Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping and jerking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:15 PM
NC_Rhody_08_RDKING
|
Stage II
Default popping and jerking

Ok so my 2008 roadking is sitting at the stealership and I was wondering what you guys think.

Took the wife for a 3 hour ride on Saturday and after 2 hours on the road, we took an off ramp and upon downshifting out of 6th, the bike sort of jerked a bit and began to backfire a bit. Not the typical backfire you would expect but more of a little popping sound. When we stopped at the end of the ramp, the idle began hunting up and down a bit and almost stalled out. Upon taking off, the bike hestitates and pops once or twice and then it gets running. Upshift into second/third and the same thing, a bit of popping sound along with a jerk or two and it gets going. Now the bike will not accelerate over 70 mph and seems like it gets bogged down. When crusing at 70 and you get off the throttle, it pops once or twice and then sort of coughs and there is a dramatic loss in power. Hitting the throttle makes it just seem to bog until it hits 70 mph. Rineharts seem a bit louder and then entire engine just sounds off.

I received the recall in the mail for the cracked fuel filter shell but I have no gas leaking. Can the shell be cracked without any fuel leaking. Any idea if that is the proplem.

Water in the fuel clogging a fuel filter or screwing with the fuel injection?

I have 3k miles on the bike and installed a screaming eagle race tuner and had it put on the dyno about 6 months ago. Is it possible to have an electric issue and loose the mapping?

Just seeking info before good ole dealer calls me with his reported findings.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by NC_Rhody_08_RDKING; 09-15-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2008 | 08:30 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Just about like mine acted when the filter canister cracked. Didn't break open, but just a small crack and enough to starve it for gas at 2500 rpm's. You would not see any gas leaking if the canister cracked. It's inside the tank.

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:46 PM
NC_Rhody_08_RDKING
|
Stage II

Thanks Ultra 08, looks like I'll have to wait the 7-10 days for them to get a new fuel filter shell in stock to see if the problem is solved.

Old 09-15-2008 | 09:57 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

My 05 did something similar. It was the fuel regulator. But you could be losing fuel pressure from the filter housing. You have to take the fuel cap off while it's running and see if you see it spraying inside to check for a leak. It's not supposed to. Mine on my 08 looked like Niagra Falls when I looked in side. The filter housing was cracked and it still ran fine. Just a little hard to start. Take it in for the recall and tell them to check it. It's still under warranty.