Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars
But wait....the engine is rubber mounted. It is isolated from the frame and it is supposed to move freely on those mounts. This device, like all of them, just provides a rigid mount of engine to frame and bypasses the rubber mount. It has to transfer stresses to the frame that it is not designed for. Might not be a problem, but it might be a BIG problem. I have noticed the loose rear end but I consider it "character" and it can be resolved by backing off the throttle in the turn and transferring the weight back to the front end. A riding style adjustment is safer, IMO, than totally altering the engine/frame interface. Still, I am a firm believer in the American Garage Mechanics ability to solve any and all trasnportation-related issues and good on you for making something that you like.
I can see your point. But the engine has multiple axis for movements even with the the motor mount forward and top. Nothing is really stopping the rear of the engine / tranny from swinging from side to side. Except these type of stabilizers. And this is not the first on the market either, many have gone before this, only in a more expensive sales price!

Case in point, I've borrowed a quote from SKYDOC's post from another thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276105&highlight=Stabilizer

Originally Posted by skydoc
After looking at all the choices, Bagger-Brace was the hands down winner. Nothing on the market comes close for quality, engineering and price. Bike feels like it's on rails, very solid & stable. Customer service is outstanding!

BAGGER-BRACE™ $289 (shipped price)
http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/
VELVA-RIDE™ $78.80
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...gory_Code=MNTS
RevTech $400-$415
http://www.customchrome.com/dcm/cc/view.asp?668101.html
True-Track $398
http://www.true-track.com/
Ultra Ride $391
http://www.terrycomp.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=81
Accu Trak
http://www.purefnperformance.com/ind.../accutrak.html
TXR $400-$450
http://www.alloyart.com/products/txr.html
Tri-Link $351-$400
http://www.alloyart.com/products/trilink.html
*Ride-Str8 $385
http://www.ridestr8.com/
*Stabilizor $349
http://www.cdc-cycle.com/ProductDeta...roductID=20352
*Missing Link $375
http://www.grandeurcycle.com/site.htm
*TWR Missing Link $340
http://www.twrbaggerplus.com/
Glide-Pro $390
http://www.glide-pro.com/
Sta-Bo
http://sta-bo.com/index.html

Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

AAron,

Now for the 'other side'.

Sorry to say but your plate looks unengineered to me. I like your desire to save money, but I think your plate is a 'warped oil pan' waiting to happen. Bolts are too/over long or the plate is too far from the pan or something, and I see stress big time. And someone is going to get hurt. Just my opinion. Maybe do some R&D before throwing a design out for public use would be prudent. Again, my opinion. If for some reason I wanted to stiffen up the chassis, I'd spend the money for design. And don't tell me about the new '09 design and give me the "what do I think they did that for" routine. Forums and marketing is a powerful tool. [[just look at todays NASCAR race...10 laps..commercial...10 laps... commercial and on and on and on. Thank God for inventing TIVO on the 7th day]]

Someone here in this post made an extremely valid point that when you go to an event with a few hundred Touring Chassis owners in the group and ask them about 'wobble', there is a reason most haven't heard of this issue. Mostly it isn't as pronounced as the forum makes it seem to be, as far as wobbles per owner, because we are a small precentage of the true owners group, which is typical of any forum. And then most people who have these 'touring' chassis use them for their intened use.

ALSO, if you want handling, buy a Corvette or a Porsche or BMW K1200. If you want 'ride', as these 'TOURING' chassis were really designed and marketed for, buy a Caddy or a Mercedes or a HD Touring chassis. You get the point.

I commend you for wanting to make your bike handle better to your *** end and in your mind, maybe even in reality, but to say that I'm "not paying attention or 'don't know no better'" is a joke. I know what the capabilities are of my RK, and even though I might over do it sometimes, I know better than to think my RK is something other than what it is.

And I've had plenty of 'Hot Rods' and Sport Cars over the years, so don't tell me I'm screwed in the head. Each has it's reasons for existence. That you don't agree with me, okay, but that I'm wrong, no.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yachtman, everyone has there own opinion I guess! That's yours. Do you see how tight those round spacers sit into the oil pan? That's gonna stop any twisting that could occur. And as far as the oil pan warping.......How? It's still bolted up against the bottom of the transmission tight. If you are one of those that doesn't know what people are talking about when they talk about the "wobble", you might want to read the last 6 pages and over 50 posts with guys liking them and giving positive feedback, just to educate yourself in this area.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronOregon; 09-22-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yachtman
AAron,

Now for the 'other side'.

Sorry to say but your plate looks unengineered to me. I like your desire to save money, but I think your plate is a 'warped oil pan' waiting to happen. Bolts are too/over long or the plate is too far from the pan or something, and I see stress big time. And someone is going to get hurt. Just my opinion. Maybe do some R&D before throwing a design out for public use would be prudent.
yachtman,
Not to rain on your parade, but this is pretty much how the Alloy Art setup is built.
They just clean their setup up with a CNC using billet aluminum.
Other than that, pretty identical

Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

First – great job – it generally feels good when we do something ourselves.
Two – give your wife everything you own.
Three – get a divorce.
Now ship you product.

Keep in the back of your mind that the first time some guy installs one of these and then dumps his machine; you will be getting some interesting telephone calls. If the guy dies you are potentially looking at a wrongful death lawsuit. If you are a mechanical engineer you can at least put reams of paper on the railing to “show” all the calculations done to verify your design. And then there are the expert witnesses. That is if they think you have something they want, probably money. But if you were so unlucky to sell your product to some family guy who liked to wrench his own machine and the family had the money. Then maybe they would come after you just because they could. At that point you are screwed.

And before ya’ll yank my chain I can say I’ve been there and done that. I spent many years in research and development , engineering and manufacturing.

