Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Changer

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Changer

Has anyone ever used this Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...submit=find+it

Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 AM
stevelacy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the nomar version, that's a pretty nice piece, made in usa!! I'd take a close look at the clamping pieces, make sure they won't scratch the wheel when you're wrestling the tire on/off.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I use one on the kids dirt bikes. Works pretty good. The jaws clamp the rim at the bead side, a little soapy water and off it goes. Haven't had it long enough to try on the Harleys. I am pretty sure the HD tires aren't as hard as a dirt bike tire. I will probably engineer some kind of cover for the bar to protect the rim.
It has paid for it self just on the kids bikes and I now order their tires on line.
Now balancing a road tire might be the next issue?

Last edited by FXSTDSE2; 09-20-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Balancing is the easy part. Use the "beads" from innovative.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
nerider2
Cruiser

I have one, I have used it on at least 13 tires, it works great. You will also need at least 3 spoons (tire irons, the flat one, not the ones out of your car) and a 2nd set of hands. My wife usually helps me.

I use a Marc Parnes tire balancer, this uses ABEC 7 bearings and sits on a couple jack stands, rotates to the heavy spot, add weights until you have no heavy spot. Check the wheel first, usually the valve stem, then match the dot on the tire with the heavy spot on the wheel. I have gotten lucky a couple times and not had to use any weights. Most tires are marked, but not all.

I also bought a gallon of rubber lube from NAPA. That was fun to ask for. The first set of tires took me a while, now it goes pretty quick. The main thing that helped is to wait for a warm day, the hotter the better, and let the tires sit in the sun to warm up. You can also buy rim protectors to keep from scratching the rim.

The bead breaker on the Harbor Freight works great. I also use an air bubble froms Sam's to pop the bead into place and reinflate the tire.

Go for it, after the first set you will be glad you did.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 AM
08UC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nerider2
I have one, I have used it on at least 13 tires, it works great. You will also need at least 3 spoons (tire irons, the flat one, not the ones out of your car) and a 2nd set of hands. My wife usually helps me.

I use a Marc Parnes tire balancer, this uses ABEC 7 bearings and sits on a couple jack stands, rotates to the heavy spot, add weights until you have no heavy spot. Check the wheel first, usually the valve stem, then match the dot on the tire with the heavy spot on the wheel. I have gotten lucky a couple times and not had to use any weights. Most tires are marked, but not all.

I also bought a gallon of rubber lube from NAPA. That was fun to ask for. The first set of tires took me a while, now it goes pretty quick. The main thing that helped is to wait for a warm day, the hotter the better, and let the tires sit in the sun to warm up. You can also buy rim protectors to keep from scratching the rim.

The bead breaker on the Harbor Freight works great. I also use an air bubble froms Sam's to pop the bead into place and reinflate the tire.

Go for it, after the first set you will be glad you did.

time for me to buy a tire changer and i am really lost. i like the nomar set up but i figure i can make the harbor freight one a no mar as well. what do you use on the clamps to keep them from damaging the wheels? if you are using rim protectors, does it still grip the wheel enough to keep from sliding around? are you using spoons instead of a bar? and last but not least can you point me in the right direction on the "air bubble from sams"?
thanks.

and for you folks that used the h.f. changer for years and then switched to the no mar. are you glad you switched and why? which model did you purchase?

thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
08UC
Cruiser
Default how to seal beads----i dont think so-LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPM6O-eLJmE

Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Good HF tire changer tutorial found HERE

Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 08UC
time for me to buy a tire changer and i am really lost. i like the nomar set up but i figure i can make the harbor freight one a no mar as well. what do you use on the clamps to keep them from damaging the wheels? if you are using rim protectors, does it still grip the wheel enough to keep from sliding around? are you using spoons instead of a bar? and last but not least can you point me in the right direction on the "air bubble from sams"?
thanks.

and for you folks that used the h.f. changer for years and then switched to the no mar. are you glad you switched and why? which model did you purchase?

thanks
There is a fellow name Mitch who makes a really trick set of nylon pieces that cover the clamps of the HF unit so they don't scratch your wheels. He also makes a great bar for removing and installing the tire also with nylon ends. I've been using it for years and it is really slick. If you need any help with changing tires or balancing let me know. I've done hundreds of them

Here are some links to Mitch's parts: Bar HF Covers

Marc

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 AM
08UC
Cruiser

thanks dawg & marcparnes
i had seen the blocks before but could not remember where.
h.f. changer, mojo blocks and lever it shall be.

i may take you up on the help offer when the time comes.
thanks

Quick Reply: Tire Changer