Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley and aftermarket stereo question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Harley and aftermarket stereo question...

Alright guys, I know my way around mobile audio (at least I thought I did). So, I went to buy the HU for my Street Glide today. It was a toss up between an Alpine X100 and a 9887...I was leaning towards the 9887 just for cosmetic reasons alone (I dont like that huge **** in the middle of the X100).

As I was discusssing my concerns with the...lets just call him the "idiot" about the two different HUs, he did catch me off guard about one possible issue. He stated he had buddies in a MC and all the Bagger guys (with their blinged out systems...as he called it) wont use an in dash CD HU because the vibration from the bike eventually will ruin the player. They strictly run XM/Sirius and/or iTunes via an iPod.

Is there any validity to his claims? I thought todays technology with the anti-skip/memory in todays players were top notch. Has anyone had these problems or heard of these problems?

It's hard for me to believe the "idiot" because some of the other stuff he was talking about...WOW! I really hate going into car audio stores...the salesmen think they know it all and because you walked in off the streets, you dont know jack ****!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The "idiot" is and idiot. Tons of guys on HDF have replaced HD headunits with aftermarket units; mine has been in my bike 2+ years/30K miles without problems.

If you want handlebar controls of the headunit, check for compatibity with a Biketronics.com or Hawg-wired.com interface unit. Just swapping head units won't provide handlebar controls unless it's an HD unit.

If its an Alpine, you will probably need a PAC SWI-Jack converter. I haven't used these (have a Sony HU), but others have.

If Automatic Volume Control is important to you, the Biketronics interface is the only one that works--they've patented AVC for interface devices, apparently.

You will also need a Biketronics or Hawg-wired installation kit, unless you want to fab your own mounting bracket/facia.

And if you are already familiar with these products/issues, good for you.

Good luck with your project.

Do a search--tons of good information on headunits, speakers, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much and idot

Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The "idiot" is and idiot. Tons of guys on HDF have replaced HD headunits with aftermarket units; mine has been in my bike 2+ years/30K miles without problems.

If you want handlebar controls of the headunit, check for compatibity with a Biketronics.com or Hawg-wired.com interface unit. Just swapping head units won't provide handlebar controls unless it's an HD unit.

If its an Alpine, you will probably need a PAC SWI-Jack converter. I haven't used these (have a Sony HU), but others have.

If Automatic Volume Control is important to you, the Biketronics interface is the only one that works--they've patented AVC for interface devices, apparently.

You will also need a Biketronics or Hawg-wired installation kit, unless you want to fab your own mounting bracket/facia.

And if you are already familiar with these products/issues, good for you.

Good luck with your project.

Do a search--tons of good information on headunits, speakers, etc.
Thanks...I KNEW he was an idiot!!!! Just by the way he was talking. But, I wanted to make sure (I'm not the type to argue about something I dont know for sure...I dont want to be an "idiot").

I do know all about the stuff you mentioned. Again, I'm no stranger to car audio. I have searched and read (I think) all the threads talking about aftermarket audio...but never saw the CD reliablity thing being discussed. So I asked.

Which installation kit looks best? The BT or HW? Is the BT cheaper than the HW? HOLY CRAP!

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I used the Biketronics installation kit and it works and looks fine. But I didn't know about Hawg-wired when I did the install. The Hawg-wired is a cooler installation kit since it uses a metal frame to mount the headunit, and a facia that seems to better match the the inner fairing because it is smooth while the Biketronics' facia is pebble-grained. Decide for yourself if the price difference is worth it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I used the Biketronics installation kit and it works and looks fine. But I didn't know about Hawg-wired when I did the install. The Hawg-wired is a cooler installation kit since it uses a metal frame to mount the headunit, and a facia that seems to better match the the inner fairing because it is smooth while the Biketronics' facia is pebble-grained. Decide for yourself if the price difference is worth it.
Thanks again.

I'll probably go with the the HW if it looks better. When I do the stereo, I'm doing a couple things. Not only the stereo system, but a painted inner fairing as well and if I can talk myself into it...an HID kit too.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Roaddog359
Cruiser

Firecap, Your Alive????????

Listen to the Cap, he knows his stuff!
Originally Posted by Firecap501
Very much and idot

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
ATC2
Cruiser

The 9887 is a great unit, one of the few on the market with a quality DAC, I have it in my car. But I don't think I would want it on my bike. Because of its sophistication it has a lot of settings that you will not be able to adjust while riding. I would recommend something that has a good "no skip" reputation with a usb port in the front. It's is real cool/convenient to load a thumb drive with mp3s and plug it in and out as needed plus they don't skip and no need to carry cds.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ATC2
The 9887 is a great unit, one of the few on the market with a quality DAC, I have it in my car. But I don't think I would want it on my bike. Because of its sophistication it has a lot of settings that you will not be able to adjust while riding. I would recommend something that has a good "no skip" reputation with a usb port in the front. It's is real cool/convenient to load a thumb drive with mp3s and plug it in and out as needed plus they don't skip and no need to carry cds.

Thanks for the input. The DACs are another reason why I like this HU. If I had it my way...I'd put a W200/H701 combo in my bike. Thats what I'm running in my truck and love it.

Most of the settings you mention would not matter on a bike anyway...at least for the most part. I'll just set xovers to my liking and leave it alone. Getting the true ability out of any decent HU on a bike is a moot point.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If speed compensated volume is not important, many of the aftermarket HU out there are compatible with the thumb controls right out of the box. With all the car manufacturers going to steering wheel mounted controls, the aftermarket had to keep up. I just helped a buddy install a Kenwood CD deck in his EGC. Sounds great, no skipping, and his thumb controls work.

Quick Reply: Harley and aftermarket stereo question...