Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Somebody put some Big Boy pants on and just say:

"I wish I had thought of it and I'm jealous".

A couple of the guys on here actually MAKE stuff and like to share it with others for OUR benefit. Get over it all you "I'm not an Engineer..." and "I'm not a Lawyer..." guys.

"It's got 10 more screws and they are counter sunk!!! Sheesh... Like Oh My God!!!!" Just playin folks...

And dude who made this thing, yeah it looks great, well done. Weld the stuff together and it will function no better or worse than the parts those guys are raping people for 300+. BUT don't be tacky and a Johnny-come-lately and try to make a buck off of it.

Give the plans away. You'll earn more respect and honor that way. Plus think of the friends!

We already got a dude on here that copies parts from other manufacturers and then sells it to site members. It's ok though, he's a forum sponsor.

Sooo don't do that. It's lame.

lp
I'm in agreement here...it would save yourself any liabilities as well to just put up a D.I.Y. posting on how to make your own. Once they take it upon themselves to make the part, I would think they give up any right to sue if they fukk it up.

PS: I was a CNC machinest and my brother in law still is, with full off-hours access to the shop. I've thought about building my own, like you but there just isn't a need with my bike. With my 01 FLHT, I added the Sta-Bo bushings to the rear swingarm and all sway seemed to dry up. My roadglide's suspension is much better from the factory; but if a sway ever develops I'll probably try the easiest fix first with the sta-bo bushings again. Having said all of this, I'd put the plans up for everybody. You can still make a few bucks off those without the skill, resources, or time to make their own.

Last edited by SeaHag; 09-23-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Seahag - At last, a voice of reason!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Yachtman;3898955]AAron,

Now for the 'other side'.

Someone here in this post made an extremely valid point that when you go to an event with a few hundred Touring Chassis owners in the group and ask them about 'wobble', there is a reason most haven't heard of this issue. Mostly it isn't as pronounced as the forum makes it seem to be, as far as wobbles per owner, because we are a small precentage of the true owners group, which is typical of any forum. And then most people who have these 'touring' chassis use them for their intened use.

ALSO, if you want handling, buy a Corvette or a Porsche or BMW K1200. If you want 'ride', as these 'TOURING' chassis were really designed and marketed for, buy a Caddy or a Mercedes or a HD Touring chassis. You get the point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly what keeps coming to mind after reading all the post on this subject.
I have not experienced this wobble on my 08UC. Does this mean i just don't know what it is? I don't think so. I think it means i don't push this tank around like i would a Busa.
I have felt this wobble in my Caddy but not my LS and i drive both cars differently just as i do bikes. I bought this bike to cruise not race. I also wonder how many bikes have been down due to this so called problem. I personally have no need for products like this but do find reading about them interesting.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
cfoster80
Tourer

Originally Posted by Yachtman
AAron,

Now for the 'other side'.

Sorry to say but your plate looks unengineered to me. I like your desire to save money, but I think your plate is a 'warped oil pan' waiting to happen. Bolts are too/over long or the plate is too far from the pan or something, and I see stress big time. And someone is going to get hurt. Just my opinion. Maybe do some R&D before throwing a design out for public use would be prudent. Again, my opinion. If for some reason I wanted to stiffen up the chassis, I'd spend the money for design. And don't tell me about the new '09 design and give me the "what do I think they did that for" routine. Forums and marketing is a powerful tool. [[just look at todays NASCAR race...10 laps..commercial...10 laps... commercial and on and on and on. Thank God for inventing TIVO on the 7th day]]

Someone here in this post made an extremely valid point that when you go to an event with a few hundred Touring Chassis owners in the group and ask them about 'wobble', there is a reason most haven't heard of this issue. Mostly it isn't as pronounced as the forum makes it seem to be, as far as wobbles per owner, because we are a small precentage of the true owners group, which is typical of any forum. And then most people who have these 'touring' chassis use them for their intened use.

ALSO, if you want handling, buy a Corvette or a Porsche or BMW K1200. If you want 'ride', as these 'TOURING' chassis were really designed and marketed for, buy a Caddy or a Mercedes or a HD Touring chassis. You get the point.

I commend you for wanting to make your bike handle better to your *** end and in your mind, maybe even in reality, but to say that I'm "not paying attention or 'don't know no better'" is a joke. I know what the capabilities are of my RK, and even though I might over do it sometimes, I know better than to think my RK is something other than what it is.

