Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide owners need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
harley albert
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road glide owners need advice

Thinking of moving up to the Road Glide. I started with a VROD and switched to a Fatboy. I want more comfort and wind protection. I have riden a Street Glide many times and plan to rent a Road Glide to compare bikes. BUT tell me your biased opinion. Why do most Road Glide owners RAVE about their scooters? They all seem to be in a separate class. Is it the FAIRING vs. the batwing fairing of the Street Glide? Regardless, give me your thoughts on your own Road Glide.

Many thanks!

RIDE HARD AND RIDE SAFE!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
p3ripperfw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fairing does produce a smoother pocket of air in my opinion.....I have no helmet buffeting with mine and can hear the radio well also......I really like the looks also kind of takes you back to an older day....I like the nastalgic looks of the bike the most

Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
jbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the shark nose is cool and distinctive only to the RG, that's what I like most about the bike. It looks sleek to me. I must say, I also like the bat wing but not in the same way.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't want one of those f'ugly road glides. Just because because they are HD's best kept secret and cut through the wind with ease. I'm telling you in advance...you will luv it. Damn now everyone will want one.

I had an 02 Ultra but always wanted an RG. Now that I have one I will will never go back to a batwing.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Handling is the biggest difference ~ particularly cornering. It is due to the fact that the air (down force, cross wind, etc) goes directly into the chassis or suspension, rather than blowing against the fairing / windshield and into the steering / fork assembly.

On my 2nd RG now, after an EGC & Heritage. My next bike will most certainly be RG #3!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,310 Likes on 11,392 Posts

never owned a batwing bike, so I can't compare.....
but we just returned from a 850 mile trip from Maine
thru NH and VT and into NY and back again.
It was windy / breezy as is typical this time of year....
absolutely no trouble, as the sharknose knifed its way
thru and kept looking for more.

I'm absolutely loving this bike

Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No No, you have it wrong. It would actually be a "step down" to go the ugly road glide. Bat Wing ftw!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add to the above posts by saying, my biggest thing is the way the windshield and gauges are-how to say it-out there.
Meaning they are not right up in your face so to speak.
For me that's a good thing!
If that makes any sense?!
I don't feel crowded in the front and I have of lately tried to convince myself of the Ultra.
But thinking at this point would rather turn what I have into a Ultra Roadie!
Add a detachable king tour pac w/speakers, detachable lowers, more comfy seat, amp and speakers!
Should do it!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I went from an Electra Glide to a Road Glide back in Jan. of this year. I like the look of the batwing for the front but I don't ride it from the front. The Road Glide gives me room and an envelope of clean air to ride in. I had to ride my wife's Electra Glide a couple of months back and felt like I was crammed into the dash. I did change handlebars, seat, windshields, and added fairing loweres but Wow, "I love my bike".

Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts

Who would want that FUGLY looking bike? You'll be outcast by all members of the riding community, well except for the other riders of Road Glides who are blind as well. The Batwingers and goldwingers and crotch rocket guys will all laugh at your Fugly funny looking bike. You may get some sympathy from the victory vision guys but don't expect to much. The resale value stinks as well. cause nobody wants one. The ride is an aquired taste and not for everyone. Kinda like good scotch, very smooth.

Quick Reply: Road glide owners need advice