Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor Board Mounting Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM
RiverRat64
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Board Mounting Brackets

I've had my '03 RKC for a few years. Over this time I've been grinding the floor board brackets and floor boards cornering. Couple weeks ago using on-ramp, right sweep, the bike actually came to rest on bracket and started to slide across road surface. HOO-YAH, there's an attention grabber.
Anyone know of an after market mount that provides more clearance?
I know, already been told I have the wrong bike but I'm not getting rid of it. No rice rockets here!
I know that there are brackets to move floorboards forward and other ones to move them out an inch- no thanks on moving them out, that will make it worse.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

How about ditching the boards and putting on forward controls???

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
RiverRat64
Intermediate

Thanks Dawg,

That was what the guy told me that works on my bike. I wanted to keep the floor boards for different foot positions but may have to go that route.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the floor boards be replaced with the foirward controls on a dresser? I havent seen any parts to do it.
Sorry, I am a newbie

Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't you worry that leaning the chassis over that much extra will exceed the tires capabilities?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
RiverRat64
Intermediate

I wondered about exceeding the tires capabilities. I took a good look at front tire and "whiskers" are still. It actually looks like there is a fair amount of tire out from center that isn't being used up to this point.

As to forward controls it is doable. There is another thread under "no floorboards" I found tonite w/ pics showing it. However, it appears you can't have crash bar mounted and I won't do that.

I may have to remove brackets and grind some material off but will still end up grinding the outside edge of floorboards. It's already happening. I'll talk to the speed shop does my work to see if he has capability of fabing some new ones for me.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:33 PM
tna1000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is atleast one company that allows you to keep your crashbar while using forward controls. J-Brake I believe is the company. Have you tried moving your boards to the upper position yet. If you look where they mount, you will see different mounting holes. Granted, the one on the right side is a MAJOR pain in the *** to get to, but I did mine and it makes a considerable difference. We just got back from the dragons tail where I always drag my boards and brakets. This trip, however, I didnt. I did get into my pipes, but not the boards. Just something else to look at. Hope it helps.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
tna1000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
RiverRat64
Intermediate

Hey Travis,

I thought about that after reading your post. I will have to double check.
When the bike was rebuilt they may not of mounted in upper hole. Yeah, the r-side is a pain.

Nice looking Custom, l love those chrome wind deflectors.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
RiverRat64
Intermediate

Another note on forward controls. W/ my floor boards and highway pegs I have 6 different positions for my feet/legs. W/ forward controls I would lose this ability to move around which is important for me w/ no cartilage left in my knee's.

Quick Reply: Floor Board Mounting Brackets