Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley and aftermarket stereo question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Bobberino
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like that huge **** on the x100 either, but I figure itd be a cool and easy way to control the volume. its huge and right there. Im runnin an alpine dvd unit right now, and am switchin to the x100. Let me see your finished product when your done.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
lsc86
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Biketronics kit, Sony MEX-1GP head unit, and Polk Audio 5.25 marine speakers. Originally was going to go with a Sony marine unit, but wanted the built in flash memory [why don't marine units get the goods????], the MEX-1GP was cheap enough so I figured if it crapped out in a year or so I wasn't out too much ching.

Overall the BT kit is as advertised. Although for the price, I was a bit surprised at how much it really looked like it was manufactured in someones garage and didn't realize I'd still have to splice some wires. Module is a bit bulky, but was able to find a decent place to stuff it in there. Bottom line, it works well and sure is nice to have the stock controls to work with.

Did a 2700 mile trip back in mid-August and was pounded with several open plains storms for several hours and the radio did just fine. From an aesthetic point, I think I'd rather have the HD Factory unit in there, but was a bit leary from all the reports of HK issues on the '06 models. Speakers sound great, although I forgot how little bass comes out of a 5.25 speaker. Running down the open road, Rineharts at full honk, no problems getting a loud enough to hear without massive distortion.

Might have to return the head unit for warranty replacement, the antenna socket is flaky, but save that for a winter project. Tried out a couple different rubber antennas and a 'powered' unit from PepBoys too, ended up with the Harley unit and glad I did. Say what you want about HD parts, but they always seem to fit the best, install the easiest, and have the best quality.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

I will try to keep a photo log of my progress, but I get so wrapped up in what I do and forget. Final product...no problem.

List of my system (not all is bought yet, so I could change my mind):

HU - Alpine 9887
speakers - Boston Acoustics Pro50SE 5.25"
Amp - Arc Audio Mini
controls - PAC SWI-Jack
install kit - Hawg Wired

The thing I haven't decided on (or even know if it will work w/ the HW kit) is a water proof stereo cover??????

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I was in the same boat as you about two weeks ago. I went with the X-100, ARC mini, and Alpine Type R components.

I moved the two guages to the lower positions so the tweeters could be more to the level of my ears.

I routed the USB/iPod cable to a guard bag on the left side.

The final result. I also went with the Hawg Wired kit which is top notch BTW!

I haven't done the PAC module yet, but I will soon. I just wanted to enjoy it for a while. Oh ya, I made a thread about my install if you care.

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 09-16-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Bobberino
Road Master

Nice R8rs4lf....I have that same deck in my computerroom waiting for me to stop riding and actually start workin on my scoot.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The "idiot" is and idiot. Tons of guys on HDF have replaced HD headunits with aftermarket units; mine has been in my bike 2+ years/30K miles without problems.

If you want handlebar controls of the headunit, check for compatibity with a Biketronics.com or Hawg-wired.com interface unit. Just swapping head units won't provide handlebar controls unless it's an HD unit.

If its an Alpine, you will probably need a PAC SWI-Jack converter. I haven't used these (have a Sony HU), but others have.

If Automatic Volume Control is important to you, the Biketronics interface is the only one that works--they've patented AVC for interface devices, apparently.

You will also need a Biketronics or Hawg-wired installation kit, unless you want to fab your own mounting bracket/facia.

And if you are already familiar with these products/issues, good for you.

Good luck with your project.

Do a search--tons of good information on headunits, speakers, etc.
sounds good.. and the pac module works great

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
I was in the same boat as you about two weeks ago. I went with the X-100, ARC mini, and Alpine Type R components.

I moved the two guages to the lower positions so the tweeters could be more to the level of my ears.

I routed the USB/iPod cable to a guard bag on the left side.

The final result. I also went with the Hawg Wired kit which is top notch BTW!

I haven't done the PAC module yet, but I will soon. I just wanted to enjoy it for a while. Oh ya, I made a thread about my install if you care.
very nice man, having a hard time viewing the picts. but sounds like a nice setup

Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

r8rs4lf - Yeah, I followed your thread. Nice set-up. I will be using the Boston Acoustic Pro50SE. They have the ability to mount the tweeter on the mid, they call it Varimount. So, I can keep all my gauges and no cutting the fairing.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master

Nice clean install! Normally we add the midrange or tweeter above the gauges so that you can keep all your monitoring. As far as what the "idoit" said I agree with everyone else and have had no troubles.The only thing we have had trouble with has been with putting the flip screen in. I've seen at least 1 have problems with the screen not retracting after very short amount of usage.So we credit the customer back the money and installed a regular head unit.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Ok so for someone that is more at home with a set of feeler gauges and a ring compresser than an Occilliscope and the latin they call OHM's Law ...what pray tell is a PAC module?

Quick Reply: Harley and aftermarket stereo question...