Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I found in the 07 service manual page 8-104:

4. The cruise control module monitors both the engine RPM and the VSS output speed signal. The module signals the stepper motor to open or close the throttle to keep the speedometer output speed signal constant, The engine RPM is monitored to detect engine overspeed, a condition which automatically causes the cruise disengagement.

5. The cruise control automatically disengages (stepper motor drives cruise control cable to the fulll-out position) whenever the cruise control receives one of the following inputs:
a. Front or rear brake is applied.
b. Throttle is "rolled back" or closed, thereby actuating idle cable roll-off (disengage) switch.
c. Motorcycle clutch is disengaged (module senses too great an increase in RPM).

There are additional conditions regarding the cruise on/off switch, engine stop switch and set/resume switch which doesn't pertain to the problem of losing cruise control with the primary gear change.

In Fig 8-137 is a flow chart showing the parameters of the cruise control being engaged and disengaged. The figure has a foot note which is of interest:

*Tachometer receives signal from ECM.

I can see where the 6th gear indicator is affected. To turn on the 6th gear indicator, the bike has to be operating above a certain VVS and the engine at a certain RPM at that speed, from this point up in speed, as long as the ratio between the VVS and engine RPM is maintain, the 6th gear indicator will stay on. If we change the ratio between the engine and transmission, the engine RPM stays higher and never gets to the lower RPM that would trigger the 6th gear light to come on.

Now using the same idea of a ratio between engine rpm and the VVS to allow the cruise control to come on:

I can see where the cruise control would not work in 6th gear, the engine may never be low enough in ratio with the VVS to allow it to engage (ECM thinking the clutch is engaged because of the higher engine speed). However in 4th or 5th gear, I can't see where it wouldn't work. Unless there is a maximum ratio allowed between engine RPM to VVS speed.

These are my thoughts on the 6th gear light and cruise control issues with changing the primary gear ratio, based on the 07's and the service manual. Not sure how the 08's are different.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 09-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 AM
afatheadtoo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DD7 retails for 2895.00 and yes you will lose the sixth gear light although Baker has worked with Dakota Digital who now has a gear indicator light that works to seventh gear. I understand the cost verses a motor sprocket and a DD7 probably isn't for everyone but the gearing is very nice, its quiet, smooth shifting and really brings the bike to life.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Now using the same idea of a ratio between engine rpm and the VVS to allow the cruise control to come on:

I can see where the cruise control would not work in 6th gear, the engine may never be low enough in ratio with the VVS to allow it to engage (ECM thinking the clutch is engaged because of the higher engine speed). However in 4th or 5th gear, I can't see where it wouldn't work. Unless there is a maximum ratio allowed between engine RPM to VVS speed.

These are my thoughts on the 6th gear light and cruise control issues with changing the primary gear ratio, based on the 07's and the service manual. Not sure how the 08's are different.
I guess we could order the speedo recal unit from baker to fool the ecm into thinking the speed matches the rpm. Then, instead of the speedo being about 3 mph fast, it would be more like 10 or so. Lol, this is getting crazy.... I still can't figure out why Rod and Dawg still have their cruise but EG lost his.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by matrix5
I guess we could order the speedo recal unit from baker to fool the ecm into thinking the speed matches the rpm. Then, instead of the speedo being about 3 mph fast, it would be more like 10 or so. Lol, this is getting crazy.... I still can't figure out why Rod and Dawg still have their cruise but EG lost his.
Yeah it would get crazy, it would have to be conditioned before going into the ECM than reconditioning going out to the Speedo, or condition the RPM going into the ECM, than reconditioning it going out to the tach.

I can't explain why one lost cruise and the others didn't, other than EG has a 07 and Rod and Dawg have 08's. Maybe the cruise control is handled differently with the 08's?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
RockingMT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow me Down !

As a new rider on a Harley, I have to agree on first gear too fast. I live in the foot hills on a gravel road. What would be the most economical way to lower the ratio? Down hill riding the rear brake is no fun. Or am I doing something wrong? This was an easy fix on the old metric.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

I found this on another forum thread, it may be helpful with figuring out the cruise control:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/archi...hp/t-9225.html

Last edited by Hog Yild; 09-26-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:55 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Like I said, My cruise works with the EVO Primary gear/chain replacement.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

I found this on another forum, it may be helpful with figuring out the cruise control:

http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...and_codes.html
Good find. The way I'm reading it, cruise would be cancelled by a "242 high rate of engine rpm change (e.g., hit ice or slipping tire)" or maybe by squeezing the clutch and letting it slip a bit. Sounds like from that info, there isn't a situation where rpm not matching speed would cancel the cruise.

I'm going to stop by the dealer on my way home today and see what, if anything, they have to contribute.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by matrix5
Good find. The way I'm reading it, cruise would be cancelled by a "242 high rate of engine rpm change (e.g., hit ice or slipping tire)" or maybe by squeezing the clutch and letting it slip a bit. Sounds like from that info, there isn't a situation where rpm not matching speed would cancel the cruise.

I'm going to stop by the dealer on my way home today and see what, if anything, they have to contribute.
I have an email into EVO Industries, asking about losing the 6th gear light and cruise control on the 2007 touring bikes. They should be able to give us a straight answer on this, if they have done any testing. If not, I'm leaning back to the 30T front pulley on the final drive. I just don't feel comfortable about removing the motor compensator.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

I have an email into EVO Industries, asking about losing the 6th gear light and cruise control on the 2007 touring bikes. They should be able to give us a straight answer on this, if they have done any testing. If not, I'm leaning back to the 30T front pulley on the final drive. I just don't feel comfortable about removing the motor compensator.
I emailed them the other day with no response as of yet. I used the form on their website. My service guy said he didn't see any reason why the cruise would quit working. He checked with the senior SA and both confirmed that 6th light would not work, but neither one could think of a reason that the cruise wouldn't function. Maybe just a fluke with EG's ultra....

Quick Reply: Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?