and chicks dig her.

I'm a very happy Road Glide owner and in the big picture those guys treated me as a great customer, they have followed up, send me stuff, tried to keep me a happy camper and I can respect that. I just know somewhere in the numbers game they came out on top and i wanna know where.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

haze,

Either way, the deal is done. You can drive yourself crazy working and reworking the numbers, or you can just f...ing ride. Ride till you feel good....then ride some more.

Welcome to the family. You bought the right bike, if you love it, regardless.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's done, let it go. The pain and anguish you cause yourself worrying about it can make you sick. Get up early, go for a long, long ride, and have a great breakfast on the road. Get right with the Man upstairs and invite Him to ride with you. Take the long way home. Regrets and bitterness only hurt you. They're like wounds that never heal. You gotta let it go to find peace. Geez, I didn't mean to all Zen on you there. Just some ugly memories popped up. Good Luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks guys. I love the bike and on the highway cruising there is NO other bike I'd rather be on. She's mine and I take care of her cause she takes care of me. Its not the bike I'm disappointed with....not at all. I am more than happy with her.

I'm just trying to figure out at what point did I go from getting a deal to paying too much....and I think I figured out where.

its just principles, not my bike.

Thanks agiain guys - that was great advice!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is that "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS" thing when ya need it?!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way that bike is set up sounds very, very nice. Keep in mind that to do that kind of work on a new bike would have been in the $3K-$4K range (thats money you can put to other stuff - tour packs, etc. The fact that you got a warranty is pretty sweet. Its basically peace of mind that you bought for the next few years.

If I had to pick out anything you likely could've worked them on, it would be "dealer fees". That figure may include floor space (rent), commission, paper work, etc., etc., etc.,

But, even if you "paid $500 too much", it will be quickly forgotten each time someone says "hey, nice bike". More than other peoples compliments, you'll enjoy the ride.

I'd recommend a good 600-700 mile over-nighter where you can just point the bike in one direction and ride for 8 or 9 hours at a stretch. You'll come home and won't spend another day thinking about whether or not the dealer made a bit of money off of you.

Remember, you got a ton of extras on that bike man... Well done.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvinc01
haze,

Either way, the deal is done. You can drive yourself crazy working and reworking the numbers, or you can just f...ing ride. Ride till you feel good....then ride some more.

Welcome to the family. You bought the right bike, if you love it, regardless.
You sound familiar. I get buyers remorse with every big purchase for two weeks. It happened with my Ultra too but now I am over it and lovin life. One problem you may have is the folks that get on the boards and tell you they just got a new bike and the dealer paid them to take it off their hands. I am sure some folks get smokin deals but the majority don't, so don't feel bad. Just enjoy your new scoot and post pics.

spiz

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got hosed with the warranty..... with the sert & pipes, they'll probably deny any motor warranty if something does happen, and if you do anything else to the motor (cams, etc) that will certainly void that part of the warranty anyway.
But I never buy extended warranties though....
that said, I agree with the previous posts.. ride it and don't worry about it..

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So you have a bike like mine.

I think you did well. The add-ons cost as we all know. Also, the warranty may pay for itself over time especially if you ride a lot.

Rest assured that you got what you want and it's a nice bike.

Welcome to the Roady club.
Steve

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sit down and figure out what a new one would have cost with all the upgrades. I may find you didn't get such a bad deal after all

Quick Reply: I know I got hosed somewhere in the deal?