Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need download???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I really need download???

I went to my local Harley dealer because I put slip on exhaust and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner kit and asked for a stage 1 download on my 06 Street Glide. The dealer told me that they will no longer do a stage 1 download because it is a waste of money for my situation because the slip ons are not real loud and they also told me that the ECM would compensate for such changes because there have been no internal modifications to the motor. I have put around 5k miles on the bike and it runs good and get 44 miles per gallon. I pulled the spark plugs and they have browning about 3-4 threads down. The bike pops on decell other than that it runs perfect. Have any of you heard of or had any similar expierence of a dealer not wanting to reprogram the EMC/ECU??

Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 AM
roadkingrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they didnt do it for my slipons, but i wouldve thought they would do it after doing a different intake too.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

I agree, you don't need it for the slip ons. but if you change the intake, then you should have the download.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I am doing this exact experiment with a new Ultra, other than pinging wondering what other signs of causing damage would be.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/280211-d-and-d-super-boss-with-high-flow-seac-installed-w-o-map.html

Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Your dealer is telling you something that is not accurate. The intake and exhaust modifications will introduce more air into the system and the programming on the ECM will not compensate for the lean condition of the mixture. That's the very purpose of the HD Download - to adjust the air/fuel mixture for these types of modifications. To run the bike without some sort of ECM reprogramming - either the download or one of the aftermarket tuners- will rob you of power and perhaps even damage the engine.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Please see my posting from yesterday,
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/280009-one-to-think-about.html I was told a similar thing from 2 different dealers,

Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

I have just been in contact with my Dealer wanting them to do a Stage1 Re-map for me, I did not believe what he said so tried another Dealer, they both asked what I have done (non-Harley exhausts V&H Straight slip-ons and screaming eagle AC ) and what model my bike is, (2008 FXDC), they inform me Harley have not provided them with a stage I download for the 2008/2009 Dyna, the last one they recieved was for the 2007 96 inch model, the dealers inform me the ex-factory mapping for the 2008/2009 was changed because of the high temps experienced on the 2007 models and as such the 2008/2009 models can have the Screaming Eagle street legal Stage 1 upgrade without remapping, is this correct??? , if this is correct then I would have no option other than to purchase a fuel management system, which one would you recommend,

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

See reply I recieved below when I posed the question to Nightrider,

Our own test bike is an 08 FXDC. We have a set of Khrome Werk HP Plus slip-ons installed on it. All we are using are a set of our XiED's on it.

The closed loop EFI systems used on the TC96 engines will compensate for exhaust/ac upgrades for normal riding conditions. As long as you are not an overly aggressive rider, you can get by without any remapping. The ECM will maintain a 14.6:1 AFR for normal riding situations.

If you want to fine tune the ECM for all riding conditions, (normal, heavy throttle, full throttle) then the Mastertune TTS software would be the most cost effective. The TTS software is basically an aftermarket version of the SE Race Tuner. So using TTS and some Dyno tuning, you would optimize power across the entire riding range. The final alternative would be replacing the OEM ECM with the ThunderMax ECM. The T-Max has an "auto tune" option that takes care of 85%+ of riding conditions.

Estimated costs:
XiED - average rider - $100 - Advantage - simple - Disadvantage - Stage 1 only

TTS - $400 - Dyno Tuning $250-$350 - Advantage - Excellent flexibility, uses OEM ECM, Similar to SERT - Disadvantage - Cost, need experienced tuner

T-Max - $850 - Advantage - high degree of autotuning - Disadvantage - major warranty issues

Stephen Mullen

SPMullen LLC

www.Nightrider.com

www.tuneyourharley.com

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

Here's my .02 cents worth.

By all accounts, you need a fuel management system and I'd highly recommend the HD SE Race Tuner. It reprograms the ECM and can (and should) be dyno tuned to your bike. A download, in your case, is NOT going to do the trick.

Yes, it's expensive, but you get exactly what you need for your machine and you can tweak it for any changes you make later down the road.

From a personal standpoint, I didn't like the idea of a PCIII, although many here will tell you that is the way to go. I just didn't like the idea of a third party "box" strapped to my motorcycle as a possible single point of failure.

You've spent plenty on your bike and add on stuff... why ride in coach when you can fly in First Class?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the nightrider guy when he recommended the TTS tuner. The information regarding it can be more completely understood as:

"if there is currently one for your bike, or when they develop it (in the process of completing the lineup now), the new-format TTS map file will work in conjunction with a special datalog file by some now-new TTS software to autotune your VE tables up to 90+% while riding appropriately. And the last bit can be fine-tuned without a dyno, too, by those willing to do the work manually, in steps. Alternatively, a dyno-tuner can use the new software/capabilities to greatly decrease the amount of time necessary for the task."

If there are indeed no stage-1 downloads for those 08/09 models, then maybe there is some truth to the expanded "autotuning" capabilities of those EFI systems. I'd still go with the TTS tuner regardless.

Quick Reply: Do I really need download???