Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I or shouldnt I 95"/103"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
buffalo bill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question should I or shouldnt I 95"/103"

I have been riding a 2005 RKC which i love. But like all American motorheads I am just not quite satisfied to leave it alone. Had my bike dyno'd last week by chance at a benefit at local harley dealer $10.00 dynos for charity- 64.9hp 73tq. Now my bike runs well, but after reading and seeing all the upgrade advice I was wondering what I would gain by putting in 95 or 103 kit. Just bragging rights i guess...Does it make any REAL sense to upgrade, besides just going faster,. I just want my engine to run at its best optimal performance. Should I just leave it alone and buy more beer or what?

Thanks for any input....

Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd say if you are happy with it the way it is, spend the money on beer..........................................

Dennis

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I'd say if you are happy with it the way it is, spend the money on beer..........................................

Dennis
+1
Tom

Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm planning a 95 conversion because I want more torque for 2-up and mountain riding and smoother more powerful top end for highway cruising. If you do it, the cam choice is the most important.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

don't do it, just buy me some beer

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Quit being such a light weight about it. Go for the 124" stroker kit. Then let me know how ya talked the wife into it so I can try it.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 vs 110

OK I gotta stick my $.02 in. I was used to a very light bike that I had tinkered with. Then went to an Ultra....UGH what a dog! (compared to the old bike) and Yes I know its not a crotch rocket neither was my other bike. But putting the 110 kit in it what a difference. More git up an go . I do a lot of riding with a friend that purchased a 08 'Lectra glide at the same time i bought my Ultra. We both ride very aggressively. Floorboards are usually grinding away and 7hard on the throttle and brake. I notice a few things. He gets about 1-2 MPG more than I do.I range from 40-47 he is in the mid 40's to 48 on one trip. I set the cruise and there are just about 0 places I have to downshift riding 2 up while ( I live in the white mountains of NH) I hear him downshift just to pull the same grade and sometimes he is solo. I will walk away from him stoplight to stoplight. His is quieter. Mine will get you a ticket from the noise police if ya party where ya aint supposed to...His is a tad smoother vibe wise but not a whole lot. Mine is a bit cooler on the legs (when stuck in traffic they are both still hot on the 'guys') Mine will pick up the front tire... Mine will wear the rear tire out before his.... They will both cruise all day at 80 and think nothing of it. There are trade offs to everything. The best thing I like is when i go to pull a steep grade or pass someone, just twist the throttle and it goes. Would I do it again HELL YES!

Last edited by Ultra110; 09-17-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

How many miles on the bike? I ask because if you keep the bike and put miles on it, at some point you will need to replace the cam chain tensioners; best to check them rather than wait for a failure--that will be a good time to do engine work. Until then, cosider your riding style and what kind of performance you want.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 03 that I picked-up from the engine guy on Sat. Have Jims 95 " cylinders, KB 10.5 pistons, Andrews 55G/gear driven cams, TP rocker boxes, roller rocker arms/lifters, Samson 2 into 1 exhaust. The dyno numbers were 97.4 hp / 104 ft.lbs. All that said it is like riding a new bike, pulls really strong from 60 mph to 90 mph in 5th gear, the only thing I have noticed is the suspension needs up-dating for the power especially full throttle thru the gears. Is it worth $4T+, to me it is, but I'm an old hot rod guy from the 60's. Gary

Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The best performance up grade I have done to my 05 eg was to buy a Nightster,man that little thing is a monster compared to my friends that have spent big bucks on up grades to their big engine bikes and the little dude is stock !!Fly by them like they are standing still,I did not buy the bike for that reason,but man,my friends have new respect for the Sportsters.I am not really into lots of speed anymore,but if I was going to spend money on performance I would do it to a bike like that.

Quick Reply: should I or shouldnt I 95"/103"