Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Wolfn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what is the best way to do the gear change then??....

change the front engine sprocket
(or)
replace the pulley on the rear wheel?...

If the rear wheel route, what is the stock #
of teeth on the rear and do you go up or down
in teeth (and by how many)?

I just want to get into 6th gear sooner...
i know the engine will be turning more
RPM's doing this, I wont be worrying about top end RPM (in 6th)
because I dont plan on flogging her past 90 MPH.

thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
helikenny
Advanced

I put the Baker 30T pulley and shorter BDL belt on a buddies '07 HQ103 powered Streetglide. We couldn't keep a belt on it. 3 belts later, I went back to stock configuration. The combo of the wheelies and pulley were too much for the belt. However, that combo is awesome for stock/mild engines, to get out of the hole better with less droop between 1st and 2nd. gears. We only gained 250/300 rpm in 6th. which is acceptable. Check out the Baker website.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Originally Posted by matrix5
Don't know why I didn't do a stupid search. Duh. Anyway, I knew the 6th gear light would go away since the computer uses mph and rpm to tell the light to come on, but I don't see why the cruise wouldn't work. Like Rod said earlier, he lost the light, but not the cruise and he has an '08.

I'm trying to think it out in my head right now, but there shouldn't be any difference between dropping teeth on the front and adding them on the back. The ratio will change either way. The transmission will turn slower relative to the engine rpm with either sprocket change, no?

I might shoot them an email and see what their response has been from customers about it.
Matrix... 3 off the front vs. +3 on the clutch does make a differance. Stock 34\46 = 1.35 ratio, 30\46 = 1.53 ratio (Front to 30) 34\49 = 1.44 ratio (+3 on clutch basket)...

I'm at the point where I don't know which way to go.... I believe the primary is the place to get what I'm after, just not positive. I have a 70 tooth rear sprocket that I can put on, but the primary has to come off to replace the belt, and then the speedo has to be delt with, so why not do it the easy way??? I've sent Baker and Evo Industries e-mails, but haven't heard back from them yet. If you come up with something please post it. Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
tom73
Tourer

Guys I will be the guinea pig on this. I called Evo today to order the 49T clutch sprocket and they have the part in stock. No discount for fourm members. I am trying to purchase it through Scott at Hillside since he always is online assisting many forum members here and at VTF so if I am going to spend the money I want him to get a piece of it.

This is going to be installed on an 07 FLHX without cruise. Bike has an HQ103 motor. I will time how long the installation takes and take some photos along the way. If you have any specific questions just let me know. I also put together an excel spreadsheet to calculate ratios. If you want a copy PM me or you can go to nightrider.com. They also have a drive ratio calculator.

Why did I choose this option. First I do not want to lose the compensator on the engine sprocket. While many have removed the compensator and had no issues I for one do not want to take the chance. Also the 30T engine sprocket would make 6th gear too short. The ratio with the 49t spocket in 6th keeps me at 2.97:1. The 30T puts me at 3.1625:1. This is comparable with my 03 FXST which has a final drive of 3.15:1. I know on that bike I could use another gear when cruising at 70. I chose not to convert the clutch and rear pulley due to cost, need to replace belt, and lastly losing my speedo accuracy. I know the speedo can be fixed but regardless why go through all of that aggrevation to end up with the same result. Clutch sprocket is the easiest way to go.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
tom73
Tourer

Originally Posted by matrix5
Don't know why I didn't do a stupid search. Duh. Anyway, I knew the 6th gear light would go away since the computer uses mph and rpm to tell the light to come on, but I don't see why the cruise wouldn't work. Like Rod said earlier, he lost the light, but not the cruise and he has an '08.

I'm trying to think it out in my head right now, but there shouldn't be any difference between dropping teeth on the front and adding them on the back. The ratio will change either way. The transmission will turn slower relative to the engine rpm with either sprocket change, no?

I might shoot them an email and see what their response has been from customers about it.
Depending on what you mean by front and back you may be incorrect. Changing the primary will allow the transmission to turn the same rate relative to the bikes overall speed. The engine will be turning more to make one complete revolution in the trans. If by back you mean the rear wheel sprocket or pulley the trans will have to turn more often make one complete revolution of the rear wheel.

Now if front and back refers to the front and back sprocket on the primary then disregard this reply. No matter what side you change on the engine side it should not matter. Once I get mine installed I will let everyone know about the light. It doesn't matter to me since I can barely see the green light on silver faced gauges.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tom73
Depending on what you mean by front and back you may be incorrect. Changing the primary will allow the transmission to turn the same rate relative to the bikes overall speed. The engine will be turning more to make one complete revolution in the trans. If by back you mean the rear wheel sprocket or pulley the trans will have to turn more often make one complete revolution of the rear wheel.

Now if front and back refers to the front and back sprocket on the primary then disregard this reply. No matter what side you change on the engine side it should not matter. Once I get mine installed I will let everyone know about the light. It doesn't matter to me since I can barely see the green light on silver faced gauges.

Yeah, I was referring to primary gearing only. Either of the two sprocket changes will increase engine speed relative to vehicle/transmission speed. I have no doubt you will lose the 6th gear light. Proof of that is to squeeze the clutch when cruising in 6th and let the engine fall to idle. Light goes out. Not a big deal, IMO.

The only concern I had was the cruise. Rod said he didn't lose his cruise with the 30T engine sprocket, but EG Ultra Classic said he lost the cruise with the 49T tranny sprocket. I was just trying to reason out why it would be different regarding the cruise since both bikes in question are '08 models and both had only changed the primary gear ratio.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BlkSilverado
Matrix... 3 off the front vs. +3 on the clutch does make a differance. Stock 34\46 = 1.35 ratio, 30\46 = 1.53 ratio (Front to 30) 34\49 = 1.44 ratio (+3 on clutch basket)...
I knew the ratios would be different, but it shouldn't matter to the computer which sprocket you change out. Going to a 30T engine sprocket keeping cruise vs a 49T tranny sprocket and losing the cruise doesn't make sense to me. But, then again, I didn't design the stupid thing.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Thanks for pulling the trigger on this one Tom73... I'd be interested in rpms @ 80. I'm seeing the primary as the spot to change the ratio also. Just not sure which way to go about doing it.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
afatheadtoo
Novice

The best fix imho is the Baker DD7 1st gear is lower than stock and all the other gears are closer ratio. it really brings the bike to life. Sounds like if we can get all our ducks in a row we should have one at Biketoberfest for test rides

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Maybe so. Not sure what the price tag is for the DD7, but I'm sure it is quite a bit more than the 3 bills Evo wants. My money tree doesn't have that many leaves left anymore.

Quick Reply: Best Way To Lower Gear Ratio?