Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Aaron, I am a mechanical design engineer and CEO of a manufacturing company. I have 2 words of advise before you put anything on the internet, free or otherwise. LIABILITY INSURANCE.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AISTQM
Aaron, I am a mechanical design engineer and CEO of a manufacturing company. I have 2 words of advise before you put anything on the internet, free or otherwise. LIABILITY INSURANCE.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! Just got back from Reno, Nv. Street Vibrations. Almost 1000 miles round trip. Bike did awesome all-around! The stabilizer sure helps a lot. Really notice it on the long sweepers doing 70-80mph. I am in the process of building a website that has plans offered on it and will have some made-up too. I will keep guys informed that have PM'd me.

Aaron

Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You go Aaron...and good luck to you!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I made one for roaking custom it helped with little wobble in turns but nothing for high speed wobble that feels like the *** is trying to come in first and pass the frontend.Had 2 rkc's both have same problem,riden 1 ultra and 2 sg's all have problem above 110 mph.Personally I think its in front end geometry.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
richy rich
Intermediate

Wow!Sure is alot of people raining on poor AaronOregon parade.Put the product up for sale,& make yourself some money for a good product you came up with-I for one would be first in line for it!As if this product would make you crash your bike-LOL!All those negative people simply have to much time on thier hands!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Well done sir!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

Put a waiver in the instuctions.

Keep up the good work!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys for all the positive response. I am moving forward with these and will have them available in a week or two. PM me if you want on the list for one.

Aaron

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mars
But wait....the engine is rubber mounted. It is isolated from the frame and it is supposed to move freely on those mounts. This device, like all of them, just provides a rigid mount of engine to frame and bypasses the rubber mount. It has to transfer stresses to the frame that it is not designed for. Might not be a problem, but it might be a BIG problem. I have noticed the loose rear end but I consider it "character" and it can be resolved by backing off the throttle in the turn and transferring the weight back to the front end. A riding style adjustment is safer, IMO, than totally altering the engine/frame interface. Still, I am a firm believer in the American Garage Mechanics ability to solve any and all trasnportation-related issues and good on you for making something that you like.
This is an attempt at an explanation from an earlier thread RE :rear end wobble
=====================
Take a credit card and hold it in one hand on two opposing edges. Take your other hand and use you opposable thumb and index finger as a pivot in the middle of your card. Your can rotate the card on it's solid axle ( your opposing thumb and index finger ). Now push them to flex the card. The Solid axle is supported in Two Rubber isolators in the frame. All the Touring bikes are. The ability for the solid axle to shift left and right ( pushing or twisting in the isolators ) is where the problem is.

Look closely at the engine/frame trike alignment in the attached. My fingers are in the space where the upper engine Heim joint reinforcing plates broke loose. The frame lug that the upper joint bolts into just snapped off. That is where one of two adjustable rigid alignment fixtures are. The other is located on the left lower frame area. These two adjustable alignment points keep the engine/frame/rear wheel in alignment ( staight line). Until at the rear whell, like the credit card, you flex the rear wheel in that opposite (90 degree) axis. On the trike the glue reinforcement failed, (bad installation) and caused the front mount to separate. The rigid link at the front mount kept the engine in line at the front, but in the turn, without the upper reinforcement, all the torque got applied to the rubber isolators and the front mount. This is an extreme explanation, and would not ever apply that amountof force to a two wheel, but should help explain why the condition dymanically can exist. Harley is now putting the third rigid link on the Sporster, according to the American Rider article.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/9F08F7AEBF4648F2B0374E9FBB5C8B22.jpg[/IMG]

=================================