Oh, while this may be a good fix for tail wagging problem it still seems that on other at least two other forums the best fix is new bushings. The next time a stop at the HD parts dept I'll ask when they went to the new bushing material.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 09-22-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad Piggy,

Let's see. Identical??

Alloy Art: Flush mount bolts. Three mounting points between both brackets. Looks like an engineered piece to me. Cost more yes, but really..........come on.

Aaron's: None of the above. Creativity and desire, absolutey.

Aaron, yes I see your spacers, and some oil leaks. Cardboard? Did you take the pan off to accurately measure? Then you should cleaned up before you took the photos. Yes there are those 6 pages with 50 posts. I'm not denying that these are popular items, and that they might also be a good item for those people. And I say bravo to all the companiesselling them, and I'k not trying to hurt sales for those companies. But think... How many HD owners that don't have wobble vs any forum. HD has been building this bike for many years with the same basic layout, and I don't think there are too many class action law suits against them for buiilding a dangerous bike.

And I'm not educated?

If Harleys are so 'unrefined' as compared to sportbikes, why do you own one that you are trying to make into a sporty???

Again, just my opinion and I really do commend you for your effort. Just don't insult those of us who think our HDs ride like they were meant to.

I am 'paying attention' and I 'do know better' and I am 'educated'!!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Bad Piggy,

Let's see. Identical??

Alloy Art: Flush mount bolts. Three mounting points between both brackets. Looks like an engineered piece to me. Cost more yes, but really..........come on.

Aaron's: None of the above. Creativity and desire, absolutey.

Aaron, yes I see your spacers, and some oil leaks. Cardboard? Did you take the pan off to accurately measure? Then you should cleaned up before you took the photos. Yes there are those 6 pages with 50 posts. I'm not denying that these are popular items, and that they might also be a good item for those people. And I say bravo to all the companiesselling them, and I'k not trying to hurt sales for those companies. But think... How many HD owners that don't have wobble vs any forum. HD has been building this bike for many years with the same basic layout, and I don't think there are too many class action law suits against them for buiilding a dangerous bike.

And I'm not educated?

If Harleys are so 'unrefined' as compared to sportbikes, why do you own one that you are trying to make into a sporty???

Again, just my opinion and I really do commend you for your effort. Just don't insult those of us who think our HDs ride like they were meant to.

I am 'paying attention' and I 'do know better' and I am 'educated'!!

+1

Sorry to rain on the parade, but, this is what I see.

This design may be great, but, I doubt it is "the cure" that HD R&D engineers have missed for years. The liability on the designer is tremendous. If a bike goes down, even for a totally unrelated reason, the survivors will come after the designer/seller. They will portray a dangerous product that was never formally evaluated or tested by engineers. Then the jury will be shown that the designer/seller was motivated by profit. Then whatever the designer/seller owns will go to the survivors along with a judgment for future earnings.

I would say it's great for designer's personal use, but, I would never sell one.

Andy

Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Andy Engemann
+1

Sorry to rain on the parade, but, this is what I see.

This design may be great, but, I doubt it is "the cure" that HD R&D engineers have missed for years. The liability on the designer is tremendous. If a bike goes down, even for a totally unrelated reason, the survivors will come after the designer/seller. They will portray a dangerous product that was never formally evaluated or tested by engineers. Then the jury will be shown that the designer/seller was motivated by profit. Then whatever the designer/seller owns will go to the survivors along with a judgment for future earnings.

I would say it's great for designer's personal use, but, I would never sell one.

Andy
I agree with that!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Rags722
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a different perspective. First of all, it was NOT engineered, it is a clone of what's already out there. If you built it for your own use and it works for you, have a ball, but I would not expose myself to the liability of going into production. A single lawsuit could wipe you out, to say nothing of a potential patent infringement lawsuit.
Second, how many of you think HD "engineered" the tranny case to withstand the stress this puts on the case? I suspect they designed the threaded holes to hold on a cover, not to take the repeated stresses this type of product can put on the case. Would you let someone bolt one of these to your case ( out of the bike) and then sit there whacking it with a hammer a couple hundred times? I'd be willing to bet that is in effect the same thing that you are doing several thousand times a ride with this or any other bolt on in place. While it may stabilize the tranny and reduce the dreaded wobble, what happens when you go to drop the pan and find out your tranny is getting elongated holes or worse yet a crack in the case?
Sorry, I bought a bagger for touring/country road riding, not to attack every corner like it was my own personal racetrack. If I wanted that kind of handling, I would have gotten a crotch rocket.
Do I fear the "wobble"? No. I know that the potential exists and I ride my bike for what it is, a 800 lb touring bike. I know that it is possable for a wobble to develop, but I also know that letting off the throttle will minimize the effect.
FWIW, I'd be darned sure I put antisieze on those stainless mounting bolts to reduce the risk of galling when you install them, or you may be in for a real big surprise when you try to remove them.
Rags

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
loftonm
Novice

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
Well, I'm gonna catch all kinds of heat from other stabilizer lovers and makers over this one, but I could not see spending $350.00+ on a stabilizer, so I made my own! Mocked it up with cardboard nice and tight and stuck it as close to the underneath frame as possible. There is about 1/2" below oil pan for airflow. Turned out awesome! Used 1/4" steel and stainless steel bolts. I have gotten a ton of PM's about this. Now I have to be careful to not break forum rules here w/o being a vendor, so before I decide to make them I would need an idea of how many guys on here would be interested in powder coated for $195 shipped, unpainted raw steel for $155 shipped or the emailed templates and blueprints to build your own for $49. I kinda rushed the paint on mine, but I would get others I make powder coated or chromed. Let me know.

Aaron

I am interested in the templet and blueprint for the stabilizer. Let me know how to proceed.
Looks great.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*