Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfn

just curious....why does changing the rear pulley teeth count require a belt change?

Is it because the belt becomes too long/short?
(or)
Is it because the pulley is a different width which requires the diff size belt?

i am not going to have super horsepower... probably Stage 1, air cleaner, slip ons-, some kind of power commander.

thanks

It's due to adding or subtracting more teeth than your rear tire adjuster can compensate for. Smaller front drive sprocket = shorter belt, Bigger driven sprocket = longer belt.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tom73
+1 lol
-I'd going to check out the DD7. Low gear is just too fast, and I don't care how much torque you have, you end up slippin the clutch in slow traffic too much and my hand gets tired.. Maybe with close ratios on Baker 7spd tranny, you can short shift the so you can skip say 2, 4, 6 just using the motor's rpm's and bottom end torque to pull the wider gap short shifts. That would great to get up to 7th in a hurry if you weren't under a load where you needed to wind up in every gear.

I can't understand why HD put such a fast low gear in their 6 speed box(10 mph at idle). Sure isn't very friendly in slow moving traffic, starting when loaded, starting on a steep incline, sheesh!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tom73
Guys I will be the guinea pig on this. I called Evo today to order the 49T clutch sprocket and they have the part in stock. No discount for fourm members. I am trying to purchase it through Scott at Hillside since he always is online assisting many forum members here and at VTF so if I am going to spend the money I want him to get a piece of it.

This is going to be installed on an 07 FLHX without cruise. Bike has an HQ103 motor. I will time how long the installation takes and take some photos along the way. If you have any specific questions just let me know. I also put together an excel spreadsheet to calculate ratios. If you want a copy PM me or you can go to nightrider.com. They also have a drive ratio calculator.
Keep us informed on the install and the results. I'm leaning this way as well. I have an 07 Ultra, and it surprises me that the cruise would stop working. Maybe it has something to do with the 08's being fly by wire, vs. throttle cable. But that doesn't make sense either, some here have changed the motor pulley without losing cruise, which I think would have the same results.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Keep us informed on the install and the results. I'm leaning this way as well. I have an 07 Ultra, and it surprises me that the cruise would stop working. Maybe it has something to do with the 08's being fly by wire, vs. throttle cable. But that doesn't make sense either, some here have changed the motor pulley without losing cruise, which I think would have the same results.
I was digging around Bakers site, and found a couple wiring schematics for their Speedo Re-call box. It appears that the cruise & 6th gear light will most likely not work on a primary gear ratio change due to the way HD has set up the sensing lead for the cruise from the speed sensor to the ecm. The 08's are wired differantly, that's probably why they work.
It may be able to be worked around, but would require some type of adjustable regulator or resistor to fake the cruise into thinking that the engine rpms & vehicle speed sensor fall into the "normal" range that allows the cruise to work. I'm guessing that the cruise module thinks the clutch is slipping, or not engaged and doesn't allow the cruise control to activate.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlkSilverado
The 08's are wired differantly, that's probably why they work.
Actually we have "EC Ultra Classic" with a 08 Ultra which lost the 6th gear light and cruise control with the 49T kit, and then we have "rocknrod" with a 08 Streetglide which lost the 6th gear light but not the cruise control with the 30T kit.

Both are 08's, I haven't found an example of an 07. so I can't comment. However I was making an assumption, that maybe it had something to do with the fly by wire throttle of the 08's. But we have two different results.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Actually we have "EC Ultra Classic" with a 08 Ultra which lost the 6th gear light and cruise control with the 49T kit, and then we have "rocknrod" with a 08 Streetglide which lost the 6th gear light but not the cruise control with the 30T kit.

Both are 08's, I haven't found an example of an 07. so I can't comment. However I was making an assumption, that maybe it had something to do with the fly by wire throttle of the 08's. But we have two different results.
Kinda makes you wonder how the thing actually works doesn't it... I'll dig through my manual and see what I can find... For now I'm in a holding pattern on the primary gear swap.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlkSilverado
Kinda makes you wonder how the thing actually works doesn't it... I'll dig through my manual and see what I can find... For now I'm in a holding pattern on the primary gear swap.
It really does make you wonder. To me the 49 tooth sprocket change makes the most sense. I'll take a look in the service manual tonight as well.

I assumed they monitor the vehicle speed sensor, wherever that is. And there shouldn't be a need to compare motor speed (Crank Position) to vehicle speed.
There is a Clutch Switch and a Throttle Roll Off Switch on the the handle bars along with a Stoplight Switch, then there is a Stoplight Switch for the rear brake and an Neutral Safety Switch at the Transmission along with the Speed switch. Oh I forgot the Throttle Position sensor on the throttle body, with all this what more would they need to watch?
I wonder if during the installation the dealer somehow messed up the cruise control on "EC Ultra Classic's" bike. But I'm assuming in all of this again, no first hand knowledge.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 09-25-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added the switches comment
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
tom73
Tourer

Parts ordered today and I should have them by next Friday. Once I get them I will install and let everyone know what I find. No cruise on my bike but I will let you know about the light.

Just curious how often everyone uses cruise. Personally I just use the throttle lock.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

"I wonder if during the installation the dealer somehow messed up the cruise control on "EC Ultra Classic's" bike."

Yeah, I thought that too HY, but why did it work when he put the evo 46 tooth sprocket on ? If he pinched a wire or bent something it wouldn't have worked when he changed back to stock 46 t. But as soon as the 6th gear lit up, he set the cruise and voila, no problem.... Oh BTW, since you need to DRILL out the rivets on the factory 46t sprocket clutch basket, you are committed to Evo's sprockets and special bolts with lock tite holding on the HD clutch basket. Evolution Industries is a reputable company, and I am satisfied with their warranty of the 49t &chain& drill bit I returned for credit. They sent me a N.C. 46t sprocket and new special bolts for the basket bolting again to bring it back to stock, and they paid 1/2 the dealer labor charge for the whole incident. So, it still cost me about 3 bills to find out it doesn't work on my bike. I hope you can avoid my expensive lesson.

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!
P.S. I checked out the Baker DD7 by phone today. $2900 OTD, and 3 hr labor install time. You also lose gear indicator light, and they recommended adding an after market GI light.. Not sure about the cruise dying too like my bike, but, be cautious on this conversion too. They have a reverse gear for $1800 too, but not adaptable to the DD7 as yet.
HAPPY TRAILS~~~

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

OOOPS! Not sure about loosing the 6th gear light on the Baker DD7, as it's high 7th gear is 1 to 1 direct drive, so maybe it would read 7th as 6th. Another thing.
I don't know why Harley Davidson didn't put a slow low gear in the dam thing anyway from the factory..

Quick Reply: Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?