Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
rlyons
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, give us a price.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been thinking of the same thing...

Good job, did you use the pan as a template?
And is the cross frame pulled apart to insert the link?

I was thinking a grade 8 bolt replacement at that point..

Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

You don't have to pull anything apart to mount it. It goes on in about 20-30 minutes at the most. Very easy to do just lying on the floor. Yes, I used a pan as a template!

Aaron

Old 09-21-2008, 12:02 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Bro I actually like it.....the design looks simple yet effective. The holes in the plate is a good idea, but not too many as to compromise the rigidity of the stock.

Aaron....I do have two questions though. First I am curious as to what year bike your riding, and the oil seepage I see at the trans pan/case gasket area.....was that there already, or did it start as a result of changing the bolts?

Oh....and one last question......how much of a difference have you noticed since the install.....anymore of the flat rear tire feeling in the turns, or that wicked wobble you get on the speedy sweepers?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

The oil seepage was there before installing it. It's on a '08 streetglide and it makes it feel very tight when cornering and just weaving around town you notice a significant difference also. I came off of sportbikes and this makes the bike handle a lot better than stock for sure!

Aaron

Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
The oil seepage was there before installing it. It's on a '08 streetglide and it makes it feel very tight when cornering and just weaving around town you notice a significant difference also. I came off of sportbikes and this makes the bike handle a lot better than stock for sure!

Aaron
Thanks for the reply Bro. The one thing us Harley guys need to remember is that #1 these FL's are big a$s bikes made for gobbling up miles and miles of blacktop in comfort. They will never be sport bikes, or handle "well" in comparison to any modern dedicated sport bike. All I want to do is eliminate the dangerous tendencies the FL's exhibit at times. My 08' StreetGlide has quite a bit of potential in the handling dept....and I think a rear stabilizer and some Metzeler ME880's are a excellent start.

What I cant get over though is the fact that when I am at a HOG chapter meeting, or at any group ride, when I ask other owners of late model (pre 09") baggers if they have ever felt the "problem" and 90% of them look at me like I got two heads. They have no idea what I am talking about.....even after I mention the True-Trac, and thats probably the most well known of the stabilizers....they say they never heard of it. Once in a while you will catch a guy who knows all about the whole thing.

Anyhow....its getting too late on the East Coast to be pondering this stuff. I need to hit the rack if I am going to go riding in the AM!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Good looking job!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 AM
BruceFenster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by biz44
What I cant get over though is the fact that when I am at a HOG chapter meeting, or at any group ride, when I ask other owners of late model (pre 09") baggers if they have ever felt the "problem" and 90% of them look at me like I got two heads. They have no idea what I am talking about.....
Being new to Harleys and with only 1600 miles on my 08 FLHTCU since August I have no idea what your talking about and what this is supposed to be stabilizing.

Perhaps I've felt the "problem". I don't know. Could you describe it better?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 06:33 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a nice part, but before selling these things...

Have you considered the liability that comes with selling parts?

Better be careful.

You just never know.

Hope you sell a million of them...just cover your *** for the one that fails and decides to sue you.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I didn't already own one, I'd ask you to make me one.

Quick Reply: Homemade Touring Stabilizer *PICTURES*