Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP w/ buying the right '09 touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008 | 05:57 AM
helikenny
Advanced

Curt,
As U know U will get many opinions on whats the best, It's easy to sort out what YOU need. Do you want the confines of a fairing full time? If not go with the RK. If you want ultimate handling at hiway speeds and the twisties go with the RG,,,,,,,that is, if you like the looks of the fairing. If your not realy excited with the fairing of the RG go with the EG family.

Old 09-23-2008 | 05:59 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

do NOT buy a Road Glide.... for they are UGLY, women will scorn you, dogs will pee on your tires, and you'll be so busy riding, the boys back at the bar will forget your name....

beyond THAT.... there isn't MUCH difference just style and taste...

Old 09-23-2008 | 09:16 AM
ghostflamed
|
Road Captain

Anybody heard of someone mounting a batwing fairing to a RKC? I imagine those fairings don't come on and off in a matter of minutes but maybe I'm wrong.

I really like the overall nostalgic look of the Road King Classic but figure I am going to want fairing protection in the long run as I ride distance pretty frequently.

Old 09-23-2008 | 09:40 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

If you like having a radio, and could see yourself ever wanting a Tourpak some day, you might want to substitute a EG Classic with removable Tourpak mount ,for your FLHT choice.

Old 09-23-2008 | 09:44 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I like options. You need to sort out what your priorities are. I went with the Road King, and then used it as a canvas to build what I want. I discovered I really like the fairing, so I went with the Dead Center Fairing. I thought I would really like the option of riding w/o it too, but after a couple of thousand with it, what I found out is I love it. Love the radio, the Sirius subscription, and the protection. And I've fallen in love with the look. So all the options I've got, detachable's, different size windshields, luggage racks, they're all sitting in the garage as my Geezer Glide now has the tour pack and Bat Wing. It's hard to really know what you really want, or what you're really going to like a year from now. And that was the reason I started with the Road King. It offered the most Options for me. So do a little soul searching, ride them all, and see if you can come close to determining exactly what it is you want out of your scoot. Then just go for it. It'll all come together. Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2008 | 09:49 AM
NorCalrider
Advanced

Your concerns are similar to mine. I had a road king before I got my EGC and I loved it but I had changed the seat (tall boy EG style) and bars. I too thought I would like to remove the windshield around town but I never did. On my EGC I have put cruise control, a tall boy seat to give me more room and the forward mount kit for the footboards so my feet don't hang off the front. I also put some highway pegs on the crash bar for when my knees start to ache. I think this setup sounds like what you're looking for. Good luck with your choice.

Old 09-23-2008 | 09:59 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

do not buy a Road Glide

Old 09-23-2008 | 10:42 AM
Cruisin1966
Tourer

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
Anybody heard of someone mounting a batwing fairing to a RKC? I imagine those fairings don't come on and off in a matter of minutes but maybe I'm wrong.

I really like the overall nostalgic look of the Road King Classic but figure I am going to want fairing protection in the long run as I ride distance pretty frequently.
Quick detach fairing? Yup, seen it, and may do it to my '09 FLHRC. My Father makes brackets for the older style fairing shells (less weight) which attach the same way the windshield does. Off and on in seconds.

There are a few options for the same thing out there. Some include the typical fairing internals (radio, speakers, etc), some do not.

This is one of the reasons I settled on the Road King Classic. I can run it naked, with a windshield, or a quick detach fairing. The best of all worlds.

Old 09-23-2008 | 11:03 AM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
Well...LOVE your bike BTW! Good lookin' scoot to be sure and obviously on my short list. My thing is ergos and overall comfort. I'm 6'2" and have two bad football knees from college. I need a bike I can sit on for hours at a time and find multiple positions for my legs to stretch out. I don't do a lot of 2-up riding but when I ride distance I tend to take the kitchen sink so want flexibility to carry all my junk. The right wind protection would be nice. I want to find a bike that has little head buffeting at highway speeds (not too great with the standard Street Glide screen I found.)

Is the RKC screen quick detach? I like being able to pull the screen off for local rides and then have it on for distance touring. How good is the wind protection behind that screen anyway? It's not up to say the RG's standards right?

I actually have started really digging the stereos that a few of these bikes have. Didn't expect to, but once I had really gotten a day or more on the bikes I was enjoying the tunes quite a bit. When the right road connects to the right weather, connects to the right scenery and THEN also connects to the right song drifting out over you through those external speakers the whole picture really comes together!

Ahhh...decisions, decisions.
Thanks for the compliment

Ergo's and comfort were a big thing for myself too, I'm close to your size (6' 200lbs) and I have multiple injuries from a serious motorcycle accident(I used to mainly ride super sport bikes, got bad knees, bad back, neck etc... All those bikes on your list can be easily set up to accommodate you with the right hiway peg's/mounting kit and right seat/backrest. My RKC has a quick detach windscreen which I love... I really like the look of the bike without the screen, kinda looks like a really big bagger version of a fatboy, only in a rubber mount but when I want to go anywhere far or when I want to keep the bugs/cold off my face, it snaps in seconds. The wind protection is really good, not as good as a EG as that big fairing really is solid, but it's definatley good enough for me. If you really dig the tunes I would maybe consider one of those other bikes on your short list, as you can put hog tunes on the RK but in my opinion it doesn't look too hot. Give the EG a try before you decide

Old 09-23-2008 | 11:05 AM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cruisin1966
Quick detach fairing? Yup, seen it, and may do it to my '09 FLHRC. My Father makes brackets for the older style fairing shells (less weight) which attach the same way the windshield does. Off and on in seconds.

There are a few options for the same thing out there. Some include the typical fairing internals (radio, speakers, etc), some do not.

This is one of the reasons I settled on the Road King Classic. I can run it naked, with a windshield, or a quick detach fairing. The best of all worlds.
Good point! glad I got my RKC

Quick Reply: HELP w/ buying the right '09 touring bike