Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake arm cotter pin removal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 10:22 PM
BigFokker
|
Tourer
Default Brake arm cotter pin removal...

...shouldn't be this hard should it??

I'm trying to put on an extended brake arm and all that's holding me back is the actual pin itself. 5/8" nylon lock nut is off and I got the small wire clip out of the end of the cotter, now I can't get the d*mn thing to budge at all!

Am I missing something? Does it thread in to the end of the m/c piston arm?

I've tried tapping it from the rear, gripping both ends and trying to turn and squeezing it out all to no avail! What gives??

I'm thinking that 9 years of that thing being in there may have just given it a nice "bond" or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-22-2008 | 10:25 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I took mine out when I extended the brake pedal two inches. It was just a plain straight pin. Might try penetrating oil over night, then beat the tar out of it!!

Old 09-23-2008 | 12:24 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigFokker
...shouldn't be this hard should it??

I'm trying to put on an extended brake arm and all that's holding me back is the actual pin itself. 5/8" nylon lock nut is off and I got the small wire clip out of the end of the cotter, now I can't get the d*mn thing to budge at all!

Am I missing something? Does it thread in to the end of the m/c piston arm?

I've tried tapping it from the rear, gripping both ends and trying to turn and squeezing it out all to no avail! What gives??

I'm thinking that 9 years of that thing being in there may have just given it a nice "bond" or something.

Anyone have any ideas?
There is another thread on this subject. Might find it if you search.

The pin is rusted in. Soaking it will help. You might also be able to grab the end of it and twist it to break the rust loose. I hate to say it but it may be a real PITA to get out. Last resort is that you pull the master cylinder loose to get the rod out.

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:09 AM
Emporers New Clothes
Cruiser

A screw driver from the bottom and dont miss the hit or you will be replacing your controls too.

Old 09-23-2008 | 11:05 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

You might try using a C clamp and an old socket for a receiver. It will let you put steady pressure on the pin without risking damage by trying to hammer it out. Just a thought.

Old 09-23-2008 | 05:28 PM
BigFokker
|
Tourer

Thanks evryone for the replies and ideas. I hit it last night with some WD40 before I put the pin clip back in. Maybe it's soaked in a bit and I'll try again tonight.
Sucks having big hands because there's not alot of room back there!

I'll also do a search as suggested.

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Read no further than Caveman's post.

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:40 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

I concur that this 20 minute job took me an hour and a half...penetrating oil and just kept wiggling it and finally broke free. There's very little room regardless of hand size, I did laugh quite a bit as this was pita job for no more than what it is. I was almost the point of removing front header to gain more access, but couldn't bring myself to do that, it finally came out.

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:51 PM
Rags722
Novice

Caveman's right on the money. When I did my 99, I fought like a tiger and just kept losing. I did NOT want to get so rough that I damaged the master cylinder. Finally I got smart and found a small C-clamp that I could get on the back of the shaft and a socket that just fit over the stud on the outboard side. A couple twists on the c-clamp and it worked itself right out.
Note, on my 99 there was a very small washer on the shaft as well. I found out if you drop it, it never hits the floor and is such an odd size you won't find a replacement in all the junk drawers you own. Took about another hour to find it had landed on a cable bundle against the frame. Good luck!
Rags

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:05 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

I even had a tough time getting the pin out of my 07. I can only imagine how tough it was on a 99.

One of the routine service items I now take care of is a squirt of W-D on that pin every time I wash the bike.

Another thing I did was drill tap and put a grease fitting on the shifter shaft. This is another area that gets tight and rusted after time.

Quick Reply: Brake arm cotter pin removal...