Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FLHT extra gauges installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 FLHT extra gauges installation

I will be installing the 2 missing gauge kit for a 2005 FlHT that comes with a new oil sending
unit.

My question is, does the new sending unit take the same size special Kastar racheting socket wrench as the old one?

I noticed they have a 15/16 and a 1 1/16 size. Or do I have to buy both?

There is no freaking room for a wrench or a deep socket to fit it. If I removed the exhaust then I could get a wrench on it. But I would rather order the wrench then open up a new can of worms.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jahays32
I will be installing the 2 missing gauge kit for a 2005 FlHT that comes with a new oil sending
unit.

My question is, does the new sending unit take the same size special Kastar racheting socket wrench as the old one?

I noticed they have a 15/16 and a 1 1/16 size. Or do I have to buy both?

There is no freaking room for a wrench or a deep socket to fit it. If I removed the exhaust then I could get a wrench on it. But I would rather order the wrench then open up a new can of worms.
Can't answer your question, but if you have the HD Service Manual for your bike you may conclude that you don't need to mess with replacing the sending unit since the one on your bike already has the wire that sends the signal to the oil pressure gauge--that's what's in my '04 EG police model.

Since the oil pressure sending unit on your bike already has the wire for the oil pressure gauge (it's brown with a green stripe if it's the same as my '04), don't see why you would need to replace the sending unit.

Also, the wire from the sending unit goes to slot 8 of the gray 12 wire connector located on the silver bracket above the right speaker. To hook up my oil pressure gauge, I simply needed to connect that wire to the gauge (as well as provide the orange/black wires for the power/ground of the bulb and gauge.

Since your bike is a FLHT, you probably already have the two connectors that plug onto the gauge on your wiring harness--the police model didn't so I had to buy them and the terminals from HD to complete the project.

It may be that the sending unit is needed for earlier models than the '04--don't know if the kit you bought comes with instructions. But from my own experience with installing the oil pressure gauge on my own '04, and more recent experience doing a buddy's '06 police EG (which was exactly the same as my installation), I can't see why the sending unit would need to be replaced since the oil pressure sending unit wire is already in the existing sending unit on your bike and that wire is already inside your fairing.

Good luck with your project. Don't know if this info helps or not; but, I'm curious to know if you really need to change the sending unit.