Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:01 PM
kwk4899
|
Stage IV
Default primary noise

I just had my first service on my 09 sg.After getting home from the dealer,which is all highway driving I was in stop&go traffic.I noticed that when I let the clutch out it was not as smooth as it was before the service.I also heard a noise coming from the primary when I depressed the clutch.I called the dealer they told me that it takes 100 miles for the chain adjuster to seat.Anyone ever have this problem.Also did not have noise problem before service.

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:13 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kwk4899
.I called the dealer they told me that it takes 100 miles for the chain adjuster to seat.
This is baloney. If the dealer adjusted the clutch as part of the service, chances are they adjusted it improperly. The noise from the primary sounds like they did not adequately tighten the nut and set screw in the clutch basket. Just my .02

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:16 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Default Oil??????

Maybe you should check to see if they put oil in. I dont believe that the auto chain tensioner needs time to adj. It opens as soon as the cable tie is cut and stays that way. I have also heard of the compensator bolt loosening and causing noise in the primary.

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:58 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

If you told the dealer that you wanted synthetic lube in the primary....or trans or engine, the extra noise could be just from that. The synthetic lube is a bit thinner allowing more noise to escape.

I dont think its the clutch push-rod adjustment lock nut. If they left that too loose or didn't put it on, the clutch would come out of adjustment quickly, and you would know that was it.

You could just pull the derby cover and have a quick look.....just have a new o ring/gasket to replace the old one in case its messed up and needs changing.

Old 09-24-2008 | 05:18 PM
scoote2008
6th Gear

If you are mechanical at all I would pull the Clutch cover and see if the jam Nut
is on the clutch shaft and if it is make sure its tight
I have a 2008 flhrc
I had a 2002 FLHRC took it to the dealer for the 1000 SVC I also noticed a slight rattle
in the primary after the SVC dealer said no problem, I left the next day for Daytona Bike week 350miles spent 3 days there on Sunday started home on I-10 about 50 miles up the road my clutch lever flopped against my hand I was in the middle of no where and realized if I stopped with no clutch I would never get started again almost made it home
but had to stop for traffic within 50 miles of home I had a few tools but needed an allan wrench to remove the passenger foot board to remove the Clutch cover a rider stopped
had the wrench, got it off I discovered the Jam nut was left loose and had come off the clutch shaft and through the the primary chain
Long story short it wiped out every thing in the primary case, clutch,chain, sprockets
the case was full of ground metal I screwed the shaft in enough that I had a clutch replaced the cover and rode it home of course the shaft backed out right away
and there was no clutch but I made It. The icing on the cake was when I took it to the dealer the next day on my trailer. I played dumb I Just told them what happened but didn't tell them I had the cover off and saw the problem when they got it tore down the service manager came to me and said since I didn't stop as soon as the problem started
I was responsible for the cost of repair. I was in the middle of no where and on Sunday with no phones.remember the bike has only about 1600 miles at this time needless to say I went ballistic questioned his parentage then stormed into the owners office and began to raise hell the show room was full of customers he closed the door got me cooled down and I explained it was the service depts Blunder that caused the problem
and the situation I was in on the road, they fixed it at no cost to me and the SVC manager lost his job.
Hope this is not your problem but worth a check
scoote2008

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:03 AM
newrench
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kwk4899
I called the dealer they told me that it takes 100 miles for the chain adjuster to seat.Anyone ever have this problem.
Why would the adjuster need to "seat" after a service??
sounds like a lack of product knowledge on the there part to me.

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:44 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I dont believe synthetic oil is thinner, I think its the same viscosity as stated on the bottle. Synthetic maintains its viscosity better than dino at high temps. I would open the primary to make sure they put oil in the primary first then check the retaining nut. There was a member here that smoked his primary because dealer did not put the oil back in the primary during his service.

Originally Posted by biz44
If you told the dealer that you wanted synthetic lube in the primary....or trans or engine, the extra noise could be just from that. The synthetic lube is a bit thinner allowing more noise to escape.

I dont think its the clutch push-rod adjustment lock nut. If they left that too loose or didn't put it on, the clutch would come out of adjustment quickly, and you would know that was it.

You could just pull the derby cover and have a quick look.....just have a new o ring/gasket to replace the old one in case its messed up and needs changing.

Old 09-25-2008 | 06:48 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Get them to check the compensator bolt and the clutch basket nut. I would bet one of them is loose.

Old 09-25-2008 | 07:55 AM
cmcsns
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
Get them to check the compensator bolt and the clutch basket nut. I would bet one of them is loose.
+1 if the adjustment rod lock nut came off or backed out you'd notice the clutch out of adjustment pretty quickly

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:49 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I dont believe synthetic oil is thinner, I think its the same viscosity as stated on the bottle. .
That may be true and I can't say it isn't, but all the gaskets on my 02 RKC have been seeping a little after changing over to synthetic a year ago. Not enough that you could run your finger along the gasket and feel the oil, but you sure see it. Except for the primary, I do get a few very light runs below the inspection plate. The only reason I don't go back to dino oil is the synthetic has made a big difference in heat and in the way she shifts.

Beary

Quick Reply: primary noise