Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals vs 2 into 1 Exhaust and Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default True Duals vs 2 into 1 Exhaust and Heat

I know that people seem to go with true duals for the heat issue more than performance, and go with a 2 into 1 for performance, but what are the issues with heat when both pipes are running on the right side. Do you really loose that much performance with the true duals?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
p3ripperfw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some of the true duals out now have got to be extremely hot with the cross over designs like klock works and bassani I just dont see how they are not with all the extra pipe wrapping around the cyliners and toward the upper part of the engine where the heat is going to come right up to the rider....I know they are doing it to try and limit torque loss and make the engine as efficient as possible but I wouldnt use one of these designs unless it was ceramic coated to help cut the heat a little....thats just my take on it though...

I plan on getting D&D fat cat with ceramic coating for the performance but also because if you notice all the duals have the left side pipe coming right by the passengers foot and when I rode a friends electra with rinehart td my girlfriend could notice a big difference in heat on her left foot and shin....I didnt notice it too much difference between that and my screamin eagle 2:1 and the power loss was not that noticable either....but then again I was just cruising and not really cranking on it.......I figure if I want performance and speed and power ill put a bigger motor in other than that my 88" isnt a powerhouse anyways and I didnt buy the bike to be fast or pull hard I bought it to be smooth and do long miles and that it does perfectly whether I have true duals or 2:1...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Anyone else? I know there are alot of people who have probably been though 3-4 pairs of exhaust, who have noticed alot of different heat issues.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 PM
catracho
Road Captain

I´m running thundeheaders 2in1.

Very happy with my choice. I like the sound and the performance. I did put the heat shields too.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 PM
mhud
Road Captain

I've not run true duals but I can tell you from running 2 to 1 Fatcats vs stock with stage 1 slip ons on my 08 RG I feel more right side heat with the Fatcats. It's not unbearable; to me the performance gain thru the torque range is worth it.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bald1der
Thanks. Anyone else? I know there are alot of people who have probably been though 3-4 pairs of exhaust, who have noticed alot of different heat issues.
Vance and Hines pro pipe bp 2 into 1 here, and on my last HD as well.

when I got my ultra it had the V&H slip on turn downs, I had them off and a 2 into 1 put on as soon as I could scrounge up the $$.

for me... 2 into 1 is less heat <shrugging> but that's just my 0.05

99%r

Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heat issues

I ran Reinharts for the first 9 months or so that I had my 08 SG. Being a short rider the heat was always an issue especially on the left side of the bike. The pipe there didn't tuck in like on the stock exhaust and it was always on the back side of my thigh, especially when I backed up. Sitting at a light was terrible. Recently I switched over to a 2 into 1 D&D fatcat. The heat difference is incredible. I have to admit the power gain by going to the 2into1 was non existant at leat in the Dyno #'s anyway. Seat of the pants says mid range feels a little more spunky and the sound is sweet but the heat issue was well worth the money. There is obviously no heat on the left side now and the way the pipe is tucked in on the right makes it feel like less heat as well. I am thoroughly happy with the switch. I have to admit I am a little unhappy with the performance as I was expecting a gain but for me the big issue was heat so I am a happy guy!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had Rinehart TD's on my '04 EG for 2+ years; never had a 2-into-1 pipe. The stock 88 is basically a 60 hp/70 ft. lbs tq engine; with the SE a/c and the RTD's, the performance increased to 74 hp/78 tq.

There was a significant reduction in heat without the the rear cylinder right side pipe.

As for performance diff with 2-into-1, it's a pretty modest tq loss of about 5 ft/lbs at low rpms IIRC from seeing some dyno sheets in the past. Personally, my butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to notice the difference. The appearance, sound, and over-stock improvement of the RTD's has been more than enough for me not to consider any subsequent exhaust changes in the past 40K miles.

Good luck with your research.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bald1der
I know that people seem to go with true duals for the heat issue more than performance, and go with a 2 into 1 for performance, but what are the issues with heat when both pipes are running on the right side. Do you really loose that much performance with the true duals?

I went with Rinehart TD,s for performance and looks and not the heat issue. Of course my '06 didn't have the inherent heat issues of the later models. I've never noticed any difference between the stock system and the TD's regarding heat on the left side and found no discernable difference in torque when it was still an 88 incher. When teamed with a Big Sucker and a PCIII none of my buddies stage 1- 96 inchers could stay with it. It revved farther (RevExtend) and just kept making more power. I've had plenty of 2-1,s and I'm not biased one way or the other. Naturally there was more heat on the right side with the 2-1, but it was never intolerable.
Now the thing's a cammed 95" running higher comp. pistons. Still no heat issues even with 100 hp. The power comes on at 2500 rpm and keeps building all the way to 6000 rpm. Tons of torque and fun.