Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for stage I owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question for stage I owners

CHEYENNE, why is the SERT so much better then the PCIII?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Luck Dragon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got P3, bike runs great. Local dealer preferred P3,

Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: skos

CHEYENNE, why is the SERT so much better then the PCIII?
For me personally.. I like the fact that I don't have to carry it on the bike or find somewhere to put it, PLUS that's just 1 less thing to go bad on the bike. They have been known to go bad.

Once you load the download useing the SERT ya take it off and your good to go.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SE Race Tuner or the PC III?

Why?
Pros?
Cons?

My PCIII is in, I just have to go pick it up. Going to HD Touring mufflers and the PCIII USB, with the SE intake I've had since taking delivery. Bike runs too lean, too hot, and I finally got it through my thick skull that the stock setup it waaaaay too quiet.

My own dealer preferred the PCIII over the SERT despite my willingness to buy either one. From advice on this site I concluded it's pretty much a win/win situation either way.
They suggested that since I don't plan to go with anymore engine mods, the PCIII would be fine. In addition, according to them, the SERT is hard-wired in, whereas the PCIII plugs into the stock harness. (anyone know otherwise?) If either were to fail the PCIII would be far less of a pain on the side of the road. It could be removed from the loop and the EFI would revert back to using the factory ECM and map to get you running again.
This is the factor that swayed me to the PCIII. I was OK with springing the extra $$$ for the SERT if it was what I felt I needed.

CN

Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb
In addition, according to them, the SERT is hard-wired in, whereas the PCIII plugs into the stock harness. (anyone know otherwise?) If either were to fail the PCIII would be far less of a pain on the side of the road. It could be removed from the loop and the EFI would revert back to using the factory ECM and map to get you running again.
The SERT is not hardwired in. It's just used to load the map into the ECM. When using the SERT if anything goes bad it will be the ECM not the SERT as it doesn't stay on the bike. The SERT is what they use to load the HD download in bikes. Also if your PCIII goes bad I don't think I would ride the bike without it as the bike will be REAL lean and then your asking for trouble.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Topper
Road Captain

Here's my SERT, and bike is in the shop, so it is not hard wired as suggested. All it does is allow you to connect a computer to a bike, nothing more, then it goes back in the box.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb
In addition, according to them, the SERT is hard-wired in, whereas the PCIII plugs into the stock harness. (anyone know otherwise?) If either were to fail the PCIII would be far less of a pain on the side of the road. It could be removed from the loop and the EFI would revert back to using the factory ECM and map to get you running again.
The SERT is not hardwired in. It's just used to load the map into the ECM. When using the SERT if anything goes bad it will be the ECM not the SERT as it doesn't stay on the bike. The SERT is what they use to load the HD download in bikes. Also if your PCIII goes bad I don't think I would ride the bike without it as the bike will be REAL lean and then your asking for trouble.

I agree with Cheyene! With the SERT, you are still using the stock ECM. The SERT just reprograms the ECM to the proper configuration. Then, store the settings in an electronic module, that can be reused if you ever have to replace the ECM.

And, if you ever disconnect your battery for any reason, the mapping in your ECM will be maintained. With the PCIII, you may have to remap it, after you reconnect the battery. This was the main reason with me getting the SERT. Plus, there is no mounting of any electronic module on the bike, that can be subjected to heat and vibration. Think practical!

Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Kahuna
With the PCIII, you may have to remap it, after you reconnect the battery. This was the main reason with me getting the SERT. Plus, there is no mounting of any electronic module on the bike, that can be subjected to heat and vibration. Think practical!
Anytime you disconnect the PCIII will always contain the map. The only way you will ever lose the map is if the actual PCIII goes bad for some reason.