Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall boy seat screwed up my fender, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:00 AM
timvan
|
Road Warrior
Default Tall boy seat screwed up my fender, now what?

I put a tall boy seat on my 09 UC in the dealers parking lot before driving the bike home. The bracket thats attached to the seat for the screw down point has 2 bolts to secure it to the seat. One of the bolts has managed to make contact with the fender resulting in a nice area of paint removal.

My thought is that the seat is made for the bike, so why did it hit my fender?

What should I do to resolve it? I really dont want a repainted fender on a new bike

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:54 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

My Sundowner Seat did the same thing, but I caught it before it did much damage. I removed the bolt that was rubbing and ground the head down untill it cleared.
I wound up with a small U-shaped circle in the paint under the seat. It just barley shows so I am just going to let it go.

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:00 AM
wishbonecg
Cruiser

My original seat did it, after it was customized by a highly touted member of this forum. When he restapled it, the staples ate into the fender paint. I had it repaired and bought a sundowner and it also damaged my fender. Based on those two experiences, I strongly advise against buying HD seats. My Corbin seat treats my bike with much more respect!

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:08 AM
Beercan321
Tourer

Same problem for me. I put a tallboy seat on my RKC. A few weeks later I removed the seat and their was a fairly large area of paint that was scraped off. I touched up the spot so it wouldn't rust and decided to live with it. It can't be seen unless the seat is removed. You would think Harley would use a better design to prevent this from happening.

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:18 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

If it's under the tab that bolts the rear of the seat to the fender, cut a small piece of leather (or material of your choice) that compliments your seat/paint scheme, poke a hole just large enough for the bolt, & use it as a pad for the tab & bolt.

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:42 AM
timvan
|
Road Warrior

Good idea Jinks,
Should one have to modify a item that is sold for a particular bike by the same manufacture that produces the bike? I would think that a company as large as HD would think a bit further ahead and do it right the first time.

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:07 PM
CooterP
Novice

timvan, I have a 09 UC coming the end of October and was considering the tall boy seat as well. Other than the paint bolt issue are you pleased with the seat? Does it move you back far enough? Is is comfortable? Just looking for all the room I can get and I like that this years tall boy seat moves you back and not up.

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:37 PM
timvan
|
Road Warrior

The seat does move me back as my wife has less room...it has some issues, hot spots and will push me foward if not on the hwy pegs.. other than that and the paint scratch, its good.

I think im going to have it modified a bit to fit my liking

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:49 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

To prevent future scratches or even your first one, take 4 or more pieces of the hook portion of adhesive backed hook and loop material (Velcro) and attach to the bottom of the seat covering any protruding pieces and all portions that will come into contact with your fender.

Using the velcro points, lay and attach a clean microfiber towel onto the bottom of seat and mount on the bike tucking in any exposed edges.

Makes a nice buffer between seat and fender.

Edit: The towel should be changed after each ride to prevent dust/dirt building up between the towel and fender.

Primo

Last edited by Primo; 09-23-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-23-2008 | 01:57 PM
timvan
|
Road Warrior

there are plenty of ways to prevent this.. I should not have to do one of them though

Quick Reply: Tall boy seat screwed up my fender, now what?