And I've had plenty of 'Hot Rods' and Sport Cars over the years, so don't tell me I'm screwed in the head. Each has it's reasons for existence. That you don't agree with me, okay, but that I'm wrong, no.

You say that most people do not know what the so called wobble is. Well most people are Harley Davidson ENTHUSIASTS meaning they dont ride they dump a bunch of money i thier bike but dont ride it you said yourself they are true OWNERS group not true RIDERS group.
Yachtman you also said someone could get hurt and you are right but the last time i checked you get hurt while riding the bike with or without that part on it.
And last of all you say you have had plenty of 'Hot Rods' over the years well isnt that souped up stock car? Well this guy is obviously souping up his motorcycle sounds like a 'Hot Rod MOTORCYCLE' to me.

My point is give this guy a break.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

cfoster,

Forums are a strange place to be. And sometimes, when someone puts out their honest opinion, thay get slammed. I've learned a lot about 'touring' HDs from this Forum.

I have tried to commend him for his efforts many times. But I'm honest in my belief that his design is less engineered than should be to put on the net, or even his own bike. After my being honest, and you'd have to go back thru the thread to read them, I basically got a slight attack. And if you're going to quote someone, make sure you're correct first. I'm really just in defense mode. I still think as far as the 'effort' is concerned, he gets an 'A'. But...

And as cost issue, I'd go with the best engineered piece I could for a part like that. I'd part with an extra $200 for my safety. And there are plenty of great designs of this item available. But be realistic... That piece, in its current form, is going to stress that pan big time. And for a 'wobble' that really has be 'pushed' to be felt? So, you're riding your bike harder than designed for, and bamm! In the middle of that high speed sweeper your bottom end falls out, oil gets under the rear tire, and see ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, you get my point. Do you really need it??

As far as my hot rods go, surely back then, we built some of the most crazy, read: less than safe, cars. But it was my ***. I would never put some of those 'designs' on the internet today. If we were building 1/4 mile cars we didn't use a Porsche and when we went road racing, we didn't use a Caddy. It's a wide analogy but I'm sure in it's simplistic fashion, it's understood.

If anyone really wants to get a true answer, myself included, start a new post for riders that have these units on their bikes now, of any current brand. ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE ONE ALREADY INSTALLED. Ask: after seeing this guys piece, would thay go back in time and buy this guys part instead of the one they bought. I'm sure anyone who has put this type of part on their bike has said 'wow, that's a cool new one' and wondered which was better. So... would they sell their current piece to someone else for the price thay paid, and then buy this new version?????????

I'll stay out of this post from here on, as I meant no harm to any.

Robert

Last edited by Yachtman; 09-23-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: missed a sentence
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Wow.................I didn't mean for this to turn into this! I was just simply taking a combo of all the stabilizers out there and making up my own version for about $30 plus some time. I have been riding it and it works great! I think you will find after researching ALL the different bracket stabilizers on the market that they all pretty much use the lower engine case to mount to. By the way, for the guys worried about hurting your engine case. Your stock allen screws, and my bolts go up into the engine about a full inch above the top of the oil pan. If you ask me, that's pretty strong with 5 bolts working together. Have you ever checked the shear-strength of (5) 1/4" bolts together? It's in the thousands of pounds! Plenty for what this bracket does. Bottom line.....everyone has their own opinion on this stuff, and that's what these forums are for. Me, I would like to just help some guys out like myself that seem $400 is a lot to spend for something so simple! Take it for what it's worth.

Aaron

P.S. I have had a ton of PM's and interest on this, and am putting together a website with downloadable plans and templates for you guys who want to build your own. When I have it up and running, I will become a vendor here and advertise it, along with some other great products us poor people can use at a very affordable price. I promise! No BS!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

PM Sent...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Ordnance rulz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy one also.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Ordnance rulz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars
But wait....the engine is rubber mounted. It is isolated from the frame and it is supposed to move freely on those mounts. This device, like all of them, just provides a rigid mount of engine to frame and bypasses the rubber mount. It has to transfer stresses to the frame that it is not designed for. Might not be a problem, but it might be a BIG problem. I have noticed the loose rear end but I consider it "character" and it can be resolved by backing off the throttle in the turn and transferring the weight back to the front end. A riding style adjustment is safer, IMO, than totally altering the engine/frame interface. Still, I am a firm believer in the American Garage Mechanics ability to solve any and all trasnportation-related issues and good on you for making something that you like.
THINKING THE SAME THING! over time will tell

Quick Reply: Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*