Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
1ADAM12
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in it looks great i have been looking at the different one out there but 300-400 dollars .......let us know when u r selling them i want one for sure and maybe a couple of my buddies........

Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
ratcat
Tourer

May I copy your idea and design? You could draw up some plans and templets to sell us all as a do-it-youself kit.

Great job by the way

Last edited by ratcat; 09-21-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 512 Likes on 356 Posts

Nice job !!!
Something these beasts seem to need. Maybe the new frame is the fix. Time will tell.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ratcat
May I copy your idea and design? You could draw up some plans and templets to sell us all as a do-it-youself kit.

Great job by the way
I have had a lot of interest in templates and plans. I am considering getting started on this. Thanks guys!

Aaron

Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Aaron: I tried to PM ya. Don't know if I did or not. Not very computer savy. Anyway regarding your PM to me, that would work for me. Keep me informed. Thanks. Will2002

Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
I have had a lot of interest in templates and plans. I am considering getting started on this. Thanks guys!

Aaron
I would be curious if it could be made to be compatible with a center stand. Doesn't the WheelDock mount in the wishbone area?

spiz

Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Mars
Cruiser

But wait....the engine is rubber mounted. It is isolated from the frame and it is supposed to move freely on those mounts. This device, like all of them, just provides a rigid mount of engine to frame and bypasses the rubber mount. It has to transfer stresses to the frame that it is not designed for. Might not be a problem, but it might be a BIG problem. I have noticed the loose rear end but I consider it "character" and it can be resolved by backing off the throttle in the turn and transferring the weight back to the front end. A riding style adjustment is safer, IMO, than totally altering the engine/frame interface. Still, I am a firm believer in the American Garage Mechanics ability to solve any and all trasnportation-related issues and good on you for making something that you like.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you go the plans and template route let me know. if i ever take off my center stand i would use 1 of these

Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by will2002
Aaron: I tried to PM ya. Don't know if I did or not. Not very computer savy. Anyway regarding your PM to me, that would work for me. Keep me informed. Thanks. Will2002
Got your PM will2002! Thanks.

Originally Posted by spizzyman
I would be curious if it could be made to be compatible with a center stand. Doesn't the WheelDock mount in the wishbone area? spiz
That I don't know! I don't have one.

Originally Posted by blueflht
if you go the plans and template route let me know. if i ever take off my center stand i would use 1 of these
Thanks Blueflht! I'll keep you guys posted.

Aaron

Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This device, like all of them, just provides a rigid mount of engine to frame and bypasses the rubber mount. It has to transfer stresses to the frame that it is not designed for. Might not be a problem, but it might be a BIG problem.
I don't see where it is an issue. As with any of the other units already out there, they don't replace anything that is already on the motorcycle ( like the swing arm ), these units are simply an add-on. There can't be that much of a load to transfer.

Quick Reply: Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*