Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals and EFI downloads

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
KingMe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if I wanted to keep my bike stock I would want to have some kind of fuel management to richen the fuel mixture up and cool the bike down. I have had two fuel paks and had success with both. They are cheap to buy, keep an eye out on the classifieds there is always some for sale, and very easy to install. If you are not going to build a high performance engine you cannot go wrong with the Fuel Pak. If you decide to later do a hi-po build sell the fuel pak in the classifieds....just an opinion.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be OK... Performance will not improve just make your putt LOUDER. DON'T throw your $$$$ away on a dealer download... The dealer is required to adjust your putt per EPA standards and thats LEAN... Finish the STAGE 1 and you'll get MORE PERFORMANCE - Re-Deduce the heat factor... You'll much happier...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
FYRDOC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you really want them louder, swap out the stock V&H baffles for some baffles from Big City Thunder......probably the best $80 i've spent on my scoot!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROVPLT
Just bought a set of Vance and Hines Big Shot True Duals ...do I need to download something into the computer or will the stock ECM adjust the fuel mixture by it self. ...can I bolt on the pipes and ride or do I need to install a fuel management system or update the software?
You will unequivocally need to address the fueling issues. See http://i33.tinypic.com/1zps6lu.png where I compared identical setups except for exhaust design. In that image, the primary concern is the graphical shape of the primary fueling factor assignments.

For those who believe you can change parts, including airbox, and not address the necessary fueling changes, they really need to reevaluate their position as it's incorrect to run the bike that way. See http://i36.tinypic.com/emv05.jpg for the main fueling factor changes slip-on mufflers and airbox bring to the stock touring exhaust system (pre 09). No way in either case that open-loop operation will be correct, even if the EFI didn't have the sort of "autotuning" it has which covers every operational area but is not meant to cover changes in breathing apparatus.

Don't listen to folks who say you can make such changes by themselves and don't do it yourself, okay? Please! You'll need to either reprogram the stock ECU with correct VE table values, stick a piggyback fuel controller on the bike, or go with an aftermarket ECU with full-range/function autotuning capabilities.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 PM
ROVPLT
Intermediate

Well thanks again for all the input. As I do plan on installing a high flow air cleaner down the road I went ahead and purchased a V&H fuel pack and will install that when I put the pipes on. That way I am covered for future upgrades.

Thanks, Ryan

Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 PM
ROVPLT
Intermediate

I replied to all of the posts on here and for some reason it did not update the thread. Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I purchased a fuel pack this morning and will install it when it arrives. The pipes are going on tomorrow and when it is all said and done I hope that they sound as good as I can imagine. I went all the way with the fuel pack as I will be installing a high flow air cleaner at a later date.

Thanks Again,
Ryan

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a technician, but the comments from Iceman and Glens make a lot of sense to me. I've always contended that the lean factory tune could use some help when matched with aftermarket slip-ons even though the conventional wisdom is that since it's downstream of the intake there is not significant increase in airflow to warrant ECM changes as long as you stick with the stock intake and filter. What they are saying leads me to think that ANY changes to the system are going to need some tuning to the ECM. I've used the FuelPak with a set of Oval Slip-Ons and it did a great job of enhancing performance, so I assume that the re-tuning took care of the lean mixture. I suppose that a PCIII, SERT, or dealer download would have similar results but it seems that matching a V&H muffler with their own ECM tuner (FuelPak) would be the best setup since V&H has no doubt dyno'ed the combination.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM
ratcat
Tourer

Originally Posted by theiceman
with all due respect;
i hate when all of this comments are made without any real data.trust me be carefull who you listen to.again there is a lot of good people in this forums but also there is a lot of beginers who think they are experts.take it for what is worth.
theiceman

Whoooo....easy there on the trigger!
Where is your Data?
I too am looking for a cheap way to out fit my 08ultra with a set of Krusher mufflers only.
It's not that I'm poor, It's just that I'm tight with my money!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
theiceman
Advanced
Thumbs up pipes and EFI download

Here is my data;
After pipe change my engine ran above 300-330 constant.Pinging was ever present during acceleration and high RPM.Erratic start ups.Iddle was inconsistent.

After stage 1 download temperature whent way down(will not exceed 285).No more pinging at any RPM.Better throtle respond.Start righ up everytime.Constant 980 RPM iddle.

It is not that the AFR is lean.I do not like 14.7/1 but after the download the volumetric efficiency tables are rearrange so it can compensate for the additional volume of air flowing.Think about it.The intake has not change however by changing exhaust the amount of air been discharge has change due to the increase in exhaust diameter.If you blow thru a straw that is half plug your cheecks will puff up do to back pressure.if the straw is not restricted your cheeck will not puff up.your lung capasity is the same however you are able to discharge your lung's quicker.same with your engine your intake does not change but without head pressure you are able to move more volume untill you reach the element's (filter)full potential.A lot of good motorcycle's go to waste do to bad advice and lack of experience and research.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM
boonhog
Stage IV

Nice choice with the big shots. I installed this system on my 08 FLHX. I went with the Stage 1 download and a screamin' eagle air cleaner. Bike runs and sounds great. If you are thinking of going with the quiet baffles,(in my own opinion) don't waste your time. They only decrease the noise 3 to 5 decibles, which isn't a whole lot when were talking about 90 to 95 db at idle. Again, good choice on the exhaust, be safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals and EFI downloads