Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple 75-140 in Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

After a long ride today, everytime, I repeat everytime I put it in neutral it went right in without a hitch, never had that happen before.
www.myoilshop.com All redline products are a little pricey and high shipping but hands down the best oil out there. This place is a little cheaper than Redline directly.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Don't listen to these guys, they're all full of malarkey, take it from me; I use Acme Heavy-duty, and if you don't use Acme Heavy-duty your bike will die within one year.
Acme sucks. I installed it and a wheel bearing went out the next day.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,262 Likes on 2,485 Posts

another vendor to get redline from:

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/redline.html

Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

After a long ride today, everytime, I repeat everytime I put it in neutral it went right in without a hitch, never had that happen before.
You shouldn't have trouble finding neutral with any modern HD. I have never had a problem on this '07 SG and use another brand of gear oil. What are you using now and what did you use before? Are you comparing RL gear oil with the stock factory fluid (Formula+)? Did you change to RL at one of the first services? If so, a new bike can take a while to break-in, and often the change to any gear oil after using the stock Formula+ oil will give you a noticeable improvement.

Originally Posted by Just Me
All redline products are a little pricey and high shipping but hands down the best oil out there.
Please provide evidence for this claim, as I'm eager to see it. I've seen three major oil tests conducted by motorcycle magazines in the past several years and although Redline didn't perform as the "hands-down best oil," it did perform very well. There are other excellent products on the market as well, and in these tests none stood out as the best in all categories.

What I like about Redline is its heavy use of moly in their formula, which is an excellent anti-wear additive. It is not in MTL, BTW, which makes it compatible yet major overkill as a primary oil. Amsoil and HD Syn3 are the only synthetics I know of that have no moly added.

Last edited by iclick; 09-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Iclick

No offense, but.............

[ "Your question was whether or not the heavy fluid would cause problems in winter and you predictably got a barrage of "my oil is better than yours" replies." ]

[ "When reading oil threads, skip over the brand-loyalty drivel and check out those who simply answer your question. Just my 2¢." ]

No offense, but your long answer went nowhere, except to [" has been elevated to religious status in this society."] and even after your edit, I don't think you answered the question!!

I think it was a seasonal question..................

Again I mean no offense.

Last edited by Yachtman; 09-19-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Punctuation correction
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Iclick

No offense, but your long answer went nowhere, except to [" has been elevated to religious status in this society."] and even after your edit, I don't think you answered the question!!

I think it was a seasonal question..................

Again I mean no offense.
No offense taken nor intended. I answered the OP's question to the best of my ability in an earlier reply, so I saw no need to repeat it in the message you cite. That one was admittedly a rant catalyzed by years of reading personal views of oil superiority without empirical data to support them. It isn't the first and likely won't be my last rant on the subject.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
Cycle Gear now has Redline V-Twin Tranny Fluid (with Shockproof) in stock. $12.95. rated equivalent to 75W250 with the friction equivalent of 75W90. Awesome stuff.
Luckily there is a Cycle Gear shop here in Huntsville, AL. But they are online as are other sellers.
That's where I get mine also as I've had trouble finding it in auto parts stores and HD dealerships. Redline is my preference although any synthetic with a GL5 rating should be more more than adequate, and to qoute the scholar, Forrest Gump "And that's all I'm gonna say about that".

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was using Amsoil gear oil in my transmission and switched to Redline this summer. I find that my trans runs quieter especially when hot. With the Amsoil I could hear more whine and gear noise. I'm sold in Redline.

In fact, I recently started using the Redline oil change kit for all 3 holes. Even includes a hat and a funnel. Simple . . . just order it online and wait a couple days for UPS.

Steve

Old 09-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried all different brands, and have settled on what seems to me to make my bike ride the smoothest.

Royal Purple in the engine
Redline shockproof 75/140 in the tranny (I ride year round....sometimes as low as mid 30's..BUT when at home the bike is in a climate controlled room)

Amazingly I am using the HD Formula + for the primary....I used castrol for years, but when I started pulling a trailer about a year ago I was having trouble with my clutch slipping now and then....after many adjustments that did not remedy the problem, it was suggested to change to this...no more slipping.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey iclick, as long as no one is taking any offense to our responses, let me chime in here.
If you were talking to me about selling brand name only as the best, you are indeed misinformed. What I stated was what I USE, have used, and in my opinion that it can't be beat. I also said others are going to have other opinions, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. Your lengthy response, while interesting, and accurate in many degrees did NOT tell me or show me there was anything better. In fact it supported exactly what I'm saying. You can't show me anything that's any better for your tranny than RedLine Heavy Duty Shockproof (Acme) if you like. I was merely sharing my point of view. I'm not selling Red Line, just trying to share some information that I thought might be valuable to another forum member. No flame here, not offended, just trying to make sure you understand what I was trying to say. Now, you can rant, and I guess I can too...

Quick Reply: Royal Purple 75-140 in Trans