Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs...........what are people using?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
After being a AB on many flightdecks, then being in the power industry around turbines for many years. I now use ear-plugs. Ya I let the horse out of the barn when I was younger cause I know I have hearing issues. I have some custom made units, their more comfy to me. Fleshtone, not as obvious.
And I even wear them at work. Where I should have been wearing them in the begining.
At least you had that option at work! My job in the Navy consisted of listening to static at insanely loud levels (with headphones one), trying to hear drug dealers 800 miles away. I actually failed my hearing test - twice on my exit physical, but they waved it off.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
jskwarek
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of moldable ones at Walmart for 20 bucks. Comes with two different colored clay type bars that you cut in half and mix together you then cram that into your ear wait 20 mins pull them out and let sit 24 hours. Good as the ones you get from the Audiologist, but a faction of the cost.

Jeff

Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
sonic
Road Captain
Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
hogsolo
Intermediate
Default Etymotic

I use these Etymotic (http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEA...2112641&sr=8-5) plugs for concerts and such. They lower the overall decibles w/out altering the sound quality. Pretty comfortable. 1/2 the time I have my ipod in with some basic Sony ear plugs.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
mike22864
Stage I

Try cigarette filters. You can usually find them just laying on the ground. Cheapest way to go.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use these.
Howard Leight LaserLite (NRR 32) (Box of 200 Pairs)

from the ear plug super store, $19 for 200
I like 'em

Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ear Plugs

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
I get custom molded plugs. A lot more comfortable, block out more wind noise than others I have used, and come in custom colors to match your ride. Go see an audiologist or go to a biker event that has a vendor mall as I have seen audiologists at these events and where I got mine. They are made of a soft silicone, and you get your mold back so you only have to do the sitting once. Now when I need new plugs I just send them my mold and they send me new plugs for about $90 and they last about 4 years

I agree with Chicago Spike; go to an ENT/ Audiologist and get a set moulded to your ears, very comfortable and easy to use once you get the hang of installing them.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chipishere
+1 w/ mp3 player, if I use anything at all.
I keep my ipod on low enough volume that I can still hear anything important

Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my way home tonight from work I tried it with some ear plugs from work, the orange ones that you squish down and shove in your ears. It was amazing how quiet it was, and how different the bike sounded. It was nice to come down the highway at 80mph with no wind noise at all. But, they took away too much sound and I really didn't like not hearing around me. So I'm going to look for a pair with less DB reduction, also going to check out Walmart to see what they have.

I was looking around at the Ear Plug Superstore, they have some interesting ones there too.........like $10 and they are supposed to allow you to hear around you but muffle everthing at the sametime.

Steve

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Doesn't help too much in the summer time, but in cooler weather I use what are referred to as ear bags. They are bandless ear warmers that you "pop" into place over your ear. They work awesome underneath my helmet strap, don't look gay and you can still hear without having the wind in your ears.

Quick Reply: Earplugs...........what are people